1970 Boler - notable difference from other years - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Hi there I have a 1970 Boler and have noticed some subtle differences to the newer models even when compared to 1972 ect...I know they started in 1968 and only made a hundred or so before the 1970 year when they reached 500 or so. My VIN is actually 283.

From what I hear mine was one of the first 500 or so made?

Differences I have noticed compared to newer ones in the 70's:

1. my tail lights sit flush (not recessed)

2. floor is wood - not fiberglass (the under side is coveredd in a thin film of fiber galss to protect it.

3. no window above stove

4. Rear bumper is tubular (not square tuing) and there is no mount for the spare tire.

5. no side reflectors/lights

6. odd wiring plug on side for 120 volts.

7. The water tank filler is ust a chrome box with a little chrome door, no hose hook up here.

any other changes after 70 that I am missing?

Here are the pics of my work in progress....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2307057/1
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Hmm That is interesting. There are a few other types I have seen and have not been able to identify what year they are. For instance; near our local hostispal in a back yard is a Boler
without the rectangular Jalouse side windows, but one round one each side about 14"diameter, non opening.
The small on the on the door was pretty typical of most early Bolers.
That is is only one I have seen like that I did not get alook at the tail lights to see if they were like yours or recessed. Any guess as to what year?
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Con

Kurt, After looking at your pictures I would venture to say that rear bumper may not be original but was changed at one point by a previous owner. I don't ever recall seeing that on any Bolers. Being a mechanical draftsman for years I have to pay attention to detail. Take a look underneth and see if the the retangular curved corners of the frame that formed the rear bumper has been cut off.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolerama_2003_Cyprus_Hills__3__01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2259
Here's a couple of shots of early models.I don't have much information about them. I now know that i've got to get year and modification specs and not just pictures. the white trailer has no roof hump and an old ford bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
bolerama_2004_017_01.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 73 Boler
My 73 has no window over the stove. And the water filler is the chrome box deal as well.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
My 72 has no window over the stove and has a plywood floor. I think some of the differences are due to which company made them and if they were a deluxe model or not.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #7

Con, I took a closer look a the frame and there is no cut edges at the end. In fact there is a steel piece that cpas over the edge of the frame. Looks stock and no signs of cutting. I do klnow what you speak of though. On mine the cut outs in the shell do not line up with the end of the frame rails. They are over about 2" on each side. On mine the bumper mounts to the outer side of eash frame rail with two bolts and then extend through the cut outs in the fiber glass. The fiberglass is even rounded to accept the tubular bumper. For these reasons I believe it to be stock...either way the frame would not have been able to come out there.

I recall reading that the Boler's with no roof hump indicate it is a 68 or 69 model. In late 69 or 70 the roof hump was added for more clearance for taller people.

not sure what makes them deluxe models, I guess its the furnace, ect..

PS - I posted some pics of the frame on my website so you have an idea about the bumper.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Con

Kurt, I am not trying to beat the point to death, but from what I can see on your pictures of the plate across the back and the welds someone definately modified that frame and bumper.
They then re-glassed around the new bumper. Definately not stock.
I assume you downloaded the templates for the logo from the therad on this site. I traced those right of ours and drew them up in AutoCAD and then converted them to PDF format so anyone could use them.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Con

BTW Kurt, Are you going to the Rod and Boler meet at Ft. Langley in May? We are moving in another 10 days so by the time we get settled in I won't have time to do a bit of work on the Boler so we won't make it.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #10

Been a while since I updated this thread....

I noticed another small difference with the earlier models. The wheel arch hung down slightly farther (3" or so) than the later ones. I just trimmed mine up a bit to expose more of the wheel.

As for the bumper, I removed it so I could have a spare tire rack and licence plate bracket installed. Turned out nice and I had my father beef it up while he did the work. You were right. It does not appear to be stock. But, I can definitely say this model did not have the wrap around bumper that the later models had. The holes in the shell do not line up with the frame and no evidence that they were moved or fibergalssed over. I am starting to wonder if they even had one.

On a side note, I did not make it to Langley but a friend of mine in Hope did (Scott and Crystal with their 17'). Maybe in September....

Con, yes I used your Boler template for my decal (thanks!). I did modify it though- by adding the line under the name like the original aluminum emblems.

For those of you following my rebuild I updated my website:

Old 05-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #11

Applied the new seam tape today. Worked out very well. I have no doubt that this stuff will be on there for years. Its very sticky stuff.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
Con

You are doing a nice piece of work Kurt. I think you can be proud of your EGG.
BTW I hope you used the logo from the later one as there was a slight error in the first PDF.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #13

thanks! I believe it was the later one. I recall following the thread and see that you posted another image. I bleive it was PDF?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #14

Its about done. A few minor things then I can add the final pics. Here's the update:

Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #15
Con

Very nice Kurt. I just installed the identical swing jack with the wheel on ours today. Also painted it white.

I am really surprised at the prices people are asking for Boler her in the Okanagan.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #16

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Holy Cow! I just checked out all of your photos and your work is amazing. Very inspirational!

Among other things, I love how you made the cover for the kitchen sink/stove. I might copy that idea for scamp 1!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #17

I thought it would be a good idea considering I lost the extra counter space.

I added the last of the pics. Its ready for summer (and done until next year!).

Thanks for the compliments.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #18

Would you all believe after all my hard work I never got out comaping with it this summer.

Thats right zero.

I hope to get out before the end of September, we'll see.....
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in BC View Post
Hi there I have a 1970 Boler and have noticed some subtle differences to the newer models even when compared to 1972 ect...I know they started in 1968 and only made a hundred or so before the 1970 year when they reached 500 or so. My VIN is actually 283.

From what I hear mine was one of the first 500 or so made?

Differences I have noticed compared to newer ones in the 70's:

1. my tail lights sit flush (not recessed)

2. floor is wood - not fiberglass (the under side is coveredd in a thin film of fiber galss to protect it.

3. no window above stove

4. Rear bumper is tubular (not square tuing) and there is no mount for the spare tire.

5. no side reflectors/lights

6. odd wiring plug on side for 120 volts.

7. The water tank filler is ust a chrome box with a little chrome door, no hose hook up here.
Few other differences on these early Boler that I have picked up on since seeing another 1970 and repairing a '74. Mine is from the original Winnipeg plant:

- No black/grey water tank - water drains via a tube out the bottom of the trailer.

- Water tank is under the seat, next to the dinette. Appears to be metal/aluminum.

- No city water connection - only the pump

- Different door design - not subject to the sag these newer ones seem to have had, mine feels solid, not hallow - its not as thick.

- No Boler emblems were used above the front and rear windows.

- The center seam where the 2 halves were joined are not fiberglassed over like the later ones. The aluminum trim piece is also thicker

- One of the biggest differences I have seen is the unboxed (open) frame rails and the floor not being fiberglass....its plywood.

Tags
boler