1973 Compact Jr - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #57

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Once the heater was out, I could remove the rear cabinet frame and get rid of the rotted wood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p1060364.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	22182
[attachment=26551:
p1060370.jpg]

Name:	p1060368.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	22185
Attached Thumbnails
p1060366.jpg   p1060370.jpg  

p1060369.jpg  

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #58

California
I had hoped all day that I would begin building the new stuff, but so far I had only been tearing out stuff to get to something I could build from. Now I was ready!

Umm, you know, the only thing left was the cabinet face frame, and I needed to cut some parts out of it for the new drawers, and it really looked pretty shabby. So it came out too.

Now I'm down to bare fiberglass -- I guess I can build now!

Name:	p1060372.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	22187

Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #59

California
Does anyone know how to recaulk the Gentec sink drain fitting?

I can't find anything like it in modern catalogs, so I haven't found out how to take it apart and reseal the joint between the outside of the trailer body and the fitting.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #60

California
Quote:
Dana thanks for recording the changes you are making, we are facing similar issues. I have considered side mounted drawer rails as you have but I was wondering how you addressed getting the drawers to stay closed. The people I talked to suggested the center mount rail, with plastic fitting, allow some flexibility to allow the drawer to be lift up out of the recess that keeps the drawer from sliding on an even plane. How did you address this? I also have the particle board backs to the drawers but it is the pine sides that are wearing. I am exploring adding insulation which you already have.
The short answer is that I haven't even built the drawers plus retainers yet, much less tested them under real-world conditions.

However, the plan is to have a flat bar that slips into a socket on the floor and hooks to a catch on the countertop. The right side of the bar presses against the left side of the drawers and the left side of the bar presses against the right side of the two cabinet doors. Thus the one bar locks everything on the kitchen cabinet. The advantage is that there's only one thing to do to lock everything on that side of the trailer. The disadvantage, of course, is what happens if I forget to do that one thing...

I had thought of using hardware that always positively locks the doors and drawers each time they are closed, but it's a pain to use. The one that I really like is a knob that when you pull it both unlatches the door/drawer and doubles as a pull handle. I haven't seen any of these in the US though.

I hate banging my knees or other thinly-padded body parts against handles and knobs, so I'll be undercutting both sides of the drawer faces so they can be finger-pulls.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #61

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
[quote]Our plan is to mainly dry camp, aka boondocking, so 110V service will not likely be available. I really didn't like the look of the 110V power cord, and I didn't like how it was implemented -- I would prefer a socket on the trailer to the permanently attached cord.

My wife and I had discussed how we wanted the trailer set up, and the result was that lighting would be 12V, cooking and refrigeration would be by propane, and if we had 110V available we would like an easy way of bringing it into the trailer for running our battery chargers for the cameras, phones, and whatnot. Thus the 110V light over the streetside bunk and the outlet under the table were superfluous.

I also wasn't too keen on depending on a 36 yearold circuit breaker, especially after seeing how the 12V to 110V inverter had been repaired by stuffing aluminum foil into the fuse holder.

So I took it all out: power cord, breaker, light, and outlet. The really startling thing was that when I opened the junction box and pulled on the wire crimp on the neutral (white) lines, it pulled right off! Great -- just what we need, a bad connection on the neutral line. And it had been that way ever since the trailer was built.

Our plan is to carry a standard extension cord, and when 110V is available run it through the grommet in the floor that the original power cable went through. The rest of the time the grommet will be plugged with a sink stopper or something.
Sure tidies up things when that 100V cable is gone:

Attachment 22180

Dana
Great job on your trailer. Be glad you did not use that 36 year old electric box. I tried to get another breaker for my box and the sales person said that the company that made the box went out of business, seems that their product was causing to many fires and they kept getting sued. I got a new box and breakers.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #62

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Really enjoyed your story of your Compact purchase-am looking at a Compact Jr. also so will post info if I buy it.
Don`t think it will be near as interesting as yours.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #63

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Dana
Great job on your trailer. Be glade you did not use that 36 year old electric box. I tried to get another breaker for my box and the sales person said that the company that made the box went out of business, seems that their product was causing to many fires and they kept getting sued. I got a new box and breakers.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #64

California
Quote:
Dana
Great job on your trailer. Be glad you did not use that 36 year old electric box. I tried to get another breaker for my box and the sales person said that the company that made the box went out of business, seems that their product was causing to many fires and they kept getting sued. I got a new box and breakers.
The breaker wasn't my only concern -- there was no ground fault interrupter (a relatively new-fangled invention but something I believe in), and the Romex was the old style that had a very lightweight bare earth ground line. I prefer the current code, which requires all three wires (hot, neutral, and earth) to be the same gauge.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #65

California
Gray Water

My knowledge of campground rules is woefully out-of-date -- what is the customary rule for graywater? Yes, I intend to catch it and dispose of it properly at a dump or when we get back home, but I suspect connecting a hose from the 1973 Compact Jr's outside drain outlet to an open bucket won't pass muster. Not that I would do it that way, but just how codified and corporate are campgrounds these days?

May I set up the sink drain to go directly to an internal "tank" consisting of a several gallon plastic jug, which I remove and carry to a toilet or dump station if it fills up before we get home? I'm thinking of a jug of 2 1/2 to 3 gallons because that's about what I can easily carry. I would have several of these jugs so I wouldn't have to head home as soon as we generate 2 gallons of gray water. I am anticipating generating 2-3 gallons of gray water a day for the two of us -- does that sound about right?

I tried to look up what's required at Lake Casitas and didn't find anything. I want whatever I do to be acceptable at most campgrounds as well as at Lake Casitas because we plan to go there for the October rally.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #66

California
Quote:
Really enjoyed your story of your Compact purchase-am looking at a Compact Jr. also so will post info if I buy it.
Don`t think it will be near as interesting as yours.
Hi Richard, thank you for the kind words.

I look forward to seeing your posts about your new acquisition if and when you get it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #67

California
Up until about 9:30pm last night I had plans for today -- plans which included having dinner with a good friend my wife and I haven't seen for some time.

Then I came across this craigslist ad:
Quote:
[b]RV Refrigerator for sale - Gas and Electric
Date: 2009-08-01, 3:50PM PDT

Selling my gently used Dometic RV refrigerator. Works perfectly and gets very cold inside. This size is a perfect replacement fit for that old icebox.
Runs of either propane or electricity. It also has a small freezer compartment with an icemaker.

$200
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #68

California
I had been haunting craigslist for weeks looking for a fridge small enough for my trailer. I had almost snagged two different fridges from VW Westfalia campers, but they sold before I could get to them. In some ways I was concerned about the fussy snout that is used for both the intake and exhaust on them, which makes them harder to light and challenges their cooling capacity.

But I hadn't seen anything else that was shallow enough.

Was this the ONE?

It was too late to call so I waited as rapidly as possible for 9am (it is a Sunday, after all, and some people like to sleep in). I made the call but only got the recording so I left a message. Because the ad hadn't said anything about the size or model number I asked for the dimensