Wiring organization? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Wiring organization?

Hi all,

My wife and I have inherited a '74 Trillium and the first order of business was to re-run the wiring for the lights. The old wiring was just lying on the floor of the cargo holds (front bench, table seat next to sink) and I was thinking it would be better if I could somehow mount the new wiring so that it was along the top edge of the holds rather than lying on the floor.

I have some adhesive wire holder bases that you can run a cable-tie through but I'm not sure what the best way would be to adhere the base to rough fiberglass walls inside the cargo areas.

Any ideas for mounting things to the insides of the cargo holds? Is this a waste of time and should I just leave the wiring untied at the bottom of the holds?

Thx,

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
I have the same situation in my 73 Compact Jr. When I begin the refurbish in the fall, I will run the wiring thru tubing and attach it with conduit tiedowns. The previous owner has a rats nest of wiring.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Those stick on bases are used on machines I work on. I find they never stay stuck on. I now use ones that use a screw to anchor them. The others seem to be a waste of time. Just my 2 cents.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
Those stick on bases are used on machines I work on. I find they never stay stuck on. I now use ones that use a screw to anchor them. The others seem to be a waste of time. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Doug, the stick ons do not hold over time. We went to the trouble to drill and tap a hole for screws to secure them in our packaging machines.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I used the stick on kind for many years (40). The trick to getting to stick and stick good is to clean the spot with isopropyl alcohol where you want them to stick. If done properly in a few days it's really hard to get them off. With the fiberglass it might take a few cleanings before they'll stick well. Leave them without pressure for a couple days and they last as long as the trailer.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
FYI Scamp stick the wiring down in the corners with hot melt glue or what appears to be hot melt. Again you have to clean to get it to stick.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Replace the tape, skip the screws.

Quote:
Those stick on bases are used on machines I work on. I find they never stay stuck on.
I remove the wimpy double-stick tape that comes with those bases and replace it with:
Scotch(R) Super Strong Interior/Exterior Mounting Tape
This is VHB (Very High Bond) tape and it is superior for mounting anything to fiberglass.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #8

Name: Chris
British Columbia
It seems everyone is suggesting screw on wiring tie-downs but I'm trying to avoid extra holes in the exterior of the Trillium (or the molded benches).

Maybe I'm missing something...

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
It seems everyone is suggesting screw on wiring tie-downs but I'm trying to avoid extra holes in the exterior of the Trillium (or the molded benches).

Maybe I'm missing something...

Chris P.
I have epoxied wooden blocks on the inside of my U-haul to mount electrical components. Then I just use wood screws into those blocks.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote