Yamaha iPower 2000 generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Yamaha iPower 2000 generator

Costco has the Yamaha iPower 2000 generator for $499. Much cheaper than other comparable generators, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it? Also, do you know if it will start our AC? We have a 2004 Casita 17 LD. It sounds like newer AC units might be a problem, but I'm finding conflicting info about older units. It sounds like our AC will run, but it also needs to start! I hate to get in to a bigger generator due to the weight, and I don't care about running the AC and other stuff at once.
Attached Thumbnails
Generator.jpg  
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
That is a fantastic deal! Conventional wisdom is you need a bigger generator to run the AC. I’d like to hear from others as I am shopping myself right now.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
now honda

rumor has it that Honda is out with a 2200w model enough to start an a/c but 1k in price

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I have a 9200 BTU Colman Polar Cub on my Bigfoot the Honda 2000 starts it fine. That is a great deal there.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My bet is that Yamaha will soon be coming out with their own 2200 watt generator. Gotta stay competitive. This bargain basement price may be clearing inventory, or just sucking up as many of the sales as possible before Honda trumps 'em. That is, if the rumored new model from Honda is more than a rumor.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
The pictured Yamaha looks different from our 4 year old one. At the time we were going to get a generator, it came down to Honda or Yamaha. The reasons I went with the Yamaha were: 1) It has a gas shut off to the carb, as well as one on the vent on the gas cap, so one can run the gas out of the carb for storage between use. We store it inside the trailer under the bed, and never have had even a hint of gas odor. 2) The Yamaha has a steel sleeved cylinder, which is reported to give 3 times engine life compared to the Honda. Both generator sets at that time were exactly the same ($999.00) and free shipping. We are able to run our “window” style airconditer, but only if the electric water heater is not trying to heat up to desired temp., or running a hair dryer or microwave (all these items have to take their turn to run individually). You can purchase two gen-sets and run them together as one can with the Honda’s, if you want to keep the lifting weight down by moving one at a time, as apposed to one larger gen-set. Looks like a great deal.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
This generator description is a bit deceiving. Not a Yamaha generator, but "Powered By Yamaha". Manufactured by i Power.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
This generator description is a bit deceiving. Not a Yamaha generator, but "Powered By Yamaha". Manufactured by i Power.
I saw the light when I clicked your link.
Try this one.
https://www.amazon.com/IPower-Runnin.../dp/B075LQQG3P
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I have this one. This as Yamaha stamped on the engine. I believe it was about $599 when i bought it. Carl..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2YDPU6...56850751928601
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
I saw the light when I clicked your link.
Try this one.
https://www.amazon.com/IPower-Runnin.../dp/B075LQQG3P
That's what happens when you don't check a pasted link! Sorry about that (By the was, an impressive keychain flashlight...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I have this one. This as Yamaha stamped on the engine. I believe it was about $599 when i bought it. Carl..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2YDPU6...56850751928601
i have an older version of that SmarterTools 2000, mine only has 1300 watts sustained ('2000 VA peak'), and has a fuel shutoff knob on the main control panel, same yamaha motor. mine has been quite reliable but 2 folks I know got DOA units that wouldn't start. So, caveat emptor.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
So it is a Yamaha engine, in a package made by someone else. Isn't the engine the most important part? It still seems like it may be a screamin' deal.

Read its output claims closely. For example is that peak or continuous power rating? 2,000 watts is right on the edge for AC units. It will start/run some, not others. Peak power is needed at AC start up. I think it says 2,000 peak, 1,600 watts continuous.

All that matters is if it runs your AC.

Correction: Noise matters too. Wha--? I said noise matters too!!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just keep in mind with the 2K units, IF you plan on running a "heat strip" (which my Scamp's Coleman rooftop unit has), it will bring that gen to its KNEES! For our campers, overall a 3K is the more stronger unit if you plan on using it during warm & cool nights. I have a Champion 3500/4000 and it will do ANYTHING it's called upon. I DID test it one time with a heater, coffee maker but when I kicked on a lil toaster oven.... GOODBYE ELECTRONS!

Ok ok..before I'm jumped about the NOISY "Champion" that it is, I only use it at a model aircraft gathering out in the corn/bean fields of Kentucky where there's many of them running. Just saying be sure you count up the "calories" burned before sinking money into a 2K and realize you REALLY should have bought a 3K. Someone mentioned running 2... well that's ok I guess. Just twice the weight trouble and money.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #14

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
2000 watt Yahama

I have the Generac IQ 2000. I have an 8000 BTU window in the front of my 13 ft Burro. I also have a counter height frige and freezer. It starts and runs my A/C really good. Also runs all lights, Tv, Frige, and I have even turned on the small 700 wat microwave to heat a cup of coffee. I just returned home from a 5 month camping trip in the South Southwest. No problems. Ran it every day. Of course I didn't use the A/C very often. I bought mine from a Generac dealer in Crossville Tn for about $850.00 with tax. And TN has 9.5% sales tax too. The main reason that I chose the generac is local dealership and service. It was even rated a bit quieter than Honda. I think that they all are made in China anyway.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This is not intended as an argument. But it occured to me that while this may not power the heat tapes in an air conditioner too well, it might be well matched to a 500/1500 watt ceramic cube heater that many here use. Turn on the stove a few minutes while you make tea, and your heat needs may be met.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've had a Ryobi 2200W gennie for about 4 years now. It ran the AC on my Bigfoot with no problem but I haven't had a chance to try it on my new Escape.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #17

Name: LYNFORD
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
Have any of you heard of Easy Start for AC units. View this site,
BluejayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not arguing. Good point. That's why when you're shopping for a gen, just about EVERY source will tell you the FIRST thing to do is figure up the amperage/wattage you will need.

Another way to handle the "borderline" is to REMEMBER to cut off the heater if you need to use a microwave/toaster oven etc. If you're using a toaster oven inside, it WILL be the heater!

Good points....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
This is not intended as an argument. But it occured to me that while this may not power the heat tapes in an air conditioner too well, it might be well matched to a 500/1500 watt ceramic cube heater that many here use. Turn on the stove a few minutes while you make tea, and your heat needs may be met.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Clicking on one of those Amazon links bought up a page that also had this Westinghouse 2200 amp generator listed, with a quiet 52db rating. Anyone have any experience with the Westinghouse?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
That's what happens when you don't check a pasted link! Sorry about that (By the was, an impressive keychain flashlight...

Yes it was. I added it to my list. 380 lumens and up to 60 hours run time and rechargeable. I'll check the reviews in a few weeks and might pick one up as a gift for a brother who collects lights.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator