Wood interior in a fiberglass trailer?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
We also did a project 13 which we called "Shelly"(started with an empty shell) replacing everything with wood and conventional countertops with no significant weight increase compared to a comparably equipped Scamp standard....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

May 2009 021.jpg  

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Looking at the Scamp factory spec sheets, as I suggested, indicates that a 13' scamp will gain approximately of 100 lbs total weight and a 20% increase in hitch weight with the wood interior option.

The OP was asking about adding a complete wood interior, including full wood walls and ceiling. Without what expertise the Scamp factory has amassed in building as lightly as possible, I would hazard a guess that a home built wood interior could easily add upwards of 250+ lbs to an interior.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #17

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't know if you can still buy it or not , but they used to sell graining ink which was used over paint to make an authentic looking wood grain effect.
I did kitchen cabinets with it 30 years ago and they looked really good.
Thanks so much for all your help Floyd - really helps - appreciate it a lot..
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #19

Ontario
Wow - nice! Thanks for your help - I'm learning a lot here!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #20

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
. Without what expertise the Scamp factory has amassed in building as lightly as possible... a home built wood interior could easily add upwards of 250+ lbs to an interior.
Bob, I'm not convinced that Scamp's primary objective is to build their trailers as light as possible - but rather to build them reasonably light while keeping materials cost as low as possible. After all, they are in business to make money. Witness the amount of particle board they use - which is cheaper, heavier, and less durable than the real deal.

I think a home builder - or renovator - could easily produce a lighter trailer than Scamp, even when maximizing the use of wood, through thoughtful design and careful selection of materials. (see Floyd's post). I don't have before and after weights for my Scamp renovation, but I can testify that the presswood bathroom and cabinet doors I pulled out weighed a bunch. The poplar boards and 1/4" birch ply I used to rebuild the interior was light in comparison.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: Scamp vs. Light weight

I was trying to be nice... I didn't want to say flimsy or cheesy.....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
Bob, I'm not convinced that Scamp's primary objective is to build their trailers as light as possible - but rather to build them reasonably light while keeping materials cost as low as possible. After all, they are in business to make money. Witness the amount of particle board they use - which is cheaper, heavier, and less durable than the real deal.

I think a home builder - or renovator - could easily produce a lighter trailer than Scamp, even when maximizing the use of wood, through thoughtful design and careful selection of materials. (see Floyd's post). I don't have before and after weights for my Scamp renovation, but I can testify that the presswood bathroom and cabinet doors I pulled out weighed a bunch. The poplar boards and 1/4" birch ply I used to rebuild the interior was light in comparison.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
It would be interesting to know the weight of a boler whose interior has been finished in wood. Then compare that to some of the trailers in the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread. The "Pine cone" many have seen belongs to one of our members here.
lespnd's Trailer :: The Pine Cone
The Pine Cone's almost done!
The Pine Cone Update
Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Roy! Thats the one I was thinking about.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #24

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
You might check this out.

Gutting a 1974 Trillium
Great - thank you!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #25

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Looking at the Scamp factory spec sheets, as I suggested, indicates that a 13' scamp will gain approximately of 100 lbs total weight and a 20% increase in hitch weight with the wood interior option.

The OP was asking about adding a complete wood interior, including full wood walls and ceiling. Without what expertise the Scamp factory has amassed in building as lightly as possible, I would hazard a guess that a home built wood interior could easily add upwards of 250+ lbs to an interior.
Scamp uses lots of inch solid oak and heavy veneer covered particle boards. Half inch oak and veneer core plywoods would save considerable weight.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
There are trailers that would be less difficult to add a wood interior to. Trailers that have more or less square features. Like the Trillium Jubilee:
Trailer Jubilee 1980 | travel trailers, campers | Moncton | Kijiji

Or Amerigo, Leocraft, Dolphin,...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
Wood details - doors, cabinetry, a panel here and there - go a long way toward softening the look of the interior.

My $0.02: Another consideration with paneling the interior walls is the added weight. If fuel economy when towing is a concern, then the lighter the better.
Wow - that is NICE!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #28

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We also did a project 13 which we called "Shelly"(started with an empty shell) replacing everything with wood and conventional countertops with no significant weight increase compared to a comparably equipped Scamp standard....
Wow - that is seriously nice - very clean looking..