1973 amerigo gut and rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool 1973 amerigo gut and rebuild

Hi, All,
Today a rigging crew lifted our 1973 (brown) amerigo off the frame, with big straps, to take the frame in for checking and fixing if necessary...it was amazing to see how solidly the shell handled itself. Seemed like it'd fold up like a broken eggshell, but in fact it's more like a boiled egg and stronger.
We have a long way to go, but this is a big and important step. Now we'll get the frame fixed up and then the big rig will come back with it and lift the trailer back on. Meanwhile, it's raining here by Seattle. Other than perhaps another wash out or two, we'll wait until the brown amerigo is back on the frame before pulling the windows--lest any tweaking break any new seals.
So for a while, Paul can cool his jets, go play pool, and let the finances have a rest.

Kai in Seattle
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
stove...

the turqoise stove and rangehood are "priceless".....the brown exterior paint looks sharp too....remember chocolate brown appliances and fixtures...LOL.....you certainly found a good candidate for restoration...lots of "potential" there.....a missing table is no big deal, you can probably come up with a design that will work/look better than the original anyway
Attached Thumbnails
adonejbbb.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Registry
Hi, thanks, Francois...

Kai in Seattle
Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Kai,
Hopefully your frame only needs sandblasting and paint to get it back in service. While some of the other brands have had issues with the frame cracking I think the Amerigo has a pretty stout frame under it. I know the front frame rails on my FG16 are 1/4" thick!

Good luck with your renovation, the decision to do it right is tough at first but when it's done and you're out enjoying camping it'll all be worth it!

Thanks again for the stove parts!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

Registry
Hi, Steve, you're very welcome.

Paul said the frame is in very bad shape due to rust; it looked rusted through in a couple of places (maybe the same water damage that took the floor ply) and that we'd been foolish to tow it so far not knowing. He said it looks all-original, no updates. The axle also seems original and has some kind of weird funny tire rims that go on it--probably a new axle is in order, too, after 42 years. AND new rims and tires. The spare tread looks untouched, but it's flat and the same odd design as the others. Paul told me the name of the rims, but I can't remember. Something from the trailer industry 42 years ago.

We're amazed at the strength and engineering/design of this little trailer. Now the shell is sitting out on the driveway, on wood bracing, higher in the back than in the front, surprisingly short and stable. The three men set it carefully in place with the rigging truck, and there it sat like a short, wide brown pumpkin on Halloween.

We're very glad we went ahead and pulled it down all the way. So, more to do--fix frame, new axle, and three new rims and tires.

"Break out another thousand!"
Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might want to check with trailer frame fabricators in your area. It might be a better bet to just get a whole new frame built with a new axle and all, rather than repairing what you have.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You might want to check with trailer frame fabricators in your area. It might be a better bet to just get a whole new frame built with a new axle and all, rather than repairing what you have.
Bob Miller,
Yes, it sure might. Just like the point at which it became clear "patching" only the rotted spots of the floor would be better handled by a total ply replacement.

Q. What about using that black auto window sealant when redoing the windows? Paul said it comes in several forms. If not, what do you use? (not talking about spline, which of course you use...)

K i S
Old 11-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #8

North Carolina
Kai, It sounds like you have the "Dexstar" style wheels which is what I have on my FG16. I decided to leave mine on for the time being but may upgrade them down the road.

By design these have a low profile and low ground clearance also. I plan on changing the spring mounting from the under sprung axle set up to the top side of the axle to gain 3" - 4" of additional clearance. Simple enough to do anyway, something you may consider doing with yours too.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Registry
It could be Dexstar, though on their site showing current models, we didn't find anything like these. A 4-pointed star lug patern, 4 over 6 1/2 or 4 over 9 1/2 is what Paul said, with a big, lobed hole in the middle. The spare has a big plain hole in the middle, will still work, but doesn't match.

He said the axle hub will only take this kind of rim, and we think that the reason everythihng seemed to shake itself to pieces on the way home is that, probalby, the axle has had it.

Wow, this trailer is the gift that keeps on giving...or taking, really.

"Oh, well, break out another thousand."

"What happens to the hole (bank account) when the cheese (money) is gone?"

KiS
Old 11-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #10

North Carolina
I just looked at a pic of your camper and those are Dexstar wheels, there was another version like the spare wheel you have also. Here's an ebay auction for new rims:

Dexstar 14"x5 5 Vintage camper Tire Rim Wheel Trailer 4 Lug Bolt USA Made Star | eBay
Old 11-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #11

Registry
SteveV

Dexstar rims--

HEY, YES, those are the ones!

Thank you...we're bookmarking the page so we can look it up if we need to. Only if we keep the axle, though.

You were right all along.

KiS
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #12

Registry
November 12, 2015 update:

With the advice to find some old fiberglass panels (like boat cut-outs) we went on Craigslist and found a free "all in one" old RV bathroom, and salvaged some lovely panels, enough to fill all the big holes and more.

We also have a little yellow sink from it, that I want to use, but Paul doesn't like it. Means we won't be using it.

We also found a lot of scraps of "cutting board" plastic, some 3/4", some thinner, for free at Paul's old job, and will use the thin ones to make new cabinet doors, and the thicker ones for some renovation in the little front "potty room." A more contained-looking "installation," as it were.

Question: we found a big section, window-sized, in the front wall of the trailer, where it is filled with a panel of plywood. Gel-coated on the outside, bare on the inside. What on earth is that doing there? Did someone once put a window in and then someone took it out and filled the hole with plywood? Or were the amerigos made that way?

No fiberglassing going on yet--but as we gather more supplies and read more advice here, and watch more YouTube videos Paul is getting more confident. I hope he gets the big holes patched before the mice move in for the winter.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #13

Registry
December 12, 2015 update

Trailer frame is finished at welding, Paul spent two days working with the "RW" and they got an inspector to go over it as well...all were very satisfied. Now frame is at paint shop where they'll blast, clean, prime, and industrial paint it.

Then in the new year it'll come back to our driveway on the big lifting rig, and the shell will be put back on it.

Paul bought a 10 x 17 "portable garage" to set up over it (on days with less than 20 mph winds) to let him redo the windows, and then the floor and door--he said the belly band is stained but sound, solid, so maybe we caught a break on that.

We found the vinyl washers I want to use at "Tacoma Screw" for less than $20/100--depending on size, maybe $2/100. We need to go to Kent (about 20 miles away) and have a look. Kinda hate driving that far for a $2 item, but don't want to order them online and find they're too small or thin. So one of these days...

We found a "double hinged hasp" that should work great to hold the rock shield down; a nice find for $8! Just need to find the right carabiner or doggy leash clip so it doesn't rattle.

Fiberglassing--Paul did his first exterior fairing one fine afternoon, and said it looks like it's going to go well. Once he has the "portable garage" set up, he can get on with the fiberglassing regardless of rainfall, as long as it's at all warm enough.

Heading into the year's end with hope, facing the new year with more hope, and grateful for all the advice and encouragement.

Best to you all! Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and all that good stuff.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #14

North Carolina
Getting the frame back under it will be a milestone, you'll likely see some light at the end of the tunnel at that point!

I've had some surprises after tearing into my FG16 recently also. There's more floor rot than I initially thought........why is it always that way?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Getting the frame back under it will be a milestone, you'll likely see some light at the end of the tunnel at that point!

I've had some surprises after tearing into my FG16 recently also. There's more floor rot than I initially thought........why is it always that way?
Oh, lord. Why, indeed? Sorry to hear it; one always keeps hoping, and then those surprises are just not that welcome! That was sure how ours went--first just the toilet hole area, then further, then under the closet walls, then across the front, then under the front gaucho...OK, maybe the upper floor is still good--then under the fridge area, then by the back window, one surprise after another.

You have our full understanding!

Trying to cultivate the ability to rejoice if we can reuse so much as a washer!

Tags
amerigo