Wiring Solar - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Follow-Up question to mounting Solar Panels.

Wiring Solar into my Bigfoot electrical system. (I hope I can ask this clearly...)

When I add Solar panels to my trailer, I plan on using a controller to "regulate" the charge to my batteries.

My question is, What happens when I am on shore power and the batteries are being charge via the converter and the Solar panels at the same time? Can the shore power/converter hurt the controller? Or visa-versa?

Did that make sense?

Does anyone know of a Simple wiring diagram?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:

Wiring Solar into my Bigfoot electrical system. (I hope I can ask this clearly...)

When I add Solar panels to my trailer, I plan on using a controller to "regulate" the charge to my batteries.

My question is, What happens when I am on shore power and the batteries are being charge via the converter and the Solar panels at the same time? Can the shore power/converter hurt the controller? Or visa-versa?

Did that make sense?

Mike

The idea is to connect the various forms of charging all to the battery/s at the same point.
That way you are simply charging batteries with each of them when each are producing power and the battery acts as a "buffer" sort of to isolate the sources of charge from one another.

So as long as it is connected like that you can not hurt the chargers.

Ed

Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
What happens when I am on shore power and the batteries are being charge via the converter and the Solar panels at the same time?
Nothing.

At least as far as your charge controller is concerned.

Once properly wired to the battery, it can stay as is and not be effected by any other charge method at all.

Ed is correct, the battery acts as a filter of sorts.

You'll be fine.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:

Did that make sense?

Hi Mike, Most voltage regulators have a diode in them, power can only go to the battery from the solar panel. The voltage regulater (solar) will sense the batteries need for charging,and allow voltage to pass to the battery, but if you are plugged in to 110v and your battery charger is working on your converter the solar panel reg will shut down. Hope this helps
Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Mike,

It's a simple wiring. Just take the wires from the solar panel to the charge controller. Then take wires from the charge controller to the battery.

The charge controller will know when the battery needs to be charged and keeps the juice from flowing the other way, that is back to the panel. So, when on 110 the battery should be charged by the convertor and the charge controller will know that the battery doesn't need any juice from the solar panel, that is unless your convertor is failing to charge the battery.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar