12 volt re-do/Jumbo LED lights install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Part One

I have just completed re-doing the interior 12 volt system on our 1978 Trillium 1300. The old wiring was a mess. Everything was wired with too light a guage wire. With more than one light on, the volts droped to a dangerous level. I also wanted to switch to LED lights. So, I decided to gut the whole thing. I removed all the lights, switches, wiring and the old converter. I carefully disconnected the Fantastic Vent/Fan - new last Spring. I used 12 guage stranded wire for all leads. I replaced the lighting with LED's from Autolumination. I installed five Jumbo 24 LED fixtures around the cabin and three 28 LED fixtures under the cabinet above the kitchen area. I installed toggle switches for all lights. I left the outside light alone for now, except for running new lead wires to it. I installed a new Iota DLS 1215 Converter/Charger.

During the course of my research and planning, I struggled with coming up with a schematic for doing the re-wire. I read Managing 12 Volts cover to cover; I scoured the FGRV Forum for tips and schematics; I checked books out of the library. Finally, I constructed a plan and drew up a schematic that I could work with. After I gathered most of the parts and tools necessary, I started the project (this took over 5 months!).

The gutting of the old system was fun. (I love demolition!) By the time I had all the lights out and carefully removed wires I had a good sense of how the trailer was wired. I also discovered that some wiring bundles were shared with wires for the exterior lights. That made me nervous.

First I installed the new converter/charger, placing it in about the same spot as the old one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v_re_do___09_046.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	25494

Next, installing the Jumbo LED's was fairly simple. I mounted them flush under the shelving. The tricky part was drilling bolt holes in just the right spots (4 per light). I mounted the lights with hardware I got at Home Depot that was the correct size for the screw holes, just long enough for a nut and washer, so there is not much protruding through the shelf. I taped over all of the bolts/nuts.

Name:	12v_re_do___09_002.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	25495
See "Part Two"
Attached Thumbnails
12v_re_do___09_007.jpg   12v_re_do___09_021.jpg  

12v_re_do___09_003.jpg   12v_re_do___09_005.jpg  

Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #2

Part Two

Once all the lights and switches were in,

Name:	12v_re_do___09_018.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	25500
[attachment=30272:12v_re_do___09_020.jp
g]
it was time to do the wiring. I decided to set up a fuse block in the open area near my new 110 volt breaker box, where the old furnace used to be. This was near where I could fish wire in behind the counter and into the cabinet above, allowing me to go in either direction from there. I bought a fuse block with 8 connections that also had 8 connections for negative wires.

My plan called for five separate runs: One for 3 Jumbo 24 LED's and the outside light; one for 2 Jumbo 24 LED's and the trio of 28 LED's; one for a 12 volt socket; one for the Fantastic Vent/Fan and the voltmeter; and one for the radio/CD player. I have 3 empty circuits for future additions, like solar panels.

The actual wiring seemed to take forever. Fortunately, we had a very mild, dry November here in the Great Lakes area, and I had many days of 50+ degrees and mostly sunny. Some days were almost too nice to be cramped up inside the closet of the Trillium. I was very careful and tried to be meticulous with the wiring and all of the connections (I started this as a complete novice with 12 volt wiring).

Anxious to see if I was wiring correctly, I ran a tempory negative wire from my first light so I could check it. Imagine my total delight at having the light work on the first try! After that, it was one light, one switch,

Name:	12v_re_do___09_023.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	25503
one negative wire at a time until I had all 5 circuits completed.

This was very taxing, tedious work. Hardly any wire connections were easy to do because of working inside of cabinets, the closet or on the long shelf with sliding doors.

Name:	12v_re_do___09_025.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	25504

I'm short enough that I had to stand on a stool or benches for most reaches, but then I had to crouch - backache at the end of each day. I didn't keep track of the hours or days this all took. Hey! It's a hobby, right?

The picture below is of the ceiling where one wire run is under the ensolite. Temporary tape held it until all wiring was done.

See "Part Three"
Attached Thumbnails
12v_re_do___09_019.jpg   12v_re_do___09_020.jpg  

12v_re_do___09_032.jpg   12v_re_do___09_038.jpg  

Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #3

"Part Three"

I checked each circuit when it was done, before going on to the next one. One by one they each worked the first time.

Name:	12v_re_do___09_044.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	25507
[attachment=30278:12v_re_do___09_045.jp
g]
(I did have a loose connection in the "trio" wiring bundle, but soon found it and corrected the problem.) After I finished the wiring and tested all the circuits, I went back and tidied up the wiring, zip tying and taping it along the edges of the shelves as best I could. Here's what it looks like with the new lights ON.

Name:	12v_re_do___09_048.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	25509
[attachment=30280:12v_re_do___09_052
.jpg]

Name:	12v_re_do___09_050.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	25511

Name:	12v_re_do___09_053.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	25512

See "Part Four"
Attached Thumbnails
12v_re_do___09_045.jpg   12v_re_do___09_052.jpg  

Old 12-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #4

Part Four

And the best part - look at the Voltmeter now!

Name:	12v_re_do___09_036.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	25514

Can't wait to road test it (probably not until early February).

Finally, (thanks for your patience) here is the schematic for this project:

Trillium_12V_Schematic_Interior.pdf
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
I'm not sure how your fuse board is made, but it appears that you have the load wires attached to the positive buss instead of at the upper end of the fuse.

Try removing the fuses and see if the lights still come on.

Or ---- perhaps I am seeing it wrong.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I saw the same thing with your fuse bus. It might be a good idea to check and make sure your fuses are wired up correctly by removing a fuse and making sure the lights, pump, furnace, or whatever else is supposed to be connected to that fuse will no longer work.

I am also concerned about how your wiring junctions, where three wires come together, are connected with a screw, nut and crimp connectors. While it looks to be a good way to make an electrical connection, I worry about how those junctions are insulated to prevent short circuits. There's no indication of how you've insulated them.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I worry about how those junctions are insulated to prevent short circuits. There's no indication of how you've insulated them.
Thanks for the scrutiny. I believe both you and Judith found a serious flaw with the fuse bus, which I'll fix when it thaws in a couple days (If there are two ways to do something, one right, one wrong I always do the wrong one first! No such thing as a 50-50 chance for me). I fully coated all connections (after the picture) with liquid electrical tape. May do more of that when the weather warms.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You are going to love those LED fixtures Marv. I replaced almost ALL of my fixtures with the ones you have and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Gina & Marv: Are those LED fixtures a "warm" white color, or blue-ish?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
mine are the warm white

piccies
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Autolumination calls them "warm white". I do not detect any blue-ishness to the light I see. But, I wouldn't call it as warm (yellowish) as from an incandescent light. My pictures of the lights ON show the light pretty true to what I see.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Peter,

I put two of the warm white in our Fiber Stream. The light is bright and warm, just as good as the old incandescent fixtures. The draw is about 1/10 per fixture. We love them.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Hi Marv,
In the photo of the back of a switch, what is the red-orange wire? Looks like it might be your 110v wiring going to an outlet. What kind of wire is that?

-Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Marv,
In the photo of the back of a switch, what is the red-orange wire? Looks like it might be your 110v wiring going to an outlet. What kind of wire is that?

-Fran
The red-orange wire is 110v wiring that was in the trailer when I bought it in 2008. It is a "Romex" type wire (solid copper wire, not stranded). I've since added another circuit with a couple more outlets, using stranded 10ga. wire, but didn't mess with the existing circuit, except to route it to my new breaker box.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Second everyone's comments on the LED's, you'll love em.

Only thing I see from the photos, outside the bus issue, is it appears you used metal staples to tack the wires down to the board. Recommend if you staple to use insulated electrical staples, or better yet use plastic wire ties to bundle your wires and then staple the tail of the wire tie or some such. Another good inexpensive solution is the rubber insulated hold down clamps that you can screw into the board. With the constant movement on the trailer over the years the metal staples can work through the insulation on the wires and could lead to some fun down the road.

Looks like your not too far from a "road test," enjoy......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Second everyone's comments on the LED's, you'll love em.

Only thing I see from the photos, outside the bus issue, is it appears you used metal staples to tack the wires down to the board. Recommend if you staple to use insulated electrical staples, or better yet use plastic wire ties to bundle your wires and then staple the tail of the wire tie or some such. Another good inexpensive solution is the rubber insulated hold down clamps that you can screw into the board. With the constant movement on the trailer over the years the metal staples can work through the insulation on the wires and could lead to some fun down the road.

Looks like your not too far from a "road test," enjoy......
Thanks for the tip about the staples. I'm going to trust them until I get the trailer to warmer climes next month, then look for some rubber insulated hold down clamps to replace the staples.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
More suppliers of LEDs are showing up, here is another that I have orderd 1156 replacement LEDs from.

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/af-nash.htm
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #18

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hello; In my 13 Trillium I replaced my 12v incandesent lights with dual LED's from Princess Auto. (Canada) Position 1 of the built in switch has one side of the lamp on and position 2 lights both sides. They are 5" wide by 12" long and about 1" thick. I placed one over the stove area and second one at the ceiling near the closet and above the bed/dinette. I left the lamps at the end of the cabinet over the sink/stove and the outside light as is and will replace only the bulbs later with led ones. Tip: If the leds don't light up you may have to reverse the 2 wires as LED's are polarity dependent and current will only flow if it's right. I did use 2 wire lamp cord to install these as it makes things much neater. A short piece of shrink tubing on the positive side makes identification easier later on. One wire is smooth, the other is ribbed on lamp cords. I use my lights with a 12v car battery and only charge it Spring and Fall. I do remove my battery during the winter to store it inside where it's warm. I have an 110/12v inverter now and that will be my next installation project. Solar panels after that !
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, lighting