16 ft. Scamp and bike rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
16 ft. Scamp and bike rack

I am having a challenge to figure out how to haul our 3 bikes and the Scamp as we travel across country. Any good ideas?
trampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Trampster:

While I don't have a good idea of where to carry them, I do have an opinion where NOT to carry them and that's from the rear bumper of your trailer. You've probably read in this forum about weighing the back end of the trailer and how that increases sway and instability of the trailer.

I for one carry our kayaks and bicycles (not at the same time) on a Yakima / Thule rack on the top of the tow vehicle. The kayaks don't noticeably affect gas mileage as they're not much higher than the Scamp a/c. The bikes do cut down the mileage a little more when towing.

Good luck.

... Greg
Boulder, CO
Not all who wander are lost.
Greg Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
I had a scamp and had CW retrofit a two inch receiver hitch. With my Kuat rack and two mountain bikes, it was scary at best. That flimsy Scamp bumper is not designed to hold bikes or do much else. I'd def use a roof rack on your tow vehicle. Good luck!
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Dawn
New York
Registry
What is your tow vehicle? If you have an SUV, Thule also makes a rack that attaches to the rear door
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

Name: mary
Trailer: 16 S/D Scamp 2010
California
I also have a 16ft scamp with the rear bike hitch, I bought a swag rack and it was a waste of money; also too much sway! Will put bikes inside of tv next time
marywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: Steve in NY
New York
I think putting them inside, or putting a rack on top of your tow vehicle is about the only really good option. I have a receiver rack with and extension hitch, but the bikes and the tongue weight make it not work to well with the scamp. I have a sailboat that is light and only has about 50 pounds of tongue weight and it works good for that.
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Name: Handley
New York
Bike Rack

I welded up a 2" square adapter that slides over the hitch. Then I welded
a 1' square post about 2" tall on that. The bike rack slides down over that post. I also have a front receiver on my truck, so I can mount the rack out
in front. If you want, when the weather clears I can make a few pictures for you.

I have not done it yet, but I can visualize how to use the front receiver to make a front support for a canoe rack. I had one back when I carried a canoe on top of my VW Rabbit.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have carried up to three lightweight aluminum-frame bicycles on the back of my 13' Scamp without sway issues, BUT…
  • By the time I add up the cost of buying the receiver from Scamp and having a welder install it, buying a bike rack, and adding additional lights (since the bicycles obscure the factory taillights), I will have spent close to $500 on a less-than-optimal arrangement.
  • The bicycles bang around a lot more on the back of the trailer, which I accepted because they were inexpensive, but they're looking pretty dinged up.
  • To maintain tongue weight, I have to pack everything in the front of the trailer- ice chest and water jug on the floor, awning and chairs on the sofa- so it is impossible to use the trailer without unloading stuff, like whan you stop for lunch en route.
  • If we want to take our bicycles somewhere away from camp, I have to remount the bike rack on the tow vehicle and reload the bicycles.

In hindsight, I really have to agree with those who recommend biting the bullet for a good-quality roof system on the tow vehicle. Even better, a truck with a fork-mount system in the bed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
..My...home made bike rack for Tril1300 can be used in ..different styles. With capacity of 4 assorted bicycles( different frame shapes), they can be loaded front or rear of trillium depends on different TVs. With small 4banger TV, 4 bicycles are stored securely inside trailer. With minivan or pu truck, bike rack will be installed in front of trailer, b/t trailer and TV. In case of heavy load inside trailer, bike rack will be installed behind trailer. All cases were tested and utilzed. Share with you some photos....Cheer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG748.jpg   IMG749.jpg  

IMG750.jpg   IMG751.jpg  

IMG752.jpg   IMG753.jpg  

IMG754.jpg   IMG756.jpg  

IMG755.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
I had a scamp and had CW retrofit a two inch receiver hitch. With my Kuat rack and two mountain bikes, it was scary at best. That flimsy Scamp bumper is not designed to hold bikes or do much else. I'd def use a roof rack on your tow vehicle. Good luck!
While on the other hand I had a proper hitch receiver which I purchased from Orbital Machine Works a member here who makes one specifically for Scamps, that bolts on the frame securely and firmly. I also purchased the Kuat Beta rack which is the lightest around and having owned a number of way heavier and far more expensive racks I am thrilled to say due to the Kuat clever design it does very little if any movement on the rear of the trailer when loaded. Unlike some of the more expensive heavier racks I have owned in the past that no matter what I did they wiggled - so would never put them on the back of a trailer. Have actually sold the heavier, more expensive better known racks!! Love the little Kuat rack.

I have no issues towing with bikes on the rear of the trailer BUT I would NOT put TWO heavy mountain bikes back there. Due to the design of my Scamp the tongue is on the light side and not a lot of ways/means to get it higher unless I was to add a second propane tank and add an overhead bin to above the bunk beads. So I load only 1 mountain bike or two light road bikes & then but a cooler or a tote with gear in the trailer ahead of the axle to balance it all out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp