Wiring Questions, etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2003, 06:42 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wiring Questions, etc.

Well, I have decided that I will let someone wire up my 1987 16' Casita and my tow vehicle instead of trying to do it myself.

I was wondering if there are any particular things I should request the guy to do as far as what kind of wire, brake controller, etc., to use?

I am sure whoever I take it to has done this before (crossing fingers!), I just want to get an earfull from you great egg owners.

The Casita has a 6 pin ROUND and the 4 Runner has a 4 pin FLAT. There is a seperate electrical cord coming from the Casita for the brakes (looks like a regular household 3 prong plug).

I am sure I need a brake controller for starters, also probably needs to be re-wired from the truck side to run a line to the battery, etc.

Speaking of battery, this egg didn't come with one. I did see the old one was a group 24EV. Any suggestions as far as what type to get? Amps, group size, etc?

One last question and I will stop with these dumb, newbie problems (I feel so helpless! LOL).

I was wondering about changing the tires. There seems to be two different brands on the Casita. One is a 1957514 and the other is a 1957014. Are those even the correct size in the first place? What size do most of you great people have on your various trailers?

Sorry for all the rookie questions. Thanks in advance for the answers!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #2

Whoooe, I don't think I can answer any of these. I know there was a long discussion on batteries a while back. have you tried the search button upper right corner? also on the home page we have Google. it can just search the FGRVgroup site for matches. both work really well. You could try it and see, and in the mean time someone with some smarts might show up with some answers for you, here. :)

Old 06-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #3

Hi
Trailer tires should be same size.(I am not sure of Casita tire size)
Tires should be trailer Tires not truck or car tires.(A good tire shop will show you the right type)
Batteries ----Buy the biggest and best deep cycle battery you can afford, making sure it will fit in its alloted location.On my Boler I have two 6 volt deep cycle batteries(golf cart)
Brake controler you can buy and have installed at any reputable RV shop.There are a few different types so its your choice.
Have a qualified RV teck do the work for you.Peice of mind is priceless.
Hope this helps.:wave

Old 06-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #4

Dave,
I am a hopeless newbie also, but I did have the same wiring problem.

I went to Las Vegas to look at the egg I bought. I had a four wire flat connector on my truck, like yours. I was able to find an adaptor at the local Vegas Trailer Supply that let me plug in my 4 wire flat connector to the adaptor which also had the blue wire for the trailer brake controller, the white wire for ground, and a yellow wire that was unused at the time.

It cost me $19 which was worth it to get my egg back to San Diego without rewiring my truck 400 miles from home.

I didn’t hook up the trailer brake to pull it back home. All I needed were the lights. When I got home I checked out several RV forums including this one and read that the Tekonsha Prodigy was a decent brake controller.

It was easy to install. I decided to keep the adaptor instead of rewiring my truck. I can connect to either 4 wire flat connectors or my Casita round connector.

The Prodigy was easy to adjust, and works very nicely in my limited experience. Search this and other forums for Tekonsha Prodigy or “brake controller” and you can see what more experienced folks think.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #5

I agree with Mark about the adapter, especially if you have a need to tow other things; utility trailer, boat, etc... You won't need to re-wire everytime you pull a different toy. The best places to get work done that is hitch or wire related is a shop specializing in installing hitches or a U-Haul place, they have all the adapters and wiring diagrams for the different cars. Another thing you can do is go to a Canadian Tire or automotive shop and give them the model and year of your car and there probably is a kit to wire your car; if it is recent, you will find that it is trailer ready in the trunk, maybe with the exception of a battery relay. JD

Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the answers people. It is great knowing there is a community that helps each other out. Especially for us rookies! Maybe someday I too will lend some answers.

I have an appointment with the local RV shop to re-wire everything, including putting in a brake controller. I figure I will let the people that do it for a living do it. Saves me more gray hairs and keeps the woman happy (more important!). I got the egg home safely and will now work on adding the fiinishing touches before we set sail (or should that be lay egg?).

Old 06-03-2003, 10:43 AM   #7

Wiring

Dave,

Make sure they use 10ga wire for +bat and -ground. And they should be run all the way to the battery of the tow vehicle. Use 12ga for the brakes. They will know to put a circuit breaker on the battery lead.