Wiring questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
So my Trillium has no battery and I would like to add one (or two). The battery wire coming out of the Trill is a flat plain grey 3 wire set up. No idicator of which connector is + or -. Also a green wire enclosed in the centre of the wire harness. What is the use of the green wire and does it attach to a terminal on the battery? I have the original Progressive Dynamics combination power converter. Anyway my only concern is the hookup at the battery site right now. How will I tell which wire goes where? and What is the green for?

Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #2

Never mind, I used jumper cables and put the black - on the trailer frame and the red on one of the trailers battery cables, first one didn't work, the other one lit up the trailers interior lights, so I put black tape on the one that didn't work as that will be the negative terminal. As for the green wire in the middle, who knows. Doesn't look like it was ever attached to anything so maybe just someones home wiring in the past.
Now to decide on an appropriate deep cycle battery. Won't need it that much but will be nice to have.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
there should be 4 wires in your flat pin connection
white ground
yellow left turn/brake light
green right turn/brake light
brown tail
7pin goes like this

black is +
white is -
Green and brown are your brake and turn signal lights
if you see a blue it is trailer brakes
and yellow is back up lights

are you are just useing a 4 pin and a seperat line for lights? or do you have 7 wire pick and chooseing?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
It sounds like this "flat plain grey 3 wire set up" is a piece of cable intended for 120VAC household use, but used in the trailer for 12 VDC. Since the green wire is insulated, it's not the solid-conductor cable for built-in service; it's likely flexible extension cord. It is really unlikely to be larger than 12 gage, and may only be 14 gage, which is marginal for any significant load.

I assume that this cable does not connect to the tow vehicle (and thus is unrelated to the wiring which Al has described), it is not polarized (no indication of which wire is which because the two main conductors are identical), and the green-insulated wire is intended for use as the ground, which does not apply to this DC trailer application. I would consider replacing it.

Also, judging from the test, the negative side of the battery is grounded, which is apparently not normal practice in travel trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #5

No, the flat wire I'm talking about is for the trailer Battery and comes out of the Trailer it is not hooked up to the Truck. I did this test after talking with a Trailer/RV mechanic or whatever you call them. It was a simple test to check which of the two battery cables was positive and which was negative. Now that I know I can hook this up to an RV Deep Cycle without worrying which wire goes on which terminal.