wonky wiring - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
We're getting closer! Put a new ball and hitch on the truck, and actually hooked it up to the trailer, not just plugged in the trailer lights, and all clearance lights work. And the running/brake lights work if we hold a wire to something else other than where it is wired in currently.Right now, the brake light is grounded with the black wire from the brake light screwed into the backing circle of the light area, which is painted and not much thicker than a pie plate! So, are you saying that this black wire coming out of the brake light should be connected to the white wire system inside the trailer, and on to the white wire that is then screwed onto the tongue.
Also, when checking all the wiring, I see another potential problem. Behind the outlet on the front of the cupbard, there is a white wire and the black wire hanging free in space. But the outlet still works. Was there something else there in the past likely!
Thanks for all the help. Soon we'll have running lights, and be able to leave the driveway!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...Also, when checking all the wiring, I see another potential problem. Behind the outlet on the front of the cupbard, there is a white wire and the black wire hanging free in space. But the outlet still works. Was there something else there in the past likely!
Are we talking about a 120VAC outlet, like in a house? The scary thing here is that while there are no absolutely predictable colour codes, the common practice for house wiring is a black wire for the "live" side, and white for the "neutral" side (neither is ground, and there's no positive or negative with AC power...), so I wonder if these are disconnected live 120VAC wires! With any luck, they are carrying 12VDC (and still need to be capped off), but they might even have no power on them. I would use a meter (set to the high voltage AC setting to start), and see if there's power there.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...And the running/brake lights work if we hold a wire to something else other than where it is wired in currently.Right now, the brake light is grounded with the black wire from the brake light screwed into the backing circle of the light area, which is painted and not much thicker than a pie plate! So, are you saying that this black wire coming out of the brake light should be connected to the white wire system inside the trailer, and on to the white wire that is then screwed onto the tongue...
It's really hard to say what wire goes where without knowing more about the light fixture. A stop/turn/tail lamp has two bulbs, or more commonly a bulb with two filaments. To run it, there needs to be at least three connections:
  1. the stop/turn power (runs the brighter filament) - one of end terminals on a two-filament bulb
  2. the tail power (runs the dimmer filament) - the other end terminal on a two-filament bulb
  3. a return connection, usually shared by stop/turn and tail filaments, also called ground - the shell of the base of a two-filament bulb
The wire for each function could be any colour... so what's the choice here? If the connections within the lamp are visible, that's what I follow to know what's what.

The backing plate sounds like it is not connected to the return/ground circuit, so connecting a tail light wire to it doesn't do any good... but I'm guessing here.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #18

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I have been following "Wonky Wiring" with interest... I have just finished a total re lamping of our '77 Boler!!! Every exterior lamp is now LED's. I thought I had hooked them up properly as all functions work the way they are supposed too!!! I added a new ground terminal as the frame was so rusty I couldn't remove the screw and re did the Boleresque bare wire loops around the backside of the mounting screws and/or sandwiched between washers on a pop rivet I rebuilt the Porch light with a 13 diode amber clearance lamp fitted inside it and added a new toggle switch on the closet wall inside the trailer. I fitted 10 diode stop/turn/tail lamps inside the original "Top Hat" lenses for a retro look and replaced all clearance lights with 13 diode red/amber units...WOW they are BRIGHT!!! Here in lies the problem!!! The Left rear stop/turn/tail lamp "GLOWS" in the dark all by itself...when the Trailer is hooked to the Tug it goes out and all function properly... If I disconect the white neutral(ground) wire the glow disapears but the lamp doesn't function either The "GHOSTLY" power must be "Crossing over" from the Coach Battery I had installed when we bought the Trailer but where I cleaned out the 7 pin plug and made sure no wires are touching...but still the eerie one eyed glow continues...only visable in the dark!!! and around midnite I am stumped
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #19

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Hi: I have been following "Wonky Wiring" with interest... I have just finished a total re lamping of our '77 Boler!!! Every exterior lamp is now LED's. I thought I had hooked them up properly as all functions work the way they are supposed too!!! I added a new ground terminal as the frame was so rusty I couldn't remove the screw and re did the Boleresque bare wire loops around the backside of the mounting screws and/or sandwiched between washers on a pop rivet I rebuilt the Porch light with a 13 diode amber clearance lamp fitted inside it and added a new toggle switch on the closet wall inside the trailer. I fitted 10 diode stop/turn/tail lamps inside the original "Top Hat" lenses for a retro look and replaced all clearance lights with 13 diode red/amber units...WOW they are BRIGHT!!! Here in lies the problem!!! The Left rear stop/turn/tail lamp "GLOWS" in the dark all by itself...when the Trailer is hooked to the Tug it goes out and all function properly... If I disconect the white neutral(ground) wire the glow disapears but the lamp doesn't function either The "GHOSTLY" power must be "Crossing over" from the Coach Battery I had installed when we bought the Trailer but where I cleaned out the 7 pin plug and made sure no wires are touching...but still the eerie one eyed glow continues...only visable in the dark!!! and around midnite I am stumped
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Alf, Does it glow in the day too? Check with multi meter.
If this is the only light glowing I would start by looking back from this light to battery. Your coach battery must go dead after a fashion if it is keeping a light burning.
Don't park on a city street the police may think your open for business with the RED light on
Gerry the canoebuilder