World Friendship Company Converters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
World Friendship Company Converters

Just curious is anyone here has or has had a World Friendship Company converter and your feedback. The PO installed the WFCO 8725 so we are re-installing it as we complete our restoration but don't know much about them. This unit appears new and is still available for sale as a current model. The manual said it has reverse polarity fuse protection, 3 charging modes, an automatic cooling fan, a 30 amp main, and 25 DC amps...

thanks for your input
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Unfortunately, everything I have heard about WFCO converters has not been favorable. If it was me, I'd buy a Progressive Dynamics unit. (Which I did myself as well.)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
My WFCO 8725 worked fine for about a year. The converter portion failed due to one of the ceramic resistors coming unsoldered. Trying to repair that but no luck so far. If I can't repair it then I might upgrade to the 35 watt model since the cooling fan setup on that model seems more useful, or check out some other brand.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I have used two of them with no problems.It has been three years since I put one in our current Trilliium-no problems distributing power or charging the battery. I have a friend that put one in a teardrop he built at least 7 years ago and it is still working fine, he also installed one in a canned ham he restored 4 years ago- no problems. Members on this site seem to rely on Progressive Dynamics as the only replacement unit but I'm sure that there is anecdotal evidence against any manufacturer of electronic equipment. I won't hesitate to recommend the WFCO units based on my experience
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Thanks for the input guys...due to budget constraints I am going to stay with the same converter. Based on the specs and our power needs I believe it will do fine. I guess any manufacturer can have a bad unit like a faulty resistor, hopefully this one will last for years.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote