13' Permanent Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
13' Permanent Bed

I have a 13' Scamp and NEVER use the dinette. Looking for mods people have done to make something like a sofa, or a sofa bed with storage underneath. I have the water tank on curb side and converter on street side and use both. Pictures with commentary if you have them please. Have been racking my brain for ideas. My eyes need to see it.

Thanks,

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
I installed a simple plywood on gas cylinders...
We converted the front beds into a dinette for two so we use the front cushions at the back when we use the bed as a couch.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am curious too. I have no intention of not always havning the bed set up in the back of my Scamp 16. We can sit outside or eat off a couple of light TV trays. I would like a nice matteress that fits the shape but am not willing to spend hundreds to get it. A little (3") foam on top of the stock cushions works well, but not perfect. I can camp on it but would not want to long-term or full-time on it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This adds storage and a comfortable couch which is easier to convert than a stock dinette...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 012.jpg   scamp pictures 018.jpg  

Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My solution is very simple. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit and added a siffener to the end. The original plywood storage covers are still easy to access. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1004357313.jpg   image-659448766.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #6

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
HI Alice, I bought an 8" double size memory foam mattress from Walmart and using the cushions as a pattern cut it to fit. I cut a plywood platform to use instead of the table top. Works great and very comfy!!
Not having the table leg receptacle on the bottom of the table top really gives a bit more storage space under the bed too.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #7

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
under bed storage

I put an underbed storage drawer underneath. I also put the plywood in instead of the table (not shown in picture) to level out the bed somewhat. I then cut a memory foam mattress from Amazon to fit.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #8

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
under bed storage

forgot the picture.
Attached Images

KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #9

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
So a queen isn't big enough?

You need a 13' bed?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Utah
Registry
Ha, Ha, Huck...Yea, a 13' bed just incase I want to have a pajama party at my place.....Hoping to incorporate some of the ideas. Deryk with his Parkliner made a vast improvement with a Futon mattress. I love the drawer, just have to figure out how to install the drawer glides properly and build a decent drawer. A quick option is the gas struts to lift the plywood. Then I wouldn't have to build a drawer. The 1/2 plywood is a given because I am shortening the width a little, because I need the little step to get into bed now. If the mattress is any thicker, I'll need a step stool. I like the U shape, but don't want to break it down every morning. Lots to think about. Everyone has made some nice improvements.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We replaced the rear table with plywood. Cut a piece of 5" foam to fit with a 4" memory foam on top so the bed stays made up all the time. Baskets on drawer slides for under bed storage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0086.jpg   IMG_0084.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We had the same kind of problem with our Hunter Compact-II, that doesn't have any seating when the bed is made up.

Here's what we did:

We got an innerspring Futon mattress from IKEA, there are also foam ones that are much easier to cut. A true futon mattress is made to fold and doesn't leave a gap when flat like cushions might

We then cut the dining table in half and made the back 1/2 semi fixed in it's usual lowered place. The front 1/2 became a table for 2 with a new pole base etc.

If we want the bed, it's all flat and ready to go.

If we want a dinette we flip the front 1/2 of the futon mattress onto the back half, put the front half of the original table on it's pedestal, and put down a few pillows for seat cushions. We also made the table top so it will slide on it's base for easy of entry

If we want space to entertain and dance, we flip the back half of the futon straight up, and push the entire futon to the wall, making a full width couch (for friends).

Sort through this link to the second page and you can see it in several configurations.

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

And YES, I had to cut down the innerspring futon, get the foam one for a Scamp because you will have to cut the back half to fit the curved walls.

Almost forgot: We use storage bins, selected for exact fit under the bed, for clothing storage etc.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #13

Utah
Registry
Bob, I am liking your idea and photos, thanks!!!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #14

Utah
Registry
Bernard: How did you measure or calculate the length of gas strut? Is there a particular brand to buy? Are they difficult to install? Is the weight of what they are lift factor in? i believe this is the best solution to storage underneath the bed and easily reaching the fresh water tank and converter. The idea is to use the space in the middle for my outdoor chairs, BAL Leveler, small folding tables.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #15

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Bernard: How did you measure or calculate the length of gas strut? Is there a particular brand to buy? Are they difficult to install? Is the weight of what they are lift factor in? i believe this is the best solution to storage underneath the bed and easily reaching the fresh water tank and converter. The idea is to use the space in the middle for my outdoor chairs, BAL Leveler, small folding tables.
Alright,a few of you are asking me questions via private message but it does not seem to work with my ipad so ill give details here.

I got lucky, i already had the gas struts and they fit well.
I dont know what strenght they are but a quick guess is that they are 50-60lbs each ...i bought them at my local electronic/surplus store. You can get gas struts at rv store, or salvage some from a old minivan backdoor...

The lenght is not super important, as long as they are shorter (when compressed)than the space under you plywood you ar ok...positionning is more important, If you use shorter stroke cylinder, the more you position them toward the hinge, the stronger they need to be, but higher the ply will lift and you position them toward the end of the plywood the less strong they need to be but the plank will go lower.

Normally the struts are bult with a ball end made to attach to a ball. Rv store will sell you mounts with the ball...i did not have the ball mount available the day i was building my setup so i took the ball mount off by unscrewing it...under is a 1/4" bolt. I used two hinges and a few angle metal pices to attach to the fg and ply to create pivot points.

I dont think any specific brand is better than another for an apllication like that, as long as you get the lenght/ strenght you need you are good to go.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #16

Utah
Registry
Well, since I need to have everything finished in less than 3 weeks, I've decided to go with the gas struts to lift the plywood. Instead of getting a Futon mattress that will have to be cut to make the curves in the trailer, I've opted to get this mattress

Spa Sensations 8" Memory Foam Mattress - Walmart.com

It can be cut with an electric knife. I already have the pattern. Brought the plywood home today. Gosh, prices have risen since I last bought plywood. I will have to get some contact paper to cover it with to keep splinters from getting all over the place. For the back cushions I have 4" memory foam and will make covers for two big pillows. If time permits, I am going to block in the space in the middle from the edge of the bed and put my outdoor chairs, tables, BAL leveler, straps and rope. These a now stored in the closet next to the bathroom. That closet will then get shelving (quick and dirty knock down) to store clothes, some canned goods, towels, pots, pans, mixing bowels, coffee pot and other sundry items. This should be much more comfy for a month long trip. I'll try to take pictures of progress.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #17

Quebec
I used the cushions to trace the curves.
One thing i discovered, you need to cut the plywood a good 2" shorter than the actual size at the sides, at the curves and at the back, to clear the curves and the window handles when you lift the bed...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Bob

Do those baskets storage bins BLOCK you heater ??
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #19

Utah
Registry
Bernard: Thanks for the 2" tip. From the picture I cannot tell if you have a strip of plywood attached at the back to put the hinges or if you have the front blocked off from the floor to the top of the bed. Would you happen to have any pictures?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Bob

Do those baskets storage bins BLOCK you heater ??
No, I installed the furnace in the Hunter at the other end of the trailer, near the door.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote