13' Scamp Front Dinette Conversion w/ Toilet Space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #1

Name: Briana
Trailer: Scamp
California
Question 13' Scamp Front Dinette Conversion w/ Toilet Space

Hello all at Fiberglass RV!
I am a new Scamp 1976 13' owner. I absolutely love it but I have been searching and scratching my head for days to approach converting my bunks in the front into a dinette while also creating a space for a small porta potti under the set by the door.

Nothing crazy just planning a huge roadtrip and it is a must to fit it somewhere. This seems to make the most sense. In order to fit even the smallest potti the fiberglass insert would have to be raised a few inches to fit it. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions (and preferably pictures) as to how to make this possible?!?!

It would be greatly appreciated!
Scamper1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper1976 View Post
Hello all at Fiberglass RV!
I am a new Scamp 1976 13' owner. I absolutely love it but I have been searching and scratching my head for days to approach converting my bunks in the front into a dinette while also creating a space for a small porta potti under the set by the door.
Nothing crazy just planning a huge roadtrip and it is a must to fit it somewhere. This seems to make the most sense. In order to fit even the smallest potti the fiberglass insert would have to be raised a few inches to fit it. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions (and preferably pictures) as to how to make this possible?!?!
It would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to FGRV. Someone will be along soon with info and pics for you. There have been a few folks that have done what you're asking about. You may try a search here, some threads should show up with info.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Here's an interesting thread you might want to check out for ideas:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68763.html
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #4

Name: Danny
Texas
Here is our Scamp 13. I put a real Scamp flush toilet with the Scamp holding tank etc. The seat on the street side is a little taller to accommodate the toilet. We considered a Ports Pottie, but after doing it this way we are very glad we chose a Real Toilet!! We can boondock for a week easily with it. It made our Scamp truly Livable. We keep the dinette as a bed full time.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3938.jpg   DSCF3951.jpg  

DSCF3956.jpg  
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Name: sharon
Virginia
danny I love your design! genius!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very Cool!
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am planning the front dinette mod to my 16, and have given up on saving any of the lower bunk fiberglass. I will probably deck straight across the front and therefore the seats will need to be higher anyway. As someone on here noted (I think Donna), the higher seats give you a better view out the front window!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

California
Thanks for the quick comments everyone!

I love the method you used laughingindian! We are planning to be boondocking the majority of the time so installing a full holding tank might be the way to go. We are super low maintenance so we don't need the craziest amenities. How did you insert the tank if you don't mind me asking?
The only issue with this method is that we are hoping to still utilize the fiberglass instert to maintain that whole "original" feel by cutting to fit.

I love the idea of being higher too, so in a best case scenario we could have the fiberglass insert raised up with a toilet tank underneath. I thought I had found some forums with that but cannot for the life of me find them anywhere!

Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #9

California
Scamper Jim's post is amazing by the way LyleB definitely got some amazing ideas from that.!
Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I did this a while back and it's my favorite mod in my Scamp. I've got the porta potty under the right side and the cat's litter box under the left side, with a collapsible table from Camping World.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1128288...eat=directlink
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #11

Name: Danny
Texas
My toilet is the Stock Scamp toilet mounted in the same way, in the same place as if it were a 13 with a front bathroom. The holding tank is the base that the toilet mounts on and the drain stuff is again, just like stock Scamp.
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Scamper Jim is the MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Here's an interesting thread you might want to check out for ideas:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68763.html
For the past few months I have been copying Scamper Jim's front dinette conversion with the front bunk area of my 1078 Scamp 13.

I have finished the conversion, and would post photos...except that Jim's workmanship is so much better than mine!

I believe that I will really enjoy having a front two-place dinette, and the hidden Porta-Potty. I plan on leaving the rear dinette made into a bed full time.

The design does require the removing of the dinning table to use the Porta-Potty, but this can be accomplished in less than 15-seconds ...should a person be in a hurry!

It might be faster to totally remove the front bunk fiberglass, and build two new wood cabinets. However, I like the look of the two remaining fiberglass sections, plus I'm not all that great of a woodworker!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #13

Name: linda
Trailer: vintage camper
Ohio
Karen b
What size is your table from camping world?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
alleycatdiva99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
It's the Personal Table from Camping World. It's light, easily collapsible, and works really well. I think I'm going to try to sew a tablecloth for it this summer that doesn't slide off.

White Personal Table - Lifetime 8354 - Folding Tables - Camping World
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #15

Name: linda
Trailer: vintage camper
Ohio
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
alleycatdiva99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #16

Name: Miriam
California
Registry
[ATTACH]92617[/ATTACH
this is not my trailer but one that I was looking at. They installed a composting toilet in a newly fabricated front dinette. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1455684786.025318.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  74.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Attached Images

Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #17

Name: Kim
California
We did that conversion in our 13. Here is the link to the thread starting from page 3 where we made the first cuts.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t-69830-3.html
KimScamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp