You Can Repair Fiberglass - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #321

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRMX View Post
Picked up a 77 boler for 1500, which seemed like a steal. Upon further inspection, fount this mess in the back corner!! Looks like they backed the trailer into something and it buckled and cracked the floor and wheel well. Wondering if we remove all this junkie wood and body fill, can we just repair the fibreglass properly. No frame damage but you can see in the pics that because they body filled ove the fibreglass it never even cured properly. Any advise here would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Oh my!! That is a mess. My suggestion would be to get all the filler off, a big job. Then get the fibreglass back to the correct shape using support rods, (like these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/63-t...t/PA0008888745). Then, when you are happy with the shape, you can stabilize the glass using short 2x4's, on the inside like staples. With the narrow side of the 2x4 against the fibreglass. You may need to shape the side against the glass to match the original shape of the fibreglass. Drill a hole, or two through the fibreglass, on each side of the crack, and screw into the wood, through the drilled holes to stabilize the shape. Do this every so often along the crack(s). Then grind the glass 1” to 2” on either side of the crack, from both the outside and the inside of the trailer, so that it tapers from the full thickness down to paper thin but still touching. Then fill in the ground out parts with new glass mat and resin. Go a little thicker than the original. Sand/grind the outside surface smooth. Then using Bondo, get it smooth enough to paint. This will become an iterative process. Sand off too much, put more down. Put down too much, sand it off, till you are happy with it.

It should be mentioned that this process is recommended, even where the crack didn’t separate. That is, where the fibreglass folded, but is still attached.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:01 PM   #322

Name: Matt
Trailer: 13' 1977 boler
Ontario
Thanks David! Great idea with the support bar. Alot of the body fill is coming off quite easily would you suggest just grinding off the remaining or a 40 grit sandpaper?
MattRMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #323

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thanks David! Great idea with the support bar. Alot of the body fill is coming off quite easily would you suggest just grinding off the remaining or a 40 grit sandpaper?
I am a fan of grinders. But be careful. They are fast, but on fibreglass, they can quickly cause a lot of damage.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #324

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I have grinders, disk sanders, circular vibration sanders, block sanding.
Use sanders in finishing, there are nice 40 grit down to 400 grit sanding disks, bendable, flexible.
you can use autobody repair planes. they are metal or plastic framed. A very toothy cutting surface. they are nice for cutting fiberglass mat ( and bondo ) that is not yet fully cured. Like grading cheese. they don't work on cured surfaces. You can flatten a surface, add more mat, cut the uncured surface, keep working building up layers not waiting for tomorrow; when the resin is hard enough to work with.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #325

Name: Matt
Trailer: 13' 1977 boler
Ontario
Can anyone tell me the specs for the type of fibreglass I should be using on the damaged floor in our 77 13' boler. Have a hole we have to fill in and once new marine ply floor is installed, we will want to do all the edge so its attached to the sidewalls. Thanks all!
MattRMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #326

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Oh my!! That is a mess. My suggestion would be to get all the filler off, a big job. Then get the fibreglass back to the correct shape using support rods, (like these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/63-t...t/PA0008888745). Then, when you are happy with the shape, you can stabilize the glass using short 2x4's, on the inside like staples. With the narrow side of the 2x4 against the fibreglass. You may need to shape the side against the glass to match the original shape of the fibreglass. Drill a hole, or two through the fibreglass, on each side of the crack, and screw into the wood, through the drilled holes to stabilize the shape. Do this every so often along the crack(s). Then grind the glass 1” to 2” on either side of the crack, from both the outside and the inside of the trailer, so that it tapers from the full thickness down to paper thin but still touching. Then fill in the ground out parts with new glass mat and resin. Go a little thicker than the original. Sand/grind the outside surface smooth. Then using Bondo, get it smooth enough to paint. This will become an iterative process. Sand off too much, put more down. Put down too much, sand it off, till you are happy with it.

It should be mentioned that this process is recommended, even where the crack didn’t separate. That is, where the fibreglass folded, but is still attached.
I like the support rods idea. I was wondering would it be a good idea to apply heat to the fiberglass when pushing it back into shape? My boler was hit by a Moose In the front corner pushing it in a little and creating a crack. I tried to push it out but it is very difficult to budge. I tried a space heater and that helped me to push part 0f it but I would need a lot more widespread heat and be able to push out a larger area right at the belly band area.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #327

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the specs for the type of fibreglass I should be using on the damaged floor in our 77 13' boler. Have a hole we have to fill in and once new marine ply floor is installed, we will want to do all the edge so its attached to the sidewalls. Thanks all!
Polyester resin and layers of mat and weave glass should get the job done.
Your boler was made with it over 40 years ago and is still in use today.
Fred
Old 06-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #328

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkovich View Post
Hello, I went back to the first thread to ask this question and not sure if it is still active. I built a new lightweight wood table and bought Dyer table hardware strips that attach to the table end and to the trailer. We did not have success with the epoxy attaching wood piece to the trailer. When I took off the duct tape the wood strip came off too. But reading through several of your posts it's probably due to not enough prep work. I really don't want to drill holes to support this end of the table as it would add a lot of stress to trailer body. Do you think the epoxy is the answer if properly prepped?
Thanks so much!
Julie in WA
Ive never used epoxy on my boler, never will. The link in my signature post 149 is a bit of a tutorial on how I attached a wall mount TV bracket to our boler.
The same process could be used on your project.
Fred
Old 03-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #329

Name: D Jean
Trailer: Hunter I
Kansas
Following with interest! Excellent detailed helpful information.
D Jean Fullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:50 PM   #330

Name: D Jean
Trailer: Hunter I
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
Since this is my FAVORITE site, I vote for no changes...I don't know everything and don't have the desire to become an expert, only to devise steps from my experience that will work for the first timer, and not cost them an arm and a leg to improve their trailer. Some good ideas above, but too radical for me right now. Thank you for the acceptance.
Thank you for your posting from experience. Experience is by far the best teacher.
D Jean Fullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #331

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Great thread, as an ex yacht builder first worked in FG in the 1970's everything you have said so far is right on the money.
There is a ton of misinformation about FG, glad to see someone working to inform folks.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:05 PM   #332

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
There is a ton of misinformation about FG, glad to see someone working to inform folks.
There are 330 posts prior to yours. Which one are you responding to?
Old 10-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #333

Name: Eric
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Best DIY Fiberglassing Thread

I have read many helpful threads since starting my 1985 Casita rebuild. This one has to be the best one I have found on how to do fiberglassing. Stick with the basic steps and use what is available and get to fiberglassing. Love it! Who knew it was so easy to repair fiberglass? Thanks Fiberglass Dave!

-Eric Williams
ericwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:27 PM   #334

Trailer: Home Built
I just noticed that 161000 people have looked at this thread. I can't believe it. Keep on keeping on the fiberglass repair projects... use the easily obtainable products...use proper safety precautions and repair your trailer...if you don't like it, grind it off and redo it until you do...if you don't like it, you quit too soon...YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:44 AM   #335

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
Dave - great info - I’ve done several repairs (and re-repairs) getting rid of old bondo from PO on my Uhaul and these are great tips. Honestly - for those that hate the mess - one of the best is the use of the nitrile gloves - they don’t stick to the resin like other gloves and make working with it much easier - I tried using some last night while patching several holes in my upper bin inserts. The difference between these and other gloves is amazing - especially if you get them to fit really well.
One important note I will add - that you actually covered partially - whenever you cut your fiberglass to install something - large or small - cut the piece out very carefully in one neat piece if at all possible - then SAVE that piece of fiberglass and even mark the top, bottom and sides. Then save and store the piece(s) in the bottom of one of your cubby’s. If you - or the next owner - ever wants to repair/replace the piece back to original it is very easy to do so.
I have installed an AC, hatches, and also a PD4045kv - and have ALL the fiberglass pieces stored inside one of the cubbies. If I have to change out something - you never are able to get the same exact size - I can adapt to it using the old fiberglass pieces.
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:54 AM   #336

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
I use a mini grinding wheel on my dremel for small holes - works perfectly and makes the small dish you mentioned.
I love this thread - wish I had had this info when I started repairing my Uhaul many years ago!
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote