1973 Boler 1300 updating - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
1973 Boler 1300 updating

I thought I'd start documenting the process of updating the new addition to our family - "Lita". She's got good bones and was too good to pass up. There's a lot to do since she's in her mid 40s and has been sitting in a shed for the past 8 years and before that was used primarily as a hunting cabin for quite a while I think. But I love a challenge. I've started on the inside and what didn't seem like a big deal has certainly been a lot of work. What's taken the most time so far has been removing the peeling paint and cleaning the mildew underneath. Not pretty, but that's done and now while I'm waiting for some warmer (and drier) weather to start repainting and doing exterior work I've decided to spend my time redoing the cabinets, plumbing and lighting and ripping out and replacing the old wiring. You know, fun stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
P_20181028_105830_vHDR_Auto.jpg   P_20181028_114116_vHDR_Auto.jpg  

P_20181028_114145_vHDR_Auto.jpg   fullsizeoutput_de8.jpeg  

P_20181215_111045_PN.jpg  
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #2

British Columbia
Registry
Upper cabinet

The upper cabinet came off easily. Mostly because quite a few of the rivets were already loose or missing. Luckily there were some machine screws in the mix still holding it up so it hadn't let go. Unfortunately there's going to be a lot of silicone to deal with but I'll deal with that when I reinstall the cabinets. With the cabinet off and the doors removed I got started with filling the multitude of holes. I used bondo glass for the holes and it worked pretty good. I haven't done any glass work for quite a few years but it's like riding a bike.

With the holes filled and sanded down next I got to work on the false bottom which houses the recessed under cabinet LED lights and all the wiring. I did a little bit of reinforcement, glued in some pieces for the false bottom and cut the holes for the lights and the switch. With everything ready to install I primed with bullseye 123 and topcoated with Behr Premium Ultra. Should hold up. I guess we'll see. The cabinet now has 2 LED under counter recessed 12 volt lights, a short 110 volt LED fixture and either end has a 12 volt reading light. I've gone with soldered connections and marine heatshrink. My previous life as a marine mechanic showing through here It's all tested and ready to reinstall when the time comes.

I got a good deal on some maple boards so those are going to be for the cabinet doors. I have them glued up and I'm waiting for my pal Gord to have some free time so we can do some CNC work on them. Nothing fancy but nice and some cool knobs too. Next on the list is getting the lower cabinet and front and rear benches spruced up.
Attached Thumbnails
P_20181223_174959_vHDR_Auto.jpg   fullsizeoutput_dec.jpeg  

fullsizeoutput_deb.jpg   P_20190112_195118.jpg  

Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Really liking the false bottom,, that idea will likely be stolen!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Fred. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Anyone who wants to can steal away!! Although no warranty is expressed or implied.. Try at your own risk.. You know the usual disclaimers
Old 01-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
FGRV is not for everyone. Please consult with your significant partner before purchasing FGRV. Long term use of FGRV can result in the following side effects:

Time loss
Empty Wallet
Sudden urges to renovate
Sudden urges to modify
Feelings of satisfaction
Restlessness
Sudden Euphoria
Sudden Relaxation

If you no longer have these side effects, consult with your significant partner and purchase additional FGRV immediately as serious funk can occur!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Used to have a sailboat and that pretty much had the same side effects Alex. Go figger! Maybe subconciously I'm just exchanging the water for wheels. Bet a psychiatrist would have a field day with that!!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Sunny day work

Had a break from the rain today so I thought I'd get outside and pull off the front propane/battery holder and the rear spare tire mount. Thought this might be a quick and easy job on a sunny day....Somebody must have had unfettered access to a steelyard because both were fabricated out of 1/4 steel plate. How's that for adding weight to the poor little boler frame? I started out by using my angle grinder with a zip disk to try and remove the rear spare tire mount but quickly realized I needed "MORE POWER" so hooked up my plasma cutter and got to work.

The plasma cutter did a pretty quick job on the rear mount. I wasn't too particular about getting it all off because the rear bumper is going to have to be replaced anyway. Rusted through in a number of spots. The front holder went a little bit faster because I already had the plasma cutter set up and pretty easy access to the lower mounts.

Doing a rough calculation I think I pulled off about 125 pounds of steel off the frame. The replacements will definitely be lighter and I'll start working on them once I get all the interior cabinets and benches out of my welding bay.

Clouds are rolling in and the forecast is for rain and wind tomorrow so back inside to finish some painting tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
P_20190121_122013.jpg   P_20190121_122427.jpg  

P_20190121_125527.jpg   P_20190121_131955.jpg  

P_20190121_132146.jpg   P_20190121_134011.jpg  

Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #8

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
Can you post a picture of the lights installed on the inside? Want to see how low profile the LEDs are. I am at the same stage with my camper.

And also a link to the lights and switch?
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Sure thing Chris. As soon as I get them up I'll be posting. Still working on the interior and it's been a little too cold to finish the paint but when they go in I'll definitely post pics.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those should be the links for the lights and switches. Lights are currently out of stock I think but I just did a search for "12v LED recessed lights" and there were lots of options.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Just reread the post Chris. Did you want a pic of the internal wiring and lights from the inside of the cabinet? Because that I have. Only on my first coffee here.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Here's the interior shot. Not quite finished the wiring so it's a bit of a rat's nest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190122_082416.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	127492
Old 01-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
Perfect. Thanks
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Progress on Lita is being made although not as much as I'd like (of course). But still it is progress. The upper and lower cabinets are now patched, prepped and painted. I can't wait to get the interior painted and get everything back in place. Then I'll have my fly tying space back

Name:	boler_cabinets.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	127770

I got a good deal on some Maple S2S boards so with the help of my good friend Gord (who has all the woodworking tools) got new cabinet doors made and as a bonus we fired up his CNC machine and did a little faux shaker styling on the upper cabinet doors. They turned out nice. I have a little different CNC plan for the lower doors and closet door and will post those pics when that gets done. Not sure when that will be.

Name:	boler_door.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	127771

With the cabinets and benches pulled out I replaced the thru-hulls for the city water and sink drain. They sure look fresher than the old ones.

Name:	boler_outlets.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	127772

Installing some plywood backing for the new electrical boxes came next.

Name:	boler_fiberglass.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	127773Click image for larger version

Name:	boler_fiberglass2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	127774

Name:	boler_fiberglass3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	127775

I initially mounted the plywood with construction adhesive and once that had set fiberglassed the plywood in and painted it. The new breaker box and GFCI mounted nicely and wiring up the new lines for the 110 plug boxes went pretty quick once I had diagrammed what I needed to do.

Name:	boler_electrical.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	127776Click image for larger version

Name:	boler_electrical2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	127777

With the 110 wiring back and roughed in place I started patching the myriad of screw holes in the floor, and did some priming and painting before the temperatures dropped. Now I'm waiting for some warm weather to finish things inside.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
It may not seem to me that much is getting done with Lita but when I look back and get back to documenting what I've been doing it is something . The snow and cold weather (for Vancouver Island) has put me back a bit but I was able to get some interior stuff dealt with. I was able to spend some more time with my friend Gord and his CNC machine so we finished off some funky artwork for the front of the lower cabinet door and the new closet door. Since Lita (for now) will be staying close to home we did up a Vancouver Island outline for the lower cabinet door and a kooky little camping scene for the closet door.

Name:	closetdoor.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	128127 Click image for larger version

Name:	VIdoor.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	128128

I also got my act together and finally finished the upper cabinet. Doors finished and hinges and latches installed. I was a little leary of screwing up the latches. They mount through the face of the door and push in flush to latch the doors.

As I was installing the hinge hardware thought I had measured it all correctly but after drilling for the hinges realized that the openings were not all the same size and the holes for the left side door were not in the right spot. But it's fiberglass which is magic so I ground down around the holes, patched them up with bondo glass and and a final coat of bondo and we were good to drill again. Got it right this time.

Everything installed nicely and I really like the looks of the whole cabinet. Can't wait to get it installed but that will wait until the interior is painted.

Name:	Uppercabinet complete.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	128129

It has warmed up now so I've managed to get out and caulk the ensolite seams with Dynaflex 230 and have now started priming with Bullseye 123. That should be done by the weekend.

Name:	primerfront.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	128130

And that will be it for the next month or so. Australia and New Zealand are on the schedule so It will be April before I move on to the next steps. That's okay I could use a little break.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
A lot of work in progress

We definitely want to get Lita on the road for some good camp time this year. After 5 weeks away it was definitely time to set some priorities.

1. Interior comfortable and useable
2. Running lights, frame and axle
3. Obvious leaks dealt with

Before we left on holidays the interior had been primed and was ready for paint and the cabinets and benches were ready to go back in. So first on the list was to finish the interior and get it to the point of being useable. I wasn't worried about getting it all done but if it's comfy and dry, we're golden!!

So I started with the interior paint. With a couple of coats of Swiss Coffee she was looking sweet and things quickly started to come together.

Name:	paintedinterior.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	129003

With the interior paint done I got the upper cabinet put back in place with the help of my buddy Norm. When I took them down I encountered a mix of loose rivets, and various sized machine screws holding them up so decided to reinstall them with #10 x 3/4 inch stainless screws, fender washers on the exterior and nylock nuts inside. For a little extra I used some 3m 520 marine adhesive to bed them in. I'm not sure when I'm going to get the exterior done so I figured that should keep things water tight for the cabinets. I'm not really not trying to make Lita a showpiece. Comfy, structurally sound and able to last another 43 years. That's what I'm looking for

Name:	uppercabinet.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	128997

I then moved on to wiring the running lights. With the interior pretty much empty it was a quick job to install the junction box, and run the wires for the new LED taillights and marker lights from Princess Auto. I dithered about connectors for a bit and then decided I'd go with heat shrink crimp on connectors. I think they should work fine. I also ran all my wiring runs through wire loom and will secure them. I used to rig boats and really really hate messy wiring. Testing the wiring confirmed all was working and I must say I really like the brightness of those LED lights.

Name:	runninglights.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	128999

Name:	junctionbox1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	129000

Name:	junctionbox2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	129001

Name:	runninglights1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	129002

Time to move on to the lower cabinet. When I decided that I was going to need a new sink and stovetop I realized I would need to do something different for the countertop. I had a piece of 3/4 inch plywood that was the right size and managed to find a cheap laminate remnant at the local building supply store that I liked so fabricated a new top. I faced the countertop with some of the same maple that I used for the cabinet doors and it pulled it all together nicely. For a replacement to the rusty avocado green sink I picked up a Fyndig sink from Ikea. It was a little bigger than a bar sink, which is just what I was looking for. I added a faucet which I will plumb into a removable or exterior water tank (not quite decided). I wanted a little more storage room so am forgoing the onboard tank. And since I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a stovetop I currently have left that counter space intact. I did the same #10 x 3/4 inch machine screws with fender washers and nylock nuts to secure it.

Name:	cabinets.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	128996

Name:	countertop.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	129004

The benches had been ready to go for a while so I popped them in and it's now starting to look liveable. At this point I'm done for now with the interior.

It's definitely not complete but it's time to move on to getting the frame pulled out and checked and getting a new axle installed. 16 rusted sheet metal screws are what has been holding the shell to the frame. I decided I would pull those screws today. Of the 16 only 2 came out in one piece. The rest twisted off with very little effort. Sure hope that's not a sign of things to come....

Name:	screws.jpg
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	129005
Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #16

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
This is so interesting to read. Thanks for documenting your work on Lita!
RuthWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Ruth! I'm enjoying documenting the journey immensely. I lose sight of the progress while I'm in the middle of it. It's a fun project to be sure!!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
The scariest job so far

So far through the renovation process the only thing that has really given me any concern has been the frame. I knew it seemed to be okay and I knew that the axle was definitely going to need replacing but I also knew that I really wanted to pull the frame out, see things in the cold light of day and deal with whatever needed dealing with. I've read lots of posts here and various blogs and seen some Youtube videos on frame removal so I sort of knew how I was going to attack this part of the project but I also knew that until I got started I wasn't sure how things were going to go.

I knew - scratch that - was pretty sure that I had all the screws removed that held the shell to the frame so started by lifting the rear of the trailer to get the wheels off the ground and doing the same on the front. So far so good. It turns out that I needed a lot more blocks for the jack stands than I had initially thought but thank goodness my pal Norm came along with a bunch more blocks and Fred had some kicking around the shop.

Name:	frameremoval1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	129039

Norm also brought in his motorcycle jack and that turned out to be an awesome addition. We used an auto floor jack on the front floor and took the weight off the front jack stands. Next, with a couple of 12 x 12's on the motorcycle jack and a chunk of plywood and a little extra jacking of the rear floor of the shell, we pulled the rear jack stands. A couple of judicious thumps on the rear of the frame and the the frame released.

Name:	frameremoval2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	129040

Name:	frameremoval3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	129041

Once the frame was released we ran some 4x4s across the shell and reset the jack stands on the front and rear so that once we pulled trailer wheels off the frame just rolled right out. Wow! Turns out it was a lot less stressful than I thought it would be.

Name:	frameremoval4.jpg
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	129042

And once the frame was out and we made sure the shell was stable.

Name:	frameremoval5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	129043

Name:	frameremoval6.jpg
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	129044

A quick inspection of the frame showed us that it was in pretty darn good shape. I'll know for sure once I get the wire wheel out but I think it's going to be fine for the immediate future. I'll definitely add some structural strengthening.

Name:	frameremoval7.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	129045

That axle though.... Some weird kind of modification went on there. I think to provide more clearance because the torsion suspension was shot. I'm pretty sure it would have been easier to just replace the axle but that will be done now.

Name:	frameremoval8.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	129046

I'm now all measured up for the new flexiride axle and assuming everything stays on schedule should see it in about a week.

So what can I say about this part of Lita's restoration?

1. Removing the frame was a lot less scary than I thought it would be.
2. Make sure you've got more blocking than you think you'll need and some
extra jack stands are good too.
3. Take it slow and breathe
4. It helps to have some assistance when you're doing this
Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Frame job part1

With the new axle on order it was time to get working on the frame. The first step was to reinforce the rear of the frame before cutting off the rotten bumper. Welderboy (my son Matt) tacked in a piece of 1 inch angle iron to keep things from moving and then made quick work of cutting the bumper off.

Name:	framebrace.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	129659

Once the bumper was removed I got serious with the grinder/wire wheel combo, cleaned up the frame and then went over the frame to see what needed work with Matt and his friend Josh (another welder) and the final decision was that the frame was still in really good shape but could definitely benefit from a bit of strengthening here and there. No need for a new build at this point. The trailer had been reasonably well taken care of and shed stored over the winters so we were in good shape.

And the axle arrived!! So time was definitely a wasting!

Name:	frameaxle.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	129658

There was a slight sag on the drivers side rear rail but a bit of judicious smacking with a 20 pound sledge brought things back into line.

Name:	framestraighten.jpg
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	129666

The old axle risers/mounts next needed to come off before the new mounts and fishplates to strengthen the rails were installed. I carefully used my angle grinder with a zip disk to get the old mounts off without damaging the rails. While I was going crazy with the grinder I also removed the old 1 7/8 coupler in preparation for the new tongue. The old coupler assembly was definitely twisted so I was very happy to be putting on a new tongue with a bit of extended length and a 2 inch coupler.

Name:	frameriser1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	129664

Name:	framecoupler.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	129660

The tongue extension was fabricated out of 2x3 inch 1/8 rectangular tubing. I pulled out a new metal cutting blade for my chop saw and quickly had the pieces ready to install.

Name:	frametongue1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	129667

It was great to have Matt (who is a seriously good welder - that's not just a proud dad speaking) fabricate the the tongue and get it all welded in place. I know it's definitely not the weak point of the frame

Name:	frametongue2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	129668

Name:	frametongue3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	129669

Once Matt had the tongue taken care of I cut some 1 1/2 x 3 inch tubing for the new axle mounts and fabricated some fish plates to add strength from the axle back to the rear which then got welded in along with an extra 1 1/2 angle crossmember just back of the axle to keep things square. We measured and then measured again (plus a couple of confirmation measurements of course ) to insure the axle was square to the tongue and drilled the mounting holes.

Name:	frameriserfishplate.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	129665
Old 05-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Frame job part2

The final bit of fabrication was to make some 2 inch tabs and weld them to the frame to use for mounting the shell to the frame. I'll use 5/16 bolts though the tabs instead of the old screws into the frame itself. Should be a little more secure.

Name:	frametabs.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	129670

With the welding all taken care of I did a quick bit of extra rust removal and then prepped the frame for painting with POR 15. This part went pretty quick and in no time the frame was painted and ready for the final bits.

Name:	frameprep.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	129671

Name:	framepaint.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	129672

Axle and hubs were installed and the wheels were reinstalled then the new coupler was installed and we were ready for the first tow. It towed very nicely back to the shop so I think we're good to go to put it back under Lita and carry on. Should have that done before the weekend I think. It's now really all coming together!!!

Name:	framefinished.jpg
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	129673

Tags
boler