12 volt refrigerator? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Lorelei
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
12 volt refrigerator?

Anyone install a 12 v fridge? How is it working for you? Do you use solar panels?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I don't have a 12V unit but I can tell you that it really sucks up the 12VDC.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Florida
I guess they would, and they don't even have a little freezer. There is about a $600-700 difference in price between a 12v and a 3-way Dometic.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I have the three way which comes with my Scamp. FWICT it uses about 100 W regardless of source. That equates to 8.4 amps. It does not appear to cycle as do the compressor types so that is 8.4 amps continuously. That's a lot of current.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei L View Post
Anyone install a 12 v fridge? How is it working for you? Do you use solar panels?
There are several different types of 12vdc fridges so it will pay to do some research and understand the options,really!

The standard RV units that are only 12vdc seem sort of silly to me,why not be able to use more than just 12vdc if this is the type used?

Then there are 12vdc Peltier Junction units that both heat and cool and though they work fairly well they will not freeze while maintaining warmer than freezing in another spot and they do hog the current.
They are cheap though and handy and I have used one a lot during power outages and would buy another if mine died for sure.

Then there are the more modern and much less utilized so far Danfoss 12vdc compressor units which are very good at the job,sip the power and can be pricey too.

This is the type that I would think you are asking about?

Worth looking into for sure from what I have read.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

Ours is a 120VAC and Propane. We and have it loaded and run the 120VAC for 2 days B-4 departing. We freeze water bottles and put them inside on day of departure and it seams to work out well. Have always had AC Power at camp grounds. Have never used the propane function but would if we boondocked.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

Florida
We like to stay in national parks and forests and with our old camper we have a larger 3way with a decent sized freezer that we used with propane. Now that we are looking for an egg, refrigeration is a concern. I know how fast you can go thru ice! I just don't want to have to spend another $1000 having a new 3way installed.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
There are several different types of 12vdc fridges so it will pay to do some research and understand the options,really!

The standard RV units that are only 12vdc seem sort of silly to me,why not be able to use more than just 12vdc if this is the type used?

Then there are 12vdc Peltier Junction units that both heat and cool and though they work fairly well they will not freeze while maintaining warmer than freezing in another spot and they do hog the current.
They are cheap though and handy and I have used one a lot during power outages and would buy another if mine died for sure.

Then there are the more modern and much less utilized so far Danfoss 12vdc compressor units which are very good at the job,sip the power and can be pricey too.

This is the type that I would think you are asking about?

Worth looking into for sure from what I have read.
Volume vs volume - Ammonia absorption vs Peltier power required. In my observations and uses of both ammonia absorption is a lot less power hungry.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The Danfoss/Secop compressor fridges are mucho expensive. Weight and expense of onboard batteries and genset and/or solar recharging are also not negligible.

jack
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Lorelei said: I know how fast you can go thru ice!

What about a portable ice maker?
Magic Chef MCIM22TW Portable Ice Maker - Walmart.com
Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
About ice. We use a small 3 way fridge for long stays and a Coleman Extreme cooler for road trips. Block ice lasts far longer than bags of cubes. Fishing tackle shops often carry it for the fishermen to preserve their catch. If you have to use cubes find the most solid bag you can find and put it in your cooler whole if possible. Try not to drain the water. You'll get an extra day or more. Raz
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #12

Florida
Re: Byron: I am not familiar with the finer details of refrigeration. I would be grateful if you could tell me about the difference between ammonia and Peltier.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Lorelei said: I know how fast you can go thru ice!

What about a portable ice maker?
Magic Chef MCIM22TW Portable Ice Maker - Walmart.com

I have a portable ice maker.....they are good and do come in handy...but don't count on one to make enough ice to fill your ice chest. I know you will read reviews that say they keep their ice chest filled with one,,,,and you can IF you stay on top of your icemaker & empty the basket every 15 minutes when it fills and if you spend all day on the ice empty job.I have spent time at home making ice & store it in my freezer at home until time to go camping then add to ice chest.Now if you like to have ice in your coke or tea or adult beverage while camping then the portable ice maker is the way to go.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #14

Florida
Darwin, I'm talking about going off the grid for a week or 2. Portable ice makers are strictly party fare. They don't even store and they are ac.