13' Scamp rear window/hatch modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
13' Scamp rear window/hatch modification

I believe it was the "happy camper" link where someone made reference to a rear window modification that someone did to his Scamp that allowed the window to act as a hatch to load a kayak.

I have tried several searches, including advanced but have been frustrated by either getting 1000 pages, or just one (which didn't seem to fit the search).

Can anyone remember seeing the modification? Can someone please post a link?

Thanks!
Gary
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I may have been the one making that reference, but I do not think I could find it again. I do not think it was a completed modification, with pictures and such, just a plan.

Edit: I found the post:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post340965
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #3

Michigan
Thanks! Paul, It is a good read. ...looks like the OP in that thread had some search difficulties too!

Unfotunately Post 439 of the thread put an end to my quest. Too bad, Jared was making some great mods, and I would have loved to see what he would have come up with!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #4

Michigan
I just got a quote for a rear hatch type window from All-Rite to replace my
20X44 rear window. $1195.00!!! It would be cheaper to by a new Kayak every summer than to do this mod... Guess I'll stack them on my TV instead.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It sounds like that price was for a custom made window to your exact dimensions.

Although it might require a bit of trimming of the existing opening, if you shop the used and surplus RV parts places you may be able to locate a back window from a motorhome that was designed as an escape hatch. I'd even put the search on eBay where you will find a number of RV surplus places advertising stuff that you can send a request to for what you want.

And, if you are ever down in the Elkhart, IN area, there a number of dealers down that way with surplus RV parts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp