Yet another PD 4045 ques. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Yet another PD 4045 ques.

I currently have no electrical in my trailer but I am going to install 12 and 120 v systems shortly. I eventually will be adding solar for most of my needs but want to be able to charge from shore power when it is available and at home.
I am going to buy a PD 4045 and my son, a Journeyman Electrician, will be flying here from BC to install my systems. But he is going to be doing it on the long weekend in July when most stores and certainly automotive and electrical suppliers will be closed.
I am hoping that one (or more) of the forum members who have used this panel and are experienced with electrical installations will kindly suggest other items we might need to do the installation. Even though he can access the online manual ahead of time, there may be quirks unique to the project that are not obvious from the reportedly poor instructions. Being able prepare beforehand would really help.
Thank you in advance.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You'll need the 110 breakers, one of them for a main breaker. Don't remember what I used. Some connectors and maybe a junction box or strip for the 12 volt circuits, fuses for the 12 volt circuits. I installed a battery disconnect switch, but it's not necessary. Check fuse positions with the numbered wires for the 12 volt circuits, a couple of the wires in mine were marked wrong. Figure out where you will be mounting it and if you'll need any tools to cut a hole. That's all I can think of.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I'm restoring my Amerigo and also using the PD 4045. It doesn't say what circuit breakers to use in the instruction manual but there is a sticker on the backside of the front cover with the wiring diagram that gives that info. I found the Siemans brand breakers fit best where the Square D ones actually broke the lower locating tab off the breaker trying to install them. I brought my converter to Home Depot to make certain I was getting the right breakers.

I think a common mistake people make is not realizing the converter needs to wired to it's own breaker for it to work but that connection is shown in the wiring diagram.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I used the 12 volt buss in the PD4045 for the entire 12 volt connections
The charge line from the TV (Including the connection from the solar panel I have added.
There are enough 12 volt circuits to give pretty much each 12 volt load a circuit of it' s own.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Thanks for the feedback. I had not noticed that there was an electrical forum until today. That would have been the place to post this thread so I am going to do a version 2 and post again there.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote