Yet another propane question... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've scanned the boards regarding use of rubber hoses vs. copper. Someone made mention of a rubber hose that runs from the regulator to the copper line of the trailer to allow a flexible connection. This is exactly what I need. The previous owner did not treat the copper line as gingerly as it should have been, and there are some questionable bends in the line. Also, switching from the dual tank system to a single tank has moved the regulator quite a bit closer to the copper line.

I was going to cut the end of the copper line where it is good, and install flexible rubber hose. Is this standard practice? Does someone make the rubber hose with one end ready to fit into the regulator?

(P.S.-I'm not opposed to taking this to the RV place if needed, but if there's an easy, safe fix, I'm all for it).

Thanks,

Todd

Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That's exactly the way my Scamp is setup. Rubber from regulator to copper line running along frame.

Any place that sells high-end propane barbecue equipment should be able to help you. I bought mine at a place that sells/installs gas fireplaces for instance.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Todd,

Many states have requirements that the propane systems must be repaired by trained/certified people. Since you have a system that was "messed with" I would recommend that you have it checked out by someone who knows how to check the regulator pressure, detect leaks in the system, and make sure the appliances are functioning correctly. Be safe!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

Donna-
Thanks for the confirmation and a source to go to. Is it just the 3/8" male screwed directly into the bottom of the regulator or do you have some sort of adaptor? Also, is the hose just held on to the copper tubing with a hose clamp? I'd like to go in with as much info as I can in regards to what I need.

Bob-
The damage seems isolated to the external copper tubing, but I probably will get the once-over at an RV place. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again guys,

Todd
Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No, no hose clamp, but an actual hose fitting, from the copper line to the rubber line, and from the rubber line into the regulator. I haven't a clue what size.... standard I'm thinking.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
No, no hose clamp, but an actual hose fitting, from the copper line to the rubber line, and from the rubber line into the regulator. I haven't a clue what size.... standard I'm thinking.
Thanks so much for the info. A trip to the local RV place is in order, but at least I know what to look for.

Thanks again,

Todd

(now-if I can get the running lights to work to take it to the RV place....)
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Most of the propane systems in smaller "i.e. FGRV" trailers use 3/8" flare fittings. If that's what you have you need a flare nut for the copper tubing end and an in-line 3/8" to 3/8" flare fitting. You can find the rubber hoses pre-made in many lengths at RV and outdoor places that cater to the BBQ grill crowd. The hoses have a 3/8" flare fitting on both ends. I think the one I bought at Camping World was about3' long and cost about $10. A common brand for the hose is Mr. Heater.

If you don't have a flaring tool you'll have to get one. They cost about $15 to $20 but will last forever.

Don't forget to check for leaks after you complete the job. Also, do not use plumber's tape on the connections. Flare fittings seal by compressing the flared end of the cu tubing between the flare nut and the end of the flare fitting.

Again - don't forget to check for leaks!
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You should also get a tubing cutter to make clean cuts before flaring (and don't forget to put the hardware on the tube BEFORE flaring...).

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s296.htm
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane