1973 Compact II by Hunter - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #61

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000914.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	9768

this is the old floor I removed.
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #62

Here are more pictures. The first picture shows the the new floating pergo wood floor. The other pictures show the framing system I used. I used aluminum for all support framing and bolted it to the body mounting locations using stainless steel bolts and stainless nyloc nuts. Note also that the roof support beam along each side of the top opening are tapered at the ends to follow the slope in the front roof. Also the single support from the floor to roof on each side which replaces the cabinetry previously running from the door along each side to a mid point on the roof. The new location cantalivered the top rail to allow for the new bed size, yet supports the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000933.JPG   IM000934.JPG  

IM000935.JPG   IM000936.JPG  

IM000937.JPG   IM000938.JPG  

IM000939.JPG   IM000943.JPG  

Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #63

More pictures.

Name:	IM000944.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	9786
[attachment=12175:atta
chment]
Attached Thumbnails
IM000945.JPG   IM000940.JPG  

Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #64

This is the window air conditioner I installed by removing the center section of the front window. This is a temporary installation while I was working on the inside of the trailer in the hot desert weather. I will still use this location for my removable A/C but plan to upgrade the installation to make it easier to install and remove.

Name:	IM000942.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	9789
Attached Thumbnails
IM000941.JPG  
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #65

here is the inside showing the seating and new bed arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000948.JPG   IM000949.JPG  

IM000950.JPG   IM000951.JPG  

Old 08-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #66

A few more
Attached Thumbnails
IM000952.JPG   IM000953.JPG  

IM000954.JPG  
Old 10-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #67

Here are a couple of pictures I took on my first roadtrip after getting back together and roadworthy.

Name:	img047.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	10373
Attached Thumbnails
img048.jpg   img049.jpg  

img050.jpg  
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #68

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Purty classy Darrell.

This is will surely become "one-of-the-best" if not "Theee Best" Compact II out there.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #69

Thank you Loren.
I am trying to make it as user friendly as I can but still be durable enough for my off road plans.

I just finished a new curtain system that is a lot cleaner than the original. I didn't want to put holes in the fiberglass so I used four aluminum saw guide units and mounted them to the window frames using the window mounting screws. I then used wire and turnbuckle to hold the curtains tight against the aluminum. Instead of screwing the wire to the mounts I crimped a electrical connector to each end of the wire and then bent the connector so the it would clamp onto the edge of the aluminum mount and tighten up with the small turnbuckle. It is easily removed by loosening the turnbuckleand and sliding off the frame. I will have pictures soon.

I am now working on my 12 volt and 110 volt electrical and lighting. I gave the lighting a lot of thought and finally settled on keeping a modular theme by useing a track light system. I will use a dual electric track that will allow me to have both 12 and 110 volt fixtures in the track. I am also using electrical outlets on the track so other 12 or 110 volt fixtures or appliances can be plugged into the lighting track. I should be able to post some pictures this weekend.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all your great ideas and encouragement.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #70

Here are the pictures of the track lighting. I took some of the curtain mounts but my flash didn't take so they are dark. I will retake them and post them later. As you see the track lighting is mounted over the front curtain area. The lights I bought didn't have a off switch so I put one on them to be able to control the lights when in bed.

Name:	Picture_007.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	10456

These show the lights over the galley area and the closet area. Note the track extends over the seating/bed area so that area will be lighted.

Name:	Picture_009.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	10457

Name:	Picture_010.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	10459

This picture shows the full width curtain mount on one of the side windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture_003.jpg  
Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #71

Here is the closet side lights.

Name:	Picture_008.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	10460

Name:	Picture_011.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	10461
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #72

Well I am back after an extended overseas adventure, officially retired and ready to get the "Bed Roll" trailer finished.

My next plan is to upgrade the pop up with new panoramic screening and upgraded hardware. When I removed the factory furniture to make the king size bed, It left unfinished walls. I have covered some of the walls with material from the closet area and used fiberglass panels on the closet walls. I will be removing the sewn popup lining to complete the walls with matching material.

My plan now is to install marine grade screen material to the popup. Also the old spring loaded jeep style hold down hardware does not keep the top held down during travel. I will install adjustable solid clamps to make the top more stable during travel. I am planning to use a weather seal on the edge of the top so keep road dust out. While I am at it I plan to replace all the old rusty machine screws with stainless. I am also hoping to replace the old lift mechanism springs with a gas strut lift system to make it smoother to operate.

Will keep you updated as the work progresses.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #73

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Darrel,
I love your RED trailer...was that the original color? I've got the same year and model, but mine is a plain-Jane with a light beige bottom and a white upper half. I'm thinking of painting the bottom half an incredible 'Aries color' (AKA: brighter-than-bright) and maybe even getting some graphics put on the sides of my tow rig, so it will 'match' the color of my Compact II.
I'm wondering whether your digital pics are hiding any dirt on your pop-top's upholstery material...mine sure doesn't look that white. What did you use to clean it with?
I couldn't figure out whether you are now re-building new closets, or is that the steel frame which lies underneath my original privacy room, as well?
How did you attach that vent/fan to the screened portion of the pop-up, over the back door?
Can't wait to see more of your shots documenting your new mods.
Thanks for posting!
PS We'll have to try for a national Compact II (plus any other pop-top fiberglass models) trailer meet this Summer or Fall.
Are you IN?
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Darrel,
I love your RED trailer...was that the original color? I've got the same year and model, but mine is a plain-Jane with a light beige bottom and a white upper half. I'm thinking of painting the bottom half an incredible 'Aries color' (AKA: brighter-than-bright) and maybe even getting some graphics put on the sides of my tow rig, so it will 'match' the color of my Compact II.
I'm wondering whether your digital pics are hiding any dirt on your pop-top's upholstery material...mine sure doesn't look that white. What did you use to clean it with?
I couldn't figure out whether you are now re-building new closets, or is that the steel frame which lies underneath my original privacy room, as well?
How did you attach that vent/fan to the screened portion of the pop-up, over the back door?
Can't wait to see more of your shots documenting your new mods.
Thanks for posting!
PS We'll have to try for a national Compact II (plus any other pop-top fiberglass models) trailer meet this Summer or Fall.
Are you IN?
Barbara
Hi Barbara. Thanks for your post. Your Compact II will really look great when you paint it. Yes red is the original color. I like it also because it gives my outfit ( tow "Old Blue" Bronco and trailer "Bed Roll") a patriotic look. It is the same color as the old magazine advertising rig being towed by a chevy Vega.

The sewn lining in my rig is off white but is in pretty good shape. I did a lot of elbow labor to scrub it but it is not too bad. That is one reason I decided to keep it.

All the framing you see in these pictures is aluminum I added. I found a lot of rot and decay when I was removing the old wood furniture. I decided aluminum would be light, durable and easy to work with. I am keeping the furniture to a minimum as the space inside is reduced with the increased bed/ sitting area. I do not plan to enclose a closet or cabinets. I will use removable storage units for travel. I increased the storage under the seating and also plan to use portable coolers under the galley area. I will not be permanently mounting a sink or stove unit but plan to make them portable so they can be used indoors or outdoors as well.

The fan unit in the back of the pop up was by accident. We bought a two fan push pull control unit for the house and I discovered that it press fit into the pop up opening. It looks like it belongs doesn't it.

I have a few other progress pictures I have not included yet so will try to get them posted as soon as I can find them.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #75

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Wow ! Darrel,,,this is just the posts i needed,,i just got a 1972 Compact Jr,, That is gutted,,with good body,,& frame,,,has been stored in an old barn sense 1980 & never used...So now my project begins,,,will have many ??s in the future !Post all the up-dates you can,,i will be watching...thanks Ron will show you all my project soon as i can?/
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #76

I am not sure if I should continue to update this thread or start a continuation on a new thread for my ongoing modifications to my 73 compact II. I have been a slacker and have not been on the forum for a while.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #77

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's okay Darrel, some of us are following along..
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #78

Thanks Donna. I will continue from here.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #79

Name: Jeannette
Trailer: Compact Jr
Oregon
cushions in Compact Jrs

I'm redoing the cushions in our Compact Jr and have a question.

I'm thinking about dividing the bottom cushions in 1/2 so I can lift the storage lid under them easier. I cut the back cushions in two several years ago and really like that. They are easier to move around and reconfigure in for different uses.

Have you seen this done and how does it work? I don't want to go to the the trouble of splitting the cushions and then be sorry I did it for various reasons. One of which might be that they separate when sleeping on them.

Does anyone out thee have bench cushions that have been cut into 2 pieces and how do you like that?
Kayakgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #80

Hello Kayakgramma
I split my cushons when I redid the interior. I have not had a problem with them. I will take pictures so you can see how it works for my application. It does allow easier access under the seating area.