Work on scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Name: Rolley3
Trailer: SCAMP
Illinois
Work on scamp

I have a 1985 scamp thats needs some testing and reconditioning. I love my scamp; its been a dream but now because of my health I will need a trailer specilist or a company that can update the scamp. Such as does water work, does heat still work some lights etc. Should it be replaced or ? Please Let me know ( my wife said she saw an add some where in Canada that this company would make it perfect again) Thanks to all. Rolley3 rolley@rolley-art.com
Attached Thumbnails
IMG010.jpg   IMG020.jpg  

Attached Images

rolley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolley3 View Post
I have a 1985 scamp thats needs some testing and reconditioning. I love my scamp; its been a dream but now because of my health I will need a trailer specilist or a company that can update the scamp. Such as does water work, does heat still work some lights etc. Should it be replaced or ? Please Let me know ( my wife said she saw an add some where in Canada that this company would make it perfect again) Thanks to all. Rolley3 rolley@rolley-art.com
From your place it might be best to contact Scamp.
I seem to remember hearing something about a place in Oregon that does that, but Scamp would be a lot closer for you.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going back to Scamp could be very $$$ depending on what's needed.

You could try placing an Ad in Craigslist.org for an experienced RV mechanic. Then interview and check references/work history. I have done this when I needed Toyota mechanics to work on Motorhome drivelines and had very good results.

If you were a lot closer I could be your guy and there are others out there like me that have done RV repair as a side job for years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
"Some Guy" might NOT be the best bet. I would still get a least a quote from Scamp and I'd be pretty careful who I turned loose on my trailer. At least with Scamp there'd be some recourse if they didn't do a good job. A cheap poor job can be more costly than an expensive good job.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Why not at least look at an RV service place near you and see what they can offer?

There is not a lot in these that is different than other RVs except in our hearts?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some Guy ??? NOT

The operative words were "Experienced RV Mechanic", not "Some Guy....."

On several instances, after advertising for "Experienced Toyota Mechanics" I was almost swamped with current and former factory trained Toyota dealership mechanics, as well as experienced independent Toyota mechanics, that were all looking for side work. I have had engines rebuilt, automatic transmissions converted to manual transmissions and even body work done in this manner, all with good results.

When you have Scamp do the work you also have to pay for all of their overhead costs, insurance, unemployment taxes, FICA etc. etc. as well as a profit margin, not to mention two or more round trips to deliver and pick-up your trailer.

And an RV dealer has the same issues, and often even higher labor costs as they may be more accustomed to working on high end trailers and $150k motorhomes where high repair prices aren't going to be objected too. (Did I say Camping World??? ooops).

Again, give it a try, interview the individuals and check work references. Start with a small job and go from there.

The Craigslist ad is free and, unless there is concern about talking to a stranger, the risk is slight.

There is nothing about a Scamp that approaches rocket science, it is about the simplest of RV's, save a pop-up tent camper, and most repairs are going to be described as "simple".

As a rule of thumb, I offer 1/3 of local dealership hourly shop rates and no one has ever quibbled about that. That's usually above the actual rate the mechanic is paid.

Good Luck
------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Going back to Scamp could be very $$$ depending on what's needed.

You could try placing an Ad in Craigslist.org for an experienced RV mechanic. Then interview and check references/work history. I have done this when I needed Toyota mechanics to work on Motorhome drivelines and had very good results.

If you were a lot closer I could be your guy and there are others out there like me that have done RV repair as a side job for years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depending on the size of the town you live in, you may find just the person(s) you need locally. There's at least four here in Portland, Oregon who've worked on our egg trailers. I hope you find someone similarly suitable.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp