1972 Compact Jr. Restoration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Do you have more pictures of the passenger side kitchen area?

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #22

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade the K View Post
Talia I wouldn't worry too much. In retrospect I wish I had went down to the frame as well. Just not that much trouble to do once it is gutted. Let us know how it turns out.
Yeah, I'll be glad I did it. After I got the box off the frame, I found more damage that needed to be fixed. Nothing catastrophic, but apparently very typical for these trailers. Got the frame dropped off at the trailer repair shop yesterday, and they're going to replace the broken front cross-member, add reinforcement to the A-frame hitch, repair the outriggers on either side of the passenger tire, and add brake flanges for 7" electric brakes which I'll install sometime in the future. About $300 worth of work, but it should add every penny of that in value to the trailer since nobody will ever have to worry about this frame again.

Then when I get it home, it's going to be time to get after it with a wire brush and some good quality paint before I put the box back on it.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #23

Name: Wade
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
Alabama
Registry
Jeremy, here are a couple more of the kitchen unit. The previous owner had already removed all of the curb side cabinets except for some pieces and cut a hole for the AC. I wanted upper cabinets...so I flipped the galley.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-04-05 12 13 47.jpg   2016-04-05 12 14 22.jpg  

Wade the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #24

Name: Mari
Washington
Batteries

Are your batteries under the back lounge and do you have an inverter installed somewhere?
Mcmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #25

USA
Quote:
Jeremy, here are a couple more of the kitchen unit. The previous owner had already removed all of the curb side cabinets except for some pieces and cut a hole for the AC. I wanted upper cabinets...so I flipped the galley.
Question...it appears as if you've removed any support for the roof?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #26

Name: Mari
Washington
We are wondering about roof support as well. I can't find detailed info on this like does the support have to be over the wheel well?
Mcmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #27

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmari View Post
We are wondering about roof support as well. I can't find detailed info on this like does the support have to be over the wheel well?
In my Compact Jr, the original roof supports were 1/2" plywood, just at the rearward edge of the wheel well, and they went from floor to ceiling. The wheel wells did not support them, they were placed directly over the frame piece at the edge of the wheel well.

When I rebuild the interior of mine, I intend to replace the support on both sides. I don't know yet whether that will be a wall or a post, but I'll go floor to ceiling so that there is some interior structure to firm up the fiberglass body and keep the roof from sagging.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #28

Name: Wade
Alabama
Registry
Sorry everyone, I have been away from the forum for awhile and I guess I'm not getting all of the email notifications. To answer some of your questions:
1. I have the battery mounted on the tongue in the area where the propane used to go. I don't use propane.
2. I installed an Mighty Max? 110v/12v converter under the bed. I also installed an inverter to run the fridge when traveling. So far seems to work good. I don't boon dock camp...mostly park camping and tailgating, in which case I use a Honda generator. Under the sofa is also a 10 gallon freshwater tank and a 12v. pump. Still, I am searching for more tongue weight. I should have built the futon bed frame a little heavier, I was trying to save weight like I did with the cabinets in the rear. These trailers are just really easy to get light on the tongue.
3. The cabinets support the roof on the drivers side in the original location.
4. On the curb side at the countertop (I flipped the layout), I have a temp. spring loaded post I install while traveling. I think it was a shower curtain rod? Seems to work fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm glad to pitch in.
W
Wade the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #29

USA
Quote:
4. On the curb side at the countertop (I flipped the layout), I have a temp. spring loaded post I install while traveling. I think it was a shower curtain rod? Seems to work fine.
Brilliant solution!
Old 07-01-2020, 02:54 AM   #30

Name: Joshua
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr.
California
AC Unit

I love your trailer... great inspiration for me to start working on my new project!

I was curious about the AC unit... 1. How is it mounted? 2. How far does it protrude out the back, 3. Do you protect it from the elements, 4. Can I get more photos of it?

Thanks, and, once again, the rig looks fabulous!
Fouxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #31

Name: Velinda
Trailer: Hunter Compact
FL
Do you have any “before” or in the course of the “build” photos? I bought a gutted camper and curious about building it out. Thanks for any advice or photos. Yours looks amazing, great job!
Vee Harley is offline   Reply With Quote