You Can Repair Fiberglass - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #155

QUESTION: I removed an awning rail and awning on my Bigfoot. We are in the process of patching the holes leftover from the screws and brackets. We have what appears to be extensive cracking in the gel coat in both pictures along with holes through the fiberglass (the horizontal 'lines' under the holes is leftover silicone caulk). Should we use bondo for the smaller screw holes in pic #1, and mat and glass in #2? Or bondo all the way around? Also, any info on preparation of the holes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1434913517021.jpg   1434913535921.jpg  

Old 12-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #156

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
I had wanted to do a bondo, prime, paint thread but I ran into a problem with this thread that really isn't a problem, but is just really the nature of forums. Although I am not an expert at anything, I have owned a fiberglass shop for 39 years. It seems that when a question is asked of the author of a thread, it is answered by many people who may or usually do not know the answer to the question. These experts that chime in for the author of the thread really should start their own thread. Instead they spread misinformation that waters down the original thread and has, in many cases with this one, stopped people from trying. However, I know more people have been helped than not. I am always available by PM and help many people on a personal level this way. I have not figured out a way to solve this problem, so until I do, I won't be doing anymore self help threads, just helping by private message. Thanks...Fiberglass Dave
Dave, please don't be too disappointed by the confusion that pops up here regarding those chiming in with their own answers. Others like me recognize that you started this thread and will read through understanding that while others may offer additional advice or their own answers, we're all looking for your posts as the author. Thanks for taking the time to start this thread so very long ago and having the patience and courage to stick with us as you light the way for many to instill the faith in our own ability to simply try. Great advice based on years of experience will always be appreciated. Your words are priceless.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #157

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trails West Campster, CampStar, Uhaul, Fiberstream
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch-lover View Post
QUESTION: I removed an awning rail and awning on my Bigfoot. We are in the process of patching the holes leftover from the screws and brackets. We have what appears to be extensive cracking in the gel coat in both pictures along with holes through the fiberglass (the horizontal 'lines' under the holes is leftover silicone caulk). Should we use bondo for the smaller screw holes in pic #1, and mat and glass in #2? Or bondo all the way around? Also, any info on preparation of the holes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Here you could get some JB weld at the auto parts store (or similar) fill the holes and scrape flush with a razor blade....let cure....paint the spots with something similar...there are also 2 component fillers that are white in color and would match close enough without painting in the spots. don't worry about the cracks and see if it leaks after the repair. Fiberglass Dave
Old 12-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #158

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Dave, please don't be too disappointed by the confusion that pops up here regarding those chiming in with their own answers. Others like me recognize that you started this thread and will read through understanding that while others may offer additional advice or their own answers, we're all looking for your posts as the author. Thanks for taking the time to start this thread so very long ago and having the patience and courage to stick with us as you light the way for many to instill the faith in our own ability to simply try. Great advice based on years of experience will always be appreciated. Your words are priceless.

Thanks for the kind words...my above words sound quite pissy...there are many ways to achieve a goal and mine are just one way. I encourage others with other methods to start their own thread so we all (including me) can learn. It is mostly boat people (of which I am also) that bring confusion to THIS thread thinking fiberglass is fiberglass is fiberglass. We molded trailer people have very easily repairs that I believe can be done by anyone with no need to pay someone like myself $125 a shop hour to fix. Boats can also be done by most anyone, but they are quite different and a little more complex. Boat repairs done to our trailers are not better or necessary is the only song I sing, here on the molded trailer site. I really like helping others to see the coolness of fiberglass. It truly is a unique medium. Fiberglass Dave
Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #159

Name: Dell
Trailer: Prime Time
Florida
Fiberglass Dave...help! I just put a hole in my 2 month old Toyhauler. I measured wrong and the screw I was using to mount my new tv in the garage area was to long. You guess it, right out the side it came. The end of the screw left a small hole. An earlier post by squatch-lover showed you a picture of a couple of small holes. You suggested to use JP weld. Only question I have is, I'm just wanting to patch it, sand it flat, being careful not to make it any bigger and just cover with a decal. After the JB Weld should I put anything on it first....primer..touch up paint.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #160

