12 v fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Tilly
Trailer: 1976 Boler 1300
Manitoba
12 v fridge

Hi folks
I've noticed in reviews that the 12v / 110 fridges (solar compatible) have really come along in terms of running only when needed, keeping things cool, and can draw anywhere from .5 - 3 amps (DC).

Has anyone out there had success with a 12 v fridge?

Going this route for us would likely entail solar backup to keep a primary and auxiliary battery charged....noted...

Thanks in advance
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have an old noisy Norcold that averages about 17 - 18 watt / hour.
I bought it unloved but it is still working.
Mine will run on 12 vdc or 120 vac.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have a Truckfridge. I believe it uses 5 amp hour max. It does a fine job running all day on the battery when we are on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #4

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
We have a 50 l ARB that we bought in 2011. We use it as a freezer or fridge depending on the need both for camping and toting food for vacations and fishing trips. It has run for a week as a freezer off 150watts of solar and a 210 amp battery bank on the Outer banks of NC and off shore power at other locations with out a hiccup. I like it as it works in the SUV , camper and the house if I need extra storage for a party or family gathering. It is very flexible as to use. It uses the series 35 Danfoss compressor. It is hard to give a power use as it depends on ambient temp and whether I use it as a fridge or freezer.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

Name: Tilly
Trailer: 1976 Boler 1300
Manitoba
Thanks everyone - clearly there are a range of uses and levels of draw on the battery. I hope to hear from anyone else and will keep researching as I go!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I installed the large (TF-130) 12V only Truckfridge last year and have generally been very happy with it. I saw no point in buying the 12V/120V model as I have a good converter in the trailer already converting 120V to 12V. The biggest pro to me is the seamless, set and forget operation. At home the trailer is plugged in so a couple of days before a trip I turn the fridge on. Upon leaving I unplug from shore power and it runs off the battery/tow vehicle. In camp it continues to run off the battery/solar/shore power as provided.

The biggest pro is it gets real cold, real quick. It does however draw a little more power than I thought it would. Probably because we run it a little too cold and open the door a lot. You can feel the "cold dump" on your feet when you open the door.

If I had it to do over I might go for the next size down for the trailer. If I needed more space than that I would get one of the nice portable, chest type models to supplement the mounted unit. This portable unit would be nice for taking in the tow when mobile, running it off the tow's power, using it alone for short trips, and not having the cold dump of a vertical unit just to reach in for a cold drink or sandwich fixings.

So I would say carefully and honestly assess your refrigeration needs/wants and purchase accordingly. One of the bigger portable chest type units might work very well and have more utility than a fixed unit in the trailer.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had a 12volt fridge in a previous unit. I also had two 12 volt batteries. The fridge worked great. I had no problems.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Tilly,

We swapped out the 120v dorm fridge in our Snoozy for a 12v Truckfridge two years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, it was a great improvement.

We have a blog post about this exact subject here https://wanderingourway.wordpress.co...refrigeration/
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
12 v fridge

Iv done a lot of research on these. I have a norcold now but I am going to replace it with a engel. The engel draws a lot less. I'm going to in stall one of there frig units in the camper and one of there stand alone ones in the truck to use as a freezer.
Engelcoolers.com

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Hi folks
I've noticed in reviews that the 12v / 110 fridges (solar compatible) have really come along in terms of running only when needed, keeping things cool, and can draw anywhere from .5 - 3 amps (DC).

Has anyone out there had success with a 12 v fridge?

Going this route for us would likely entail solar backup to keep a primary and auxiliary battery charged....noted...

Thanks in advance
We have a 3-way the 12v will keep things cold once the fridge is already cold going from camp site to camp site but the battery drain is huge. Propane and 110 work well though. Was told towing with propane running will not work but have not tried it.

https://wanderingourway.wordpress.co...refrigeration/
talked about by mcdenny sounds like a good compromise.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Was told towing with propane running will not work but have not tried it.
1000's of RV's travel with the fridge running on LP everyday.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #12

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
-- Was told towing with propane running will not work but have not tried it.--
We have tried running the refrigerator on propane while towing. It hasn't worked for us. The flame keeps going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
JackieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge