The cooktop/sink combo is a SMEV/Dometic unit and indeed what the owner has proposed to install. Very cool... Built-in faucet, counter-top flush mounting. The Dometic 3-way refrigerator will be in the same basic position as it was originally. However, I've found some much more attractive vents for external access.
An on-board water tank will be installed within a rear bench. Again, as is typical. But gray water will drain into an outside "blue" portable holding tank.
A Camco Wave 3 catalytic heater will keep things toasty, when necessary. And, yes, a water heater is also under consideration.
A few other details: Shurflo vent/fan; iPod docking port and audio speakers; power converter/charger; awning. Perhaps more...
Let me say that the owners are very keen on making this trailer uniquely theirs... And they plan on using it a lot, and for a long time.
The owners were not too concerned about the width of the bed. But, because all of the furniture/cabinetry will be custom, I was able to widen it by about six inches. My drawings indicate a 54" width, but we'll see what's what when we get into the actual construction.
I had to make a number of patches, and fill a lot of holes in the fiberglass before I can get it to the body shop.
A new ShurFlo fan is going in the ceiling, so the old vent had to yanked and the hole filled. The original heater was tossed, so the exhaust vent also had to be removed and patched. In fact, every original hole was filled, so that I can make new ones where necessary.
Evidently typical with old Bolers, there was a bad crack in the upper right hand corner of the door frame. This had to fixed.
We are replacing the two side windows with new ones ordered from Hehr. These will have radius-corners, like those of contemporary Scamps (and others). So the original rectangular window cutouts had to be modified for the new style with "gussets" added to the corners. The street-side window is oversized—similar to those of the Perris Pacers.
For some time Bolers had plywood floors 'glassed to the shell, and mounted directly to the frame. (Later models feature a full "bathtub" fiberglass bottom.)
Our floor was completely shot and all of it had to be cut out. Here you can see the replacement for the rear mounted to the frame in place. I used 3/4" Oak hardwood plywood for stability. Every raw surface, edge and bolt hole has been coated with resin The underside has an added layer of fiberglass to help protect it from possible damage caused by road debris.
All the new floor panels have been 'glassed along the edges to the shell on both the top and the bottom.
Here's a fun item for those of you that appreciate the details...
The taillight design of this 1971 Boler predates the iconic, deep-recessed look of later Bolers. In those days (as Scamp does still today), the manufacturer simply surface-mounted those ubiquitous "birthday cake"-style taillight housings and lenses.
But I don't like them much. I really like the look (and functionality) of a 7" schoolbus LED taillight. In fact, I have a pair mounted on my own '88 Scamp. But for this Boler project I wanted a more custom set-up, so I found a way to recess the lights into the shell for an almost flush look.
I "re-purposed" a galvanized, heating duct ring found at the hardware store as a trim ring around my LEDs. It took some head-scratching to engineer a mounting system, but I think the results are great.