13' Top Bunk Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
13' Top Bunk Mod

I've finally come up a with a modification worth chopping up our 13' Scamp for -- we often camp and since there are only the two of us, I'll setup the bunk beds in the scamp so we can use the top level as a shelf for setting food boxes, clothes, etc. One thing I've hated about doing this is losing the bench seat below the bunk. The last time we were camping, I decided that if I could cut the top bunk into a 1/3 - 2/3 configuration, and leave the 2/3 part down , and lift the 1/3 part (closest to the kitchen counter), I could use that 1/3 top bunk as a corner storage area.
Yesterday we were cleaning up the camper getting ready for our weekend trip, and I noticed that our top bunk cushion has the hard support material inside the cushion fabric. Does anyone know what material Scamp is using?

I'm also thinking that instead of cutting up the existing cushion, I should just take out the top bunk, store it, and make my modifications on another piece of cushion... either using pillows for the seat back, and use wood / fiberboard cut to fit into the kitchen corner side of the camper.

Has someone already done this... and I just need to find the picture and copy it?
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Well I know my Boler just has a piece of plywood inside of the cushion.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My 1988 Scamp has the upholstery wrapped around a three-piece hinged plywood for the top bunk. Sound very similar to Greg's. You should be able to see if the fabric wraps the plywood all the way around, or is like mine stapled to the bottom... by looking at the bottom.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You might just be able to make a shelf to fit your 1/3 configuration. Imagine an upright that sits agains your kitchen cabinet, your shelf runs across the top and the rear upright sits on the tiny "shelf" that the upper bunk is connected to at the window.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's a picture of a counter extension I added to my Scamp 13 after I removed the couch back.

I use pillows in place of the couch back. I happen to store a food box under the counter extension and as you can see I have a microwave on the counter. When the food box is removed the couch can become a bed with lots of room for a persons feet under the counter extension.

Instead of just a counter extension you could actually built a couple of shelves if you need them.

I have a solar panel against the front of the trailer with the banana cushion resting on top of it, sort of acts like a shelf. Then the pillows are below it.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4159.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #6

I just used boards standing on end with the counter top attached with "L" brackets.

The boards stand upright on the bench with a notched piece of plywood cut to size and laying on the bench holding them in place. The boards against the counter are screwed into the counter, with 2 screws, to snug the counter extension against the counter.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7603.JPG   109_7602.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for the pictures Joy (makes a huge difference with what I can imagine). With the wood support beams for the countertop shelf, you didn't have to screw anything into
camper to put it into place (other than keeping it from wobbling). I like that idea.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Great pictures, Joy!

I am making 2 of these (one for each side of the front couch.)--only taller. Underneath the shelf, I will use as storage for bedding, etc. At night, I will put a board across the top for a "doggie bunk". I'll sleep underneath on the couch, and hubby can have the bed! During the day, the board is removed and the couch will become a front dinette.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

Yes, I like simply things that are functionable and wanted something that would be easy to remove if I ever decide on a different look.

My TV shelves in the rear are attached to the window frames with "L" brackets and one piece of aluminum as a brace from underneath down to the bench. Again easily attached with inconspicuous holes remaining if ever removed.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4189.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #10

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Yes, I like simply things that are functionable and wanted something that would be easy to remove if I ever decide on a different look. My TV shelves in the rear are attached to the window frames with "L" brackets and one piece of aluminum as a brace from underneath down to the bench. Again easily attached with inconspicuous holes remaining if ever removed.
I too want to put my television in a corner. Was thinking of street-side, front-end but seeing yours... it's WONDERFUL? Did you just undo one of the screws holding the window frame in place on each side and attach the L-bracket at the point with the longest side of the bracket extending to the bench? How heavy is the television? Where did you buy the unit the TV and DVD player are sitting on?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Sheryl, I took the upper bunk out of my 13' Scamp and that is where I sleep. My son built a shelf at the end of the counter, to the right of the stove and is hinged and collapses so that it is almost flush with the side of the stove. I have found this sleeping arrangement fine with me and Skippy (dog) and keeps my table always ready for my favorite thing to do, eating. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote