Wood interior in a fiberglass trailer?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #41

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Ciaran, you seem very much in love with the wood interior. I belong to a vintage trailer club and I have seen so many of them with beautiful wood work inside. Have you considered that there are many (non-fiberglass) vintage trailers that you can buy at reasonable prices that will have wood interiors already. Is there a specific reason that you are purchasing fiberglass?
Yeah, I just love the look. Only reason about the fiberglass is simply because I spotted one very close to where we cottage (which happens to be a fiberglass Trillium), and I've never seen any of these small trailers anywhere else - fiberglass or wood. Even searching online for ones for sale comes up with maybe one or two..
Geartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #42

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Here is my input about F.G campers: The main purpose of its design is for...long last, minimum maintenance, LIGHT WEIGHT besides other applications...If one wants to modify them, he/she should put in consideration of its design: More woods tends to add more weights, alter fiberglass shelves/cabinets....tends to..WEAKEN its structure..Whatever you want to do, if one tends to alter a lot from it's original design it won't serve as it's design purpose...Remember, in F.G design of all kinds, you EITHER HAVE ONE WAY or OTHER, NOT BOTH WAYS...Just my thought...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #43

Ontario
Here is one among other applications of fiberglass material: Compared to wood of steel, F.G won't be subject of sucking moisture in case of leakage or rusty like steel. Aluminum would be nice but it adds up cost and more skill of assembling( aluminum welding....). With F.G material, in case of leakage, one could just drill a hole in those grooves of floor to drain water out and no interior affected. In case of shining it up from...vintage, with F.G it is just a piece of cake. F.G is a kind of material for...future application, not as old as vintage F.G trailer itself. It is very easy to work with and cheap, everyone could do the repair on it...Just my thought...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Per speculation as to weight of interior wood cabinetry etc.:

We do have some accurate information per actual weight of at least one wood interior:

Member here Ryan Parsons acquired and completely gutted a Trillium Sportsman, a rear-entry model based on the 4500 that was delivered from the factory with an empty interior. Most folks did the finishing in wood, and this was no exception. Fortunately for us, Ryan weighed the ripped-out guts before disposing of them, and gives the weight of the wood alone he removed as 550 pounds- original quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan parsons View Post
hi folks new to this forum so will try to be brief and accurate. I now own this trailer from the Kootenays. It is registered as A 1969 triple e Sportsman. Although it is a Trillium. I have completely gutted it as the worksmanship in side of it was good it weighed to much for the axles to bear. It weighs 1298 lbs empty spare tire and propane bottle (full) left on at weigh scales. I removed 550 lbs of plywood out of it and it was a real struggle to remove as all was glued nailed and screwed together. The remaining items water tank, heater, sink, icebox and stove top might weigh in at 100 lbs combined if I throw the micro wave and curtains in with the lot.
That quote is Ryan's first posting here, and is post number 53 at this link.

He did subsequently post a thread following the remodel, which can be seen/read at the following: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...man-57672.html
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #45

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
lightweight wood trailer

Here is a steel, aluminum, wood combo trailer that weighs in at 1360 pounds. Might not be quite ready for prime time, but yours for only $11,800.

Lloyd’s Blog: Custom Trailer For Sale in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 2.21.58 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #46

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Here is a steel, aluminum, wood combo trailer that weighs in at 1360 pounds. Might not be quite ready for prime time, but yours for only $11,800.

Lloyd’s Blog: Custom Trailer For Sale in Colorado
Very cosy! Thanks for sharing..
Geartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #47

Ontario
LOL! That's very cool. Congratulation for good work. Any idea for a...UNIVERSAL/SNAP-ON COMBO TRAILER? What I mean is the upper with foldable legs with wheels( for moving) and the lower part has brackets for...SNAP ON That way one could use as..COMBO: utility trailer or camper when necessary. Thanks for photo...