1971 "Ocean Boler" Reno - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 71 Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
Well, I pulled a couple of all-nighters and managed to get the Boler campable for the weekend. I didn't take any pictures while doing this work - too busy.

Here I am ready to go and at the campsite yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
ready to go.jpg   at campsite.jpg  

Old 07-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #16

Saskatchewan
Registry
Most of the work I did was on the wiring and getting the galley cabinet in good enough shape for the fridge, power center and associated wiring. I had a list things to get working for the weekend:

1. Weathertight so I didn't get wet.
  2. Running lights, brake wiring and breakaway switch so it was legal to tow.
  3. Dinette/bed so I had somewhere to sleep.
  4. Electrical system.
  5. Fan hooked up to keep cool at night.
  6. Interior lights for the evening.
  7. Fridge to put my food in.
  8. Water system so I could wash up.
  9. Propane system to be able to run the fridge on propane and use the cooktop.
  10. Cabinet doors.
  11. Front Couch.
  12. Trim.
I got to #7, so I had a roof over my head, an artificial breeze, some lights and a cold fridge running on 120v only. The fantastic fan is fantastic. At top speed, it was able to pull a large fly up to the screen and trap it there.

One part of the galley I'm proud of is the backsplash. I wanted something to run the wiring behind and something that fit into the structural pieces I had added to replace the twisted steel bars. After I had it all in, I realized it could also be used with venting the fridge so I could use a roof vent for the exhaust. The fridge still worked surprisingly well with wall venting the exhaust and no supplemental fans.
Attached Thumbnails
galley no doors.jpg   backsplash.jpg  

Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
Registry
Here's another couple of views of the completed exterior once I got it parked at home again.
Attached Thumbnails
parked RF.jpg   parked LR.jpg  

Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Very sharp.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Boler 1977
Washington
Registry
The green color is perfect for a retro look!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #20

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Hi Peter, Great work! What kind of primer and paint did you use? It looks great.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #21

Saskatchewan
Registry
The paint is from Supermarine Paint. They have a wide variety of colours available and claim to be able to match colours. I know others on the forum have had bad luck with the paint matching. You also have to be fairly careful with the paint application. Because it cures with exposure to oxygen, putting it on too thick results in paint that never hardens. I rolled it on, which worked well, but I wasn't careful enough with the primer application and there are some roller marks that showed through. Some people can't see them, but I know they're there...

I got the complete "Revolution" system, which included cleaner, primer, paint and thinner. I also used their "Floor-Grip II" non-skid paint for the floor in the same green.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #22

Ontario
Awesome! Thanks a million!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #23

Ontario
I was wondering how hard it was to prepare the gelcoat for paint? Other than filling holes etc... I was most interested in the preparation/priming process.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #24

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Great work Peter, I agree that the green looks fantastic. When I finished painting my trailer I had a couple of tiny runs that I pointed out to my wife and she said "oh, nobody will notice that". The first trip out I brought it over to a good friends house and he looked it over and thought the paint looked perfect. Then his 16 year old boy came from the house, went straight to the tiny spot and said, "Wow, looks like you messed up a spot!". I just looked at my wife, laughed and said , "so, no one will notice!". But then a 16 year olds job is to point out all the mistakes of his parents, and I'm sure it goes out to everyone else.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #25

Saskatchewan
Registry
Thanks, Dan. I also console myself with the thought that it looks much better than when I started.

Graeme, as it happens, my Boler had been painted previously, so I was mainly preparing old paint. The lower front of the trailer still had the original gelcoat underneath the carpet runner. It required the most work, not because of the gelcoat but because of all the glue removal and stone chip filling. Preparation of the surface prior to painting wasn't too difficult. The cleaner they recommend is an etching type and I scrubbed the shell with it using a scratch pad. The primer is also an etching, high buildup sandable primer and it was easy to apply. My mistake was in not carefully sanding the primer coats before applying the finish coats. If I had to do it over again, I would spend more time sanding the primer before applying the finish.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #26

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

I will use this thread as a guide for my Compact Jr. rebuild.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #27

Saskatchewan
Registry
I've taken the Boler camping a few more times now. I've got all the interior lighting installed, the fresh water plumbing including a pump and curtains. I was pleasantly surprised with the counter lighting. It's a pair of 12" LED strips that do a really good job of lighting up the counter without shadows.
Attached Thumbnails
front curtains.jpg   rear curtains.jpg  

counter lights.jpg   full galley lights.jpg  

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #28

Saskatchewan
Registry
We camped at Waskesiu in August. It was a real test of my window installations - we got 2" of rain the first night and another 2" the next day. The forecast for the weekend included a rainfall warning but we went anyway since we had already paid for the campsite. This picture shows the Boler in Waskesiu with our screened room, which is as long on it's shorter side as the Boler shell is long. It fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
waskesiu rain.jpg  

Tags
boler