Worried About Heater/Blankets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Yep, those oil heaters are the best..... I have a couple at my house as well as one that we used in the Lil'Bigfoot.
But size can be a problem for storage.
When not being used we would wrap it in a blanket and just lay it on it's side in the hottub. LOL

Old 05-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
When we have shore power, and need heat, we use the heat strip in the A/C. The blankets never get near it!

I carry around 8-16 gallons of gasoline, pump it through lines which run close to hot exhaust then explode it less than two feet from my legs, while traveling over a mile-a-minute down the road with other vehicles whizzing past in the other direction just three or four feet away!
All this modern technology sounds dangerous , then you hear how Great Uncle Clem got kicked in the head by a mule and died as a result!

Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The ducted furnace in my Bigfoot has no surfaces exposed in the cabin, unlike my previous Casitas and Parkliner. If shore power is available, I've always preferred to use my small ceramic heater, because it's so much quieter, but when boondocking would use the furnace only before going to bed and just before getting up in cold weather. Otherwise I just rely on fleece blankets(1,...2,...3) to stay toasty overnight.

Walt

\\
Old 05-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
In my original post I assumed that they were using a portable space heater. If it is a portable space heater, then what I said holds true. If it is indeed an installed RV furnace, then you are probably safe from creating a hot enough surface to reach ignition temperature.

Incidentally, the ignition temperature for paper is actually 451 degrees F, and also served as the name of the old Ray Bradberry Sci-Fi movie (the one where the fire trucks actually went around burning up piles of books,) which was appropriately named "Farenheit 451". Just a little bit of trivia...
Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #19

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
The gravity furnace in my trillium has extremely high surface temperatures and its location relative to the bed is less than ideal. I'm more comfortable running a space heater that swings side to side and has a much better thermostat built in.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #20

SW Virginia
I guess I don't know what a gravity furnace is. I gather it's not the propane furnace commonly used in RVs these days.

Walt
Old 05-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I guess I don't know what a gravity furnace is. I gather it's not the propane furnace commonly used in RVs these days.

Walt
The gravity furnace is basically a bbq burner in a box on the wall. It doesn't have a fan or forced air capability and just radiates heat throughout the trailer (i think it loses as much heat on the otherside as enters the trailer) They aren't very efficient and the surface temperatures are very high. I want to keep it for late fall camping off grid, and to keep it original... but the majority of the time i will stick to my small electric heater as its much more comfortable.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #22

SW Virginia
Thanks Dale
I don't think I've seen any like that on a trailer or other RV. Sure doesn't seem like a good option.

Walt
Old 05-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Walt, don't be so quick to judge. While it is true that a gravity furnace is not very efficient, and the surface temperature gets quite high, they also require no electricity, and provide enough heat for three season camping. They are light, (ish) simple, quiet and fit nicely over the wheel well. Typically they use space that otherwise would be wasted.

Here is what they look like:
Trillium 4500 Furnace

Here is what they look like when taken out:
Trillium Furnaces - 9-3608 Blower
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #24

SW Virginia
Thanks for that David. Interesting for sure. I've never had one of course, but like so many things, some pros, some cons. I can see the benefit of no electricity, but I think I'd choose a Wave 3 if that were the issue.

Walt
Old 05-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Down side to a Wave 3 is that the products of combustion remain in the trailer. Mostly this is water, causing condensation, but if you don't leave a window cracked open, and the O2 level falls, then a Wave 3 will start to make CO. That stuff can kill you.