your first time out - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Different trip... Lesson, stay out of Dunkin Donuts parking lots.

We always joke about how nice it is having a small trailer so we can go into Dunkin Donuts, or any other place we want. Will always try to leave a little backup space if possible.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
My first trip was a long one- Whidbey (North of Seattle) to Eureka, then Eureka to Fresno after a 3-day agility trial.

1) You have to make campground reservations well in advance! I hadn't camped for years and did not realize this would be true, and everything on the Oregon coast was full. I ended up in an RV park that I picked for two reasons- vacancy, and WiFi. Had to back in at a 90 degree angle in the dark. 1b) (Just remembered it) This was the only place I've ever had to use an adapter on the electric and I didn't have one. Now I have one that I never use.

2) The door kept popping open and swinging around while I was driving, even though it was locked. (The following year I put velcro on the outside to keep it in place.)

3) If you don't have any way to level your trailer, sleep with your head uphill. (No fridge so not a problem there.)

4) Don't wait until the last minute to gas up- I had to pull into a tiny service station with no room and get an attendant to save a space for me so I could pull in- it was too busy, no room to maneuver, and no gas to go anywhere else.

5) The thing I worried about most, backing into my garage, proved to be a non-problem. The trailer fit!

Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
First campsite...

We picked up our new Scamp in Minnesota and got to the middle of Michigan where the truck differential exploded. This was our first campsite; fourteen days, no charge. We took a loaner car home for the duration.
Attached Thumbnails
First campsite.jpg  
Cncrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
First 10 hour trip bringing trailer home. Really needed to find a washroom, every one we came too was closed for winter. Couple of hours went by, thought I'd have to go at side of the road. Found a tourist information and pulled in, all closed up. Really mad at this point till remembered I had been pulling a trailer with a washroom all the time.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
One of our first trips was to our favorite park, D.L. Bliss State Park in Tahoe, California where we had been tent-camping many times prior. We should have had a clue when the website said maximum trailer length allowed is 15 feet (our trailer is 13 feet). In addition the road is narrow and steep. We came to our site and found that it, too, was steeply inclined. We had to back uphill to position the trailer AND level it while it was on a decline. I don't think we had chock blocks at the time and it is a wonder why the trailer did not roll. To this day I wonder how we managed that maneuver as we have not had any camping experiences since then as challenging! Lesson: Carry and use chock-blocks at all times!
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Can't say I have any sort of funny stories towing a camper.
This is our first trailer but no problems.

But I did drive cross country in 18 wheelers decades ago.
Now there I have tales to tell, but won't admit to any of them.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #21
Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Have and use chock blocks even if it's "level" as stated... (now my crank handle has just a bit more clearance). Cooking spray oil is a good lubricant for screw jacks and it stays on plus it don't mess up the environment like petroleum products do. Don't rush that's when you brake or damage stuff. I shared that tip
with a long time R.V owner.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #22
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
First time backing the Lil Snoozy with help - took 45 minutes, 3 jack knifes, lots of swearing, and crunched the air conditioner cover on the back of the trailer into some k-bar rods sticking out of the truck parked behind me.

First time backing my Escape 19 - jack knifed and shattered my truck's drivers side tail light.

Last time backing my Escape - took less than 10 minutes and nothing broken.

Lessons learned - take your time, look for overhead obstacles, when you start to jack knife pull forward, practice, and most importantly ... NEVER GIVE UP!

If I can do it, anyone can!!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #23
Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Scamp 16'
South Carolina
Backing up

Here's a tip from my fairly experienced former boat towing Mr. about backing up that is helping this directionally challenged old girl some as I learn....put your hands at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel.....the direction you turn the wheel is then the direction the trailer will turn.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #24
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Yep, that's a great tip, but remember two more things about backing:
1. That's the direction that the back of the trailer will go
2. Don't hold the wheel there for long or you will jacknife. Get the turn started and then come back to straight ahead on the steering wheel otherwise the turn will just get tighter and tighter.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote