10 watt solar flex mat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I was given a 10 watt flexible solar mat that I was thinking about throwing some wires on and battery connectors and then strapping it right on to the Boler.

Do I need a controller to keep it from over charging...or is that impossible given the low ttage?

I know this will not "recharge" my battery but it should slow the depletion....right?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
A controller is recommended for anything over 15 watts. You should be fine.

Most of the dashboard solar trickle chargers that are 5 or so watts plug straight into your battery via the lighter plug. No controller.

Doesn't hurt to add one. I have one on my 15 watt panel because I had an extra. I am not sure I would actually buy one specifically for it tho.

It is something to factor in if you are considering expansion tho.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 75 Boler
Thanks Gina.

Is at as simple as running the two wires directly to the battery and forgetting about it?
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

It is not mysterious. EZ PZ.

Set and Forget.

I would check and make sure that model has a blocking diode on it tho. The panel will actually discharge the battery at nite if it does not have one.

Most all panels made these days have small ones.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Dan - we acquired a UniSolar flexible mat panel last winter. Went with UniSolar cuz Mrs. D is a bit of a klutz ... did not want to lose a traditional (& expensive) glass panel sooner than later (smile).

But I digress - our 12v. needs are small - just to 2 orig. lights at night. This unit seems to keep our battery charged just fine. We chose a portable setup to maximize exposure & eliminate clutter on the roof of the Scamp. We found an collapsible A-frame table-base thingy into which the panel mounts perfectly with bungies - voila! Light weight, adjustable & affordable (and let's not forget virtually unbreakable ) When breaking camp, just fold up and go - it rides on the bed, braced so it won't slide. We love it! Happy trails, and perhaps we'll see ya down the road in the future - L 'n D

Tags
solar, solar power