17 ft '79 bigfoot - restoration/modification thread - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
oooppss...

thinking on it.... that leg would not work as described....the leg would be too long to fold under....when I first envisioned this I thought you'd make the table so it lifts out like mine (not swing down like original) in that case it would work....but if you leave it "trapped" by the hoop at the bulkhead end you'll have to work on the geometry....hope this isn't TOO confusing

Old 05-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
That's exactly what I had in mind. I'll do one out of simple plywood and if I'm happy with that, I'll make a nice one out of oak plywood.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #17

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
yeah but.....

I hope you're not like me....

I bought a "new to me" boat once....no table!...I desperately wanted to take it out for a first weekend cruise so on thursday I built a "trial" table.....FIFTEEN YEARS later I sold the boat and that very same table was still there....LOL....kinda got attached to it / maybe I'm just lazy / always had too many other projects on my list...good luck
Attached Thumbnails
zaftviewa.jpg   zaftviewb.jpg  

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #18

Name: Ben
British Columbia
Hi David,
Lost your reply, from fellow Island Bigfoot owner.
Ben
Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #19
dlb

Name: d
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
finally getting started

now that our camping season is over, i'm finally starting this camper project. i've spent4-6 hrs so far removing some of the shelves/cabinets, disconnecting wiring and plumbing, removing the fridge, vacuuming up a mouse nest, etc. it's off to a good start. here are my pics so far.

front left:

front right:

above 'kitchen':

water leaking in under front right side window:

mould on wall from water leak around stove vent:

mould on cabinet where the stove hood attached to it. this is also from the stove vent water leak.

water leak on the left side of the front window:

former mouse nest on the right side of the front, below the window. you can see how they chewed into the insulation and left a crater. f-ing rodents.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #20
dlb

British Columbia
fridge out:

this was frustrating. it's a large phillips-head screw in the floor that was underneath the fridge. i had the fridge disconnected and could get it about 1.5" out but then the bottom was hanging up on this screw. of course, i couldn't see or access the damn thing so i only got it out after a lot of banging and bashing. does anyone know what these large floor screws are for? this is the third one i've found in our camper and i can't see any reason for them. none of them have actually secured anything in place.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #21

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
dlb.......All your pictures are not posting, just a bunch of X's.....
Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
dlb

British Columbia
that's odd, they showed up fine in the preview. am i able to edit my posts? i can't figure out how to do that.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #23

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
While i don't have the same make of trailer.... just thinking out loud but is it possible that is one of the fasteners attaching the body to the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
dlb

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
While i don't have the same make of trailer.... just thinking out loud but is it possible that is one of the fasteners attaching the body to the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
that's probably the most likely answer, but all three screws i've found so far stick well up above the floor -- perfect for tripping on, snagging fridges during removal, etc. if they are attaching the body to the frame, why aren't they snugged up?

ps, it looks like photobuck (the site i use to host my pics) is temporarily down for maintenance. my pics should show up soon, i think.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I've not found any Phillips head screws in my trailer. They're all Robertson head. My guess would be work by a previous owner. Looks like you have tackled a major project. Keep the photos coming.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #26

Name: Mark
Trailer: Coleman and Bigfoot
British Columbia
Finding Robertson in the Bigfoot isn't surprising. The inventor of the screw head was Canadian, robertson screw head are the most popular type up here.

I have had more than one contractor family member gush over robertson and crap all over the horrible philip's head. Strange things us Canadians get proud about.

Anyway, that's your Heritage moment for the day.

Love the tread I just bought a 1983, in similar shape to yours. I'm starting big renos early feb. Good luck
Old 11-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #27

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
If you decide to change out the toilet I would really like to purchase the one you have.. I've got a Trillium 1300 that the previous owner removed the toilet and it was just like the one you have and there's not enough room under the camper to install any other kind in its place but one like you have there and they are no longer made..
Old 11-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #28
dlb

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
If you decide to change out the toilet I would really like to purchase the one you have.. I've got a Trillium 1300 that the previous owner removed the toilet and it was just like the one you have and there's not enough room under the camper to install any other kind in its place but one like you have there and they are no longer made..
randy, is this addressed to me? if so, you can have the toilet for free but shipping it from bc, canada to alabama will cost something ridiculous. i'll happily send it if you're willing to pay for it but just wanted to make sure you're aware of my location.

the toilet works fine, btw.

no progress on this since my last post. i am now busy helping my wife finish fixing up her horse trailer, then have to fix a leak in the front gas tank on our truck, and then i will be focusing on this travel trailer reno job. i'll keep posting as i work on it.

Tags
bigfoot