Wood interior in a fiberglass trailer?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Wood interior in a fiberglass trailer??

Hi,

I'm new here and am looking for some advice. I recently came across a Trillium trailer (looks about 20 years old) and am hoping to approach the owner with an offer to purchase. Thing is, I don't like fiberglass interiors - walls, units etc.. Is it possible to change it to a wood panelled interior?? I have no idea so would appreciate any advice at all. Many thanks, Ciaran
Geartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Ciaran.

There are many Trillium owners on here
that can give you some pointers.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
You might check this out.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-58441.html
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You could simply try replacing the flooring with pergot type wood grain flooring. Then replace the cabinet doors with oak doors. By the time you add curtains bedding and upholstery you will hardly notice what little fiberglass is still showing.
Below are a few pics of a trillium we did a few years ago, the oak is bare, and unfinished and the trailer is mid rehab. Sorry no pics of it finished.
Attached Thumbnails
trillium unfinished 025.jpg   trillium unfinished 037.jpg  

trillium unfinished 042.jpg   trillium unfinished 040.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Ontario
wood interior?

Thanks so much for your response - looks pretty cool what you've done to yours. I've attached a photo of the type of wood interior I would like to install in this particular Trillium - what do you think?? Is this look possible in a Trillium??
Attached Thumbnails
camper5.png  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

Ontario
Great - thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

Registry
I don't know if you can still buy it or not , but they used to sell graining ink which was used over paint to make an authentic looking wood grain effect.
I did kitchen cabinets with it 30 years ago and they looked really good.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ive given some thought to adding some wood inside my ParkLiner, to cover the carpeted walls. I have the varnish they used on my cabinet doors... thought of pine wainscoting that they sell at HD.

Someone had a link for an old trailer that was all done over inside in wood and was amazing!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Look up 'wood veneer'. Wood is cut into sheets so thin, it's like a heavy paper. You can see the wood grain and everything; it looks like real wood because it is real wood, only a very thin layer. You could glue sheets of veneer overtop the fiberglass (where it's flat, at least) and then coat it with polyurethane.

Note: I haven't done this, but it seems entirely possible to me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Throw enough time, effort and money at something and you can do practically anything. But, is it practical? You're going to find these trailers are so small you'll spend most of your awake time outside... and there's plenty of wood there.

We're all getting ready for camping season to start. I can't believe the number of posts that I've read over the years where new owners had these fabulous ideas and tore into... and missed an entire season because the trailer was NO longer useable. I'd say change out the doors, you can do that one at a time... and USE it before making massive changes. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geartos View Post
I recently came across a Trillium trailer (looks about 20 years old) and am hoping to approach the owner with an offer to purchase. Thing is, I don't like fiberglass interiors - walls, units etc.. Is it possible to change it to a wood panelled interior??
You did not say which model Trillium. The 1300 and 4500 FG cabinets are structural and glassed in. If one of those, I would not advise it. You can modify a number of things to give you more of the wood look. Floors, doors, end cabinets etc.

OTOH a Trillium Jubilee, Sportsman or 5500 are more suited to your desired interior.

Why not keep an eye out for another make that can be more easily modified to suit your decorating tastes.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Wood details - doors, cabinetry, a panel here and there - go a long way toward softening the look of the interior.

My $0.02: Another consideration with paneling the interior walls is the added weight. If fuel economy when towing is a concern, then the lighter the better.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0642.jpg   IMG_0647.jpg  

Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Another concern I would have about redoing an entire interior in wood would be that of added weight. You might look on the Scamp spec sheets at what happens to their dry weight when the wood interior option is added.

For more "How To" help of wood interiors you might browse some of the sites for those that restore older conventional build trailers, aka "Canned Hams"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
As others have said, the interior of these trailers , with all the curves, do not lend themselves to a panelled interior. It can be done but the time and skill involved is high. Simple changes to "make it yours" can really change the looks of the interior and if done right can actually reduce the weight. My cupboard doors on my Ventura came in around 60-80lbs while the replacement pine doors were about 1/3 the weight and look alot better. My trailer has straight walls and square corners and originally came with tacky wood panelling but has been now done in pine. The process in my trailer was very straight forward as it had wood strapping fiberglassed in to accept the panelling.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20111024-00060 (Medium).jpg   IMG-20111024-00062 (Medium).jpg  

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #15

Registry
We also did a project 13 which we called "Shelly"(started with an empty shell) replacing everything with wood and conventional countertops with no significant weight increase compared to a comparably equipped Scamp standard....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

May 2009 021.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looking at the Scamp factory spec sheets, as I suggested, indicates that a 13' scamp will gain approximately of 100 lbs total weight and a 20% increase in hitch weight with the wood interior option.

The OP was asking about adding a complete wood interior, including full wood walls and ceiling. Without what expertise the Scamp factory has amassed in building as lightly as possible, I would hazard a guess that a home built wood interior could easily add upwards of 250+ lbs to an interior.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #17

Ontario
Thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't know if you can still buy it or not , but they used to sell graining ink which was used over paint to make an authentic looking wood grain effect.
I did kitchen cabinets with it 30 years ago and they looked really good.
Thanks so much for all your help Floyd - really helps - appreciate it a lot..
Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #19

Ontario
Wow - nice! Thanks for your help - I'm learning a lot here!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #20

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
. Without what expertise the Scamp factory has amassed in building as lightly as possible... a home built wood interior could easily add upwards of 250+ lbs to an interior.
Bob, I'm not convinced that Scamp's primary objective is to build their trailers as light as possible - but rather to build them reasonably light while keeping materials cost as low as possible. After all, they are in business to make money. Witness the amount of particle board they use - which is cheaper, heavier, and less durable than the real deal.

I think a home builder - or renovator - could easily produce a lighter trailer than Scamp, even when maximizing the use of wood, through thoughtful design and careful selection of materials. (see Floyd's post). I don't have before and after weights for my Scamp renovation, but I can testify that the presswood bathroom and cabinet doors I pulled out weighed a bunch. The poplar boards and 1/4" birch ply I used to rebuild the interior was light in comparison.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote