Originally Posted by IdahoScamper
My wife and I bought a 16' 1981 Scamp
last year and I've decided to really work on refurbishing as much of it as I can since it turns out to need a new axle
that I have ordered from Scamp
Yesterday I took the back fiberglass modules out and found what I thought I was going to find... water damage. Especially on the left of the trailer where the oven/stove and refrigerator
were. I'm guessing that neither of these appliances were the originals but it is possible that they were. The oven/stove is pink and the old refrigerator
is a Dometic. Ever since I got it these two appliances haven't fit right due to a sagging floor and screws keep popping out.
Presumably this means I need to take the trailer off of the frame and replace the floor but I haven't seen many in depth articles about doing this. While I'm doing this I am going to have the frame sand blasted and repainted.
I'd like to keep everything original but I think I may have to build a new module for the stove and refrigerator since it seems to have been cut up quite a bit to fit the stove and refrigerator.
There are also some issues with sagging around the door and some poorly done patches to the roof that I'd like to address.
Does anyone have any tips on what to watch out for as I proceed down this long road? I'm particularly concerned about the floor repairs on the raised sections because of the attachment to the shell. I've never done much of this kind of work but I think, with lots of research and some tips from people here who have done this, I can do the work. I'm totally new to fiberglass work and hope I'm not getting myself in too deep.
I might got the same problem like yours. In my case, the previous owner had leak from front window( one screw was missed the inside wooden rail and make a hole. When I lift the interior out, I could see the light
from inside of the shell). That hole after closely 30years damaged the floor at front left corner. When I took fridge
and stove out, I also found out there is one drain hose for the fridge that didn't go thru the hole on the floor as it is supposed to. So that floor corner is rotten badly. Luckily I found out and fixed all the problems. Here is the photo of this area in my Trillium
, the marker line is where I will cut and replace with new plywood after fixing and sealing the front window..