1971 Boler Custom renovationóLet the fun begin! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #71
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Jason, there was recently a terrific thread by member "D White" who explained the entire process. Check out:

You Can Repair Fiberglass

Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #72
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Jason, there was recently a terrific thread by member "D White" who explained the entire process. Check out:

You Can Repair Fiberglass
Hi .....We've just viewed this thread for the first time , and just need to say that is the most beautiful Boler reno we've ever seen .... it is just so perfect !

Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #73

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
Thanks robert i checked it out. Very nice work you have done.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #74

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Awesome job Robert. I am looking for a Boler Shell to do something very similar. I want to do the front kitchen and seeing yours makes me want to do it even more so i can make the bed in the back larger. How much more does it weight with all the wood as opposed to the fiberglass? Love the wood but want to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #75
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
I've never actually weighed them, but I would guess that the birch euro-ply is actually lighter than a equally sized piece of fiberglass. But my cabinetry does tend to require more framework design than typically found in the "stock" FG components. Frankly, I believe more weight is gained by the oversized wheels and tires. That said, adding 100 lbs doesn't concern me much.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #76

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm using birth plywood in my new front woodwork, replacing very thick and heavy marine plywood. I'm planning on using thin plywood, reinforced in places with 1x1 and 3/4x1 1/2 bitch and poplar stock. I'm hoping to keep it quite light.

What thickness do you use and how do you reinforce it or add structure/support to the plywood, if you do.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #77
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
I use 3/8" euro-ply whenever possible. Other than the cabinet's structural frame, there is no need for "reinforcement" per se. However, if I have a long door panel that I think could twist over time, then I add "stiffeners" ó usually in the form of a very simple torsion box, using the 3/8" material on end.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #78

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Gotcha, you use good strong plywood. I'm trying this experiment with 1/4" plywood reinforced. 1/8" even for shelves. We shall see, I my have to keep adding reinforcement until it weighs more than if I'd just used beefier plywood to begin it.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #79

Name: Colleen
Trailer: 1980 Boler Deluxe
Washington
Registry
Paint type/color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I've been staying busy working out the details for the exterior, including: new paint, new frame (with spare mount), and a variety of components that mount to or through the shell. Windows go in after the new interior wall covering is installed, but you'll get the idea.

This Boler has made a remarkable recovery, given its shape when it arrived in February. (Check the beginning of this thread to see shots of its original condition.)
Hey Robert - have long admired your work - could you let me know type of paint you used and the colors? I'm looking at doing something similar.

Thanks,
Colleen
Old 10-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #80

Name: Rolley3
Trailer: SCAMP
Illinois
Hero

You may be my hero or angel; I need a 1985 scamp worked on , restored, what ever you think it needs. I received it from my son as a special gift for pops, but it needs help badly. Rolley3 Woodstock, IL
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #81

Name: jobelle
Trailer: trying to decide
Alabama
I am new to the world of RV camping and I do have some special needs. I need to have an RV that is handicap accessible. I see you started with an empty shell, can I ask how much did you pay for it? And what is your budget for the retrofit and are you able to do all the work yourself? I found a Winnebago that was completely gutted and the exterior and frame are in good shape, but completely gutted, the want $800 for it. Which is in my budget. I am extremely frugal and I need an open floor plan, so a gutted option sounds good. I could create a sleeping area and an open multi use area, daytime seating, eating, and I have no desire to take showers or clean out potty tanks, so I will always have to set up at an RV place. It will be for me, my service dog and his pet cat. Anything you can help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
boler