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbu1057 View Post
Fiberglass Dave...help! I just put a hole in my 2 month old Toyhauler. I measured wrong and the screw I was using to mount my new tv in the garage area was to long. You guess it, right out the side it came. The end of the screw left a small hole. An earlier post by squatch-lover showed you a picture of a couple of small holes. You suggested to use JP weld. Only question I have is, I'm just wanting to patch it, sand it flat, being careful not to make it any bigger and just cover with a decal. After the JB Weld should I put anything on it first....primer..touch up paint.
Look at this as a good thing. You have your first of many blemishes that you will get using something. The JB Weld idea is a permanent, cheap anyone can do idea that will not be covered. For you, just put some latex caulk or any exterior repair type putty and scrape flush with a razor blade so you don't disturb any more finished area than necessary. Let dry and cover with your sticker....then...forgetabboutit...camp the hell out of the unit and have fun...may the forest be with you...Fiberglass Dave
Old 12-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #161

Name: Dell
Trailer: Prime Time
Florida
Thanks, for the quick response, will do. Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #162

Trailer:
For any fiberglass repair with fiberglass (and JB Weld is just an epoxy putty, I believe), the one preparation is to abrade the existing fiberglass so the repair is being applied to freshly-exposed fiberglass. Ideally the fiberglass is rubbed down with sandpaper to give a 'fresh' surface but inside a small hole that won't be possible - but just getting a sharp point in the hole and wiggling it around will cut up the existing surface to give a better bond. I have a sharp-pointed bradawl that does this well but frankly even a sharpened nail (as in hammer-and-nail, not as in finger-nail!) will do some good.

The bond of epoxy to polyester is so good that I'm sure many people have got away with no surface preparation, but that's not ideal. If repairing polyester with polyester putty (eg, bondo) or polyester resin/fiberglass, the surface preparation becomes important.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #163

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Bookmarking

Nothing to add... Just want to Bookmark this for future knowledge... Now, move on there's nothing to see here... LOL

Dennis
Old 01-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #164

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
You Can Repair Fiberglass

Hi Dennis,
You can subscribe to threads without having to post anything. The app has a subscribe option and the browser version has a subscribe option under thread tools.

Ken
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #165

Kentucky
Best ambient temperature to repair fiberglass

All this waiting around for the "right weather" to effect repairs is driving me crazy. I suspect, but haven't checked, that there is an ideal temperature within which to make fiberglass repairs. What is the best ambient temperature in which to work and how long does it take for a small patched hole to cure? We have more than a few holes to patch and I want to get them filled as soon as possible. Thanks to all who reply here. This information has become one of the most invaluable to our reno project.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #166

Kentucky
All JB Weld created equal?

Quote:
Look at this as a good thing. You have your first of many blemishes that you will get using something. The JB Weld idea is a permanent, cheap anyone can do idea that will not be covered. For you, just put some latex caulk or any exterior repair type putty and scrape flush with a razor blade so you don't disturb any more finished area than necessary. Let dry and cover with your sticker....then...forgetabboutit...camp the hell out of the unit and have fun...may the forest be with you...Fiberglass Dave
Dave, I have stocked JB Weld as part of my tool kit for some time now but I'm wondering if there is a different kind of JB that you'd recommend for fiberglass repair, or is it all the same standard patch material?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #167

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Dave, I have stocked JB Weld as part of my tool kit for some time now but I'm wondering if there is a different kind of JB that you'd recommend for fiberglass repair, or is it all the same standard patch material?
I don't recommend JB Weld...It is just cheap and available and works for a small hole. Lots of things work, I'm just about fix it and forget it and go camping. As far as temperature, read your instructions and follow those to the letter and you should be fine. You can also put a heat lamp on the repair to help with cure. Fiberglass does not like moisture so be sure everything is dry. Give it a try and if it doesn't work the way you wanted, grind it out and do it over. You can't really screw it up so go for it!!! Fiberglass Dave
Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #168

Kentucky
Quote:
I don't recommend JB Weld...It is just cheap and available and works for a small hole. Lots of things work, I'm just about fix it and forget it and go camping. As far as temperature, read your instructions and follow those to the letter and you should be fine. You can also put a heat lamp on the repair to help with cure. Fiberglass does not like moisture so be sure everything is dry. Give it a try and if it doesn't work the way you wanted, grind it out and do it over. You can't really screw it up so go for it!!! Fiberglass Dave
D: Thanks for clearing that up. Would you worry about glass mat to patch a small screw hole or just mix up the resin and plug the hole? b