1875 Boler bathtub floor removal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
1875 Boler bathtub floor removal?

So I'm at a point in the demo that I'm a little stumped. My curb side back corner is a little cracked and "bending" over the frame causing a sag. I want to fix that by reglassing and maybe adding some plywood strips for support. Do I need to pull out the entire bathtub style floor? I'm digging through post after post and I don't see anybody with this exact problem. Every similar thread I see has a plywood floor. But my floor doesn't seem to have any plywood glassed to it.

What's my next move?
Any suggestions?

brownrecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #2

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
It seems like a lot of work to pull that out. Is it strongly bonded? Would it come out in one piece? If not I'd just cut a section out. But it is difficult to say. Can you post pictures of the outside and from underneath?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Nat

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 75 Boler
B.C.
Brownrecluse, it looks like we're both around the same point in our boler renos. Although i dont have the sagging, I have areas that could use some reinforcement, and also my trailer needs some work.

I think it all depends on how much work your planning on doing, or want to do.

If its just the floor that needs repair i wouldn't bother removing the tub from the trailer.

In my opinion,

- I would remove all the bolts/screws holding the tub down.

- Jack up the back side of the tub, and put it on jack stands somewhere behind the tires, using some wood to distribute the weight over the fiberglass.

- Cut your strips of wood, either glue them in place or put in a couple screws to hold them in place and start glassing.

- Only problem you might have is working around the frame rails, and laying on your back while you do all the work.

You might decide to take an extra step and remove the tub from the trailer, in which case you wouldn't have to work around the frame rails and you would also get a chance to inspect the frame of your trailer. This takes some thinking and planning on shimmying the trailer out from underneath the Boler.

Last but not least you have the Robert Johans way, and the way I will be using to reinforce my Boler.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/1974-boler-resto-oops-i-did-it-again-51745.html

When everything is already gutted and windows are out, it just makes sense to do it this way. You get to work in the flat position and it just gives you a nice clean repair with not much hassel.
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Idaho
Cool, thanks. It seems like I'm on the right path. I haven't dropped the water tank yet, so I wasn't exactly sure how the floor was put together. Most other threads about floors talks about the plywood. And I don't have any plywood. Now I understand it more. It seems like most 1975 and newer have the "bathtub" style floor. I'm taking the frame off to add a new axle and beef up it's overall integrity. So while it's off, my plan is to fiberglass in some supports on the underside corner, screw in a big brace to make it bend up and become flat again, then remove the brace once it cures. And hopefully at that point it will lay flat again. And then, when I put the frame back under it will have all the support it needs.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
I have the same style floor and same problem on that corner. I jacked up the rear floor corner and glassed it in place. It's held fine for a couple thousand miles and many nights.

I am planning to take it off the frame eventually and address whatever the problem is while I'm reinforcing and repainting the frame/replacing the axle... I am actually suspecting (hoping) that it isn't a problem, but just a side effect of these trailers not exactly being 'precision engineered'.

Be sure to take lots of pictures! That way, when I do it (or others!) we can see how you've done it!
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jeff, I noted your post heading reads "1875 Boler bathtub floor removal?" Got to tell you that I think that might take the record for the oldest Boler here!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
A small digression, with apologies:

I hereby nominate this thread for first prize in the "2013's Best Original Wiring Photos" contest!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Idaho
Yep, the wiring is atrocious. I'm keeping it all together for now and will sort that mess out down the road. We're going for a total rewire to clean all that crap up.

As far as the year, I might be off a year or 2. I was hoping nobody would notice that since I can't edit.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Now I AM confused- aren't these pics of Boler wiring???

Francesca
LOL your so right! seeing the screw caps made me think of Scamp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler