Yet another short rant - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Yet another short rant

My pet peeve is people who post vague statements condemning this or that and either fail or refuse to provide statistics or personal explanations to justify their positions. It does a disservice to those newbies who may be on the Forum to investigate or to make decisions as to what manufacturer's trailer they may wish to purchase or what options to get. I find it far more helpful when someone "puts their money where their mouth is" rather than making off the wall comments which may create some degree of panic in the aspiring RVer without stating any valid reasons for their opinions, when opinions, in most cases, are subject to question.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Wink

Examples?
Can you prove it?
Were you there?

Rant too vague.
Now I'm panicked,
although I'm not a newbie!

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
1 B Kathleen Smiling Pug.jpg   1 C Kathleen Smoochie Pug.jpg  

Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Examples?
Can you prove it?
Were you there?

Rant too vague.
Now I'm panicked,
although I'm not a newbie!

BEST
Kai
I believe Carl is making a general observation in his post, and is not naming specific people, which would go against the Community Rules.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Continual ranting without a definite specific rant should also be against the rules.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
I some times rant, i always have opinions,a navel & a butt h--- !! On one seems to care.
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If it is a short rant... shouldn't it be called a RUNT?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
My pet peeve is people who post vague statements condemning this or that and either fail or refuse to provide statistics or personal explanations to justify their positions. It does a disservice to those newbies who may be on the Forum to investigate or to make decisions as to what manufacturer's trailer they may wish to purchase or what options to get. I find it far more helpful when someone "puts their money where their mouth is" rather than making off the wall comments which may create some degree of panic in the aspiring RVer without stating any valid reasons for their opinions, when opinions, in most cases, are subject to question.
At forum is a place where people offer up their opinion on the topic presented. Maybe they're knowledgeable, maybe not. Most people who contribute are well meaning, trying to help. They don't want a debate. Frankly, I would much rather they are comfortable contributing than not. And if someone takes some bad advice, remember, we aren't born with a good crap detector. It needs to develope. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Florida
I am referring to posts such as "Goodyear Marathon tires are horrible. I would never put a set on my trailer." Well, why? Explain your reason for your dislike......facts, experiences, etc. But when asked for specifics, the response is something like "They are just no good." I don't see that as helpful to anyone. Are they really bad tires or is the OP just pissed off because the tire had a blow out because it was grossly under inflated. And Jim is correct; I was making a general observation. Many forum contributors go into detail which can be valuable for everyone.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Similar to reading product reviews on Amazon.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Similar to reading product reviews on Amazon.

Yes. Somewhat. I guess I just expect more from the members here than I expect on Amazon.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #11

Registry
"I believe Carl is making a general observation in his post, and is not naming specific people, which would go against the Community Rules." -- Moderator

Yes...trying to make the point, with humor, that the originator of this rant thread did the same thing the rant was against, posted a generality instead of specifics, and to point out the irony. Some understood, but some did not. Sorry if my humor was too vague and general and all! 8) more humor there. Oh, the humanity of the irony!

YMMV. "Prior restraint" as in telling people how they can post their opinions is a little harsh.

GOOD, I see he put up some details, and there you go.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I never RANT... I just go on and on and on.
My own relatives will not open my E-mails because they know it will be a NOVEL.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
"I believe Carl is making a general observation in his post, and is not naming specific people, which would go against the Community Rules." -- Moderator

Yes...trying to make the point, with humor, that the originator of this rant thread did the same thing the rant was against, posted a generality instead of specifics, and to point out the irony. Some understood, but some did not. Sorry if my humor was too vague and general and all! 8) more humor there. Oh, the humanity of the irony!

YMMV. "Prior restraint" as in telling people how they can post their opinions is a little harsh.

GOOD, I see he put up some details, and there you go.

BEST
Kai
The graphics, though disturbing, were effective smilies. Heck, I thought it was funny.

As someone who has been deleted, several times, they most certainly do control how you can post. It is the moderators job.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Ranting about a rant that was about ranting about a rant

Something to think about ...people complain about their own complaints, they complain about other people's complaints, and they even complain about people's complaints about them...so does that make it a complaint or a short rant

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #15

Registry
Dave W -- those graphics are a bit disturbing, aren't they? Both were sent to us as greeting cards. Glad you enjoyed the humor. And, of course, the moderators do their jobs and usually very much for the better of the site.

BillE -- true and fair enough, also clever.

CPW / Carl: once you explained better about the circumstances (names never, nor did you use them), I understood your first post well and agree with you. Generally as you pointed out, If one is going to kvetch, one should at least give one example. Why WERE those tires so bad? You're right--IMHO--inquiring minds want to know!

BEST
Kai
Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I am concerned about the premise here.

This is not a technical site for experts, but an open, friendly, encouraging community that accommodates people with a wide range of knowledge and experience. If we are going to expect a standard of evidence to support every statement, whose standard? No matter how much you know, there is always someone else who knows more. Can I expect to be attacked if my evidence is weak or flawed? That, frankly, chills participation and drives people away.

Sure, there will people who make bald, unsupported statements: "Marathons are garbage," "Propane is dangerous," or "Scamp trailers are the best." Thoughtful readers, even newbies, can recognize those kinds of statements as preferences or opinions, not facts.

If one feels a statement is incorrect or misleading, we are all free to present a counter-opinion, supported by as much evidence as our knowledge and experience allow. I feel it's important that we do it in a way that respects our different levels of knowledge and experience and does not belittle someone else.

This forum has a reputation of being a generally friendly place. From my own experience I have been wrong many times but have only rarely felt attacked or belittled. I vote to keep it that way. According to the community rules:
"Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go."
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Once someone has a bad experience with a product their view really will take on a black & white view no gray area left.

Those of us that have been around know that any mention of tires on the forum is a real trigger for debate.

I've heard it said that customers that are happy say little about a product but one bad experience will generate a huge backlash.
I believe statically you will find this true, but I'm not going to take the time to research it.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I am concerned about the premise here. [/I]

No premise here and no need to be concerned. There were two other threads entitled rant when I started the thread. I belittled nobody. I was merely stating that I find it troubling when someone strongly criticizes or glorifies something but will not express their reasons why. As I said, I find it troubling. You should not read anything into it, including any premise; it was nothing more than a simple statement on my part.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
And yet you did the VERY thing you condemned in the first rant... you left it VAGUE without any "proof" or evidence- just opinion.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #20

Florida
Yet another short rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
And yet you did the VERY thing you condemned in the first rant... you left it VAGUE without any "proof" or evidence- just opinion.

OK, Darryl. I guess you seem to be having difficulty grasping what I am saying. I merely stated that a lot of people post both negative and positive statements without stating the "why." Just what do you find so "VAGUE" or without any "proof" about that. If I said I didn't like to hear dogs barking in a campground at 5:00 am would you tell me I was being vague because I didn't say I don't like to hear black labradors that weigh more than 60 pounds and are over 7 years old barking at 5:00 am on the dot. Or if I didn't post a recording of dogs barking at 5:00 am for you to hear would it constitute "lack of proof?"
Furthermore, In Post #8 I provided clarification of my "pet peeve" that was anything but vague. I used a hypothetical example as forum rules do not allow me or anyone to use specific posts which could be construed as criticism or belittlement of another forum member.
I am sorry if you disagree with my pet peeve or think that my opinion as to how someone might either criticize or glorify a product without explaining the reason is not helpful to others who would like to know their reasons.
I am also sorry that you seemingly do not understand what and why I initiated the thread in the first place.
Kindly my second post (#8). And I find nothing vague in my previous post (#18). Perhaps if others told me it was vague and told me why it was vague......