15 amp to 30 or 50 amp----still clueless!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: kitti
Trailer: 1985 13' Scamp
Texas
15 amp to 30 or 50 amp----still clueless!!!

I appreciate all the advice I received before about plugging in our 15 amp Skamp but I'm still not sure what to do????? Do I need a reducer/adapter to plug into a 30 or 50 amp spot? One of the places we like to go have 50 amp campsites and it is a really nice area. They may also have 30 amp available at these same sites with the 50 amp. Can we plug directly into the 30 amp safely? I know we dont need that much powerbut we like that area and that's the amps that are at these sites. Are we okay to plug directly into 30 amp or do we need an adapter/ reducer for safety? Sorry but I'm just not clear on this and if I reserve a spot and it only has 50 amp, what do we do????
kitti in texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The 30 amp is the maximum that you can use. It will not 'deliver' any more power than you need. If you have a 15amp power cord, then it will have a standard three-prong plug and it won't fit into the 30 amp recepticle. You'll need to get an adapter that have the 'male' side match the 30 amp recepticle, and the 'female' side will fit your three-prong plug. It seems that you will do better to just go into an RV center, and have them show you what you need. Its sometimes hard to understand descriptions, and I think you'll feel better having them show you exactly what adapter. Also, have you called the campground and asked them if they have 30 amp at the sites? That way, you'll know you have the right adapter.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
Hi,

You don't need to worry about plugging a 15 amp scamp into a 30 or 50 amp supply. Those numbers refer to maximum capacity. The only danger would be if you plugged a 50 amp draw to a 30 amp power source and then the only thing that would happen is that the circuit breaker on the plug tower would trip. What you have to get is adapters that change your plug types. These are fairly inexpensive and can be found at Walmart or camping world(or any other rv supply) its a good idea to have these in your toolkit anyway.

Also, at every campsite that I have ever been to, the sites that had 50 amp supplies also had 30 amp sockets on the same tower. But ymmv.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
You can buy an adapter to place on the end of you power cord to plug into either the 30 or 50 amp.It does not change the power at all. It's an adapter you plug into the 50 amp box and then you plug you power cord into the adapter.
Your Scamp will use only the amps it needs and is allowed by your 110v breaker.
It's all 110 volts.
Big motor homes and travel trailers require more amps to run more lights and bigger appliances so the campground has different amperage services to supply the different requirements because the power cord plugs are different for each amperage requirement.
You will be perfectly safe.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Name: kitti
Trailer: 1985 13' Scamp
Texas
Okay, I think I understand now. My problem has been my local RV center have told me three different things and one of them made it sound like there would definitely be a fire or meltdown! Also, the campground we are going to dont have anyone at the site to talk to personally for me to ask about the 30/50 amp. So I am going to take your advice, get an adapter just so my plug will fit into the 30 amp and reserve my spot and figure the 50 amp sites will also have 30amp. THANKS SO MUCH FOR CLEARING THIS UP FOR ME!!!!
kitti in texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would be suprised if the 50 amp sites did not have a regular outlet you could plug right into in addition to the 50 & 30 amp plugs. Most campgrounds advertise the Max electric service they can supply at a site, "50 amp service" as in up to 50 amp not only 50 amp. I can only recall one campground in about 20 years that had only 50 & 30 amp plugs at the site, and that one was really more of a seasonal rental park, with a few sites available by the night for travellers.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote