1971 Trillium 1300 gets a new haircut - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
1971 Trillium 1300 gets a new haircut

I'm working on repairing my roof sag on the 71 trill. We had soe sag near the roof vent, causing headroom issues inside and significantly increasing leak risk.

I was going to put a support brace inside, running the width of the top arch. But I decided that I did not want to disrupt the ceiling nor lose any headroom.

So I brainstormed another solution: creating a punk rock hairdo on the outside.

Completed so far:

1. Remove vent and and a sand a strip down the centre of the roof

2. Cut a piece of plywood to roughly match the curve of the arch. I held it up against the side of the arch, marked with a sharpie and cut with a jigsaw. I then trimmed and sanded til it fit reasonably well.

3. I took the bottom scrap of plywood and propped it up against the ceiling form the inside, shimming the ceiling up in order to force the arch into its highest position

4. Test fit of the upper portion of plywood.

5. Cut and reshape the upper portion - I made it a bit taller near the vent and shorter at the very front and back. Most of the sagging was near the vent so it needs the most support there.

6. Test fit. I actually put this slightly starboard of centre, in order to make more room for the vent flange. I don't think you'll be able to tell form the ground.

7. Mix up some epoxy resin with fairing compound into a paste and use it to glue the plywood in place. the bricks are just to hold it down til it sets.

Next steps: fibreglass cloth over the plywood, sand, prep, paint!
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg  

03a.jpg   03b.jpg  

04.jpg   05.jpg  

06a.jpg   06b.jpg  

07.jpg  
coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Well done! Creative and effective.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm at a loss as to how this solves the entire roof sag problem. I can see it solving a portion of it, but not the entire problem. Maybe my mindset is swayed by looking at the pictures of the collapsed roof on David Tilston's recent purchase.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post423295

To me, the sag appears to start to happen over the kitchen cabinets. The structure seems to be more intact lengthwise than it is from side to side. The weak area seems to be to the right of the vent hole in your first picture, just about where the sandpaper discs are in your last picture. What am I missing?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Sorry, I don't have a very good "before" pictures. The sag was in two spots, circled below. In all these photos, I had already propped the inside up so you can't see the sag, but you can see where dirty water was pooling when it rained.

On the starboard side, the closet holds the roof up. On the port (kitchen) side, I plan to install new shelves over the countertop whose side supports run all the way to the ceiling, to add a bit more rigidity to the wall and the ceiling. But that extra support above the counter would not have solved the sag I'm attacking here.

Before this fix, I could push up on the vent trim and "pop" the ceiling up a good couple of inches!
Attached Thumbnails
sag.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What I considered for my collapsed roof was to get it back to shape, just as you have. Then grind off the gel coat, and lay a new layer of fibreglass mat on top. then maybe sand and coat with resin. Then sand and paint.

The new layer of glass would probably be enough to hold up the roof. It might take two layers though.

What you have done will work. I would just be kinda worried about the plywood rotting.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Thanks!

The plywood will be fine as long as the fiberglass shell does not get compromised (i.e. smashed, cracks or holes drilled). But even if the wood disappears, the final shaped fiberglass arc will be plenty strong. Actually I think that once it's done, the wood will be nothing more than a form for the shape - all the structure will be in the FG itself. In theory anyways!

Besides, all fiberglass boat decks are wood sandwiched between fiberglass
Old 10-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
removed the inside support today and the arch is standing tall! I'm super excited about this "upgrade" as I can stand up inside now :-)
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
On the port (kitchen) side, I plan to install new shelves over the countertop whose side supports run all the way to the ceiling, to add a bit more rigidity to the wall and the ceiling. But that extra support above the counter would not have solved the sag I'm attacking here.
Now I get it. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the fix.

I'll be looking at mine from your pespective next camping trip.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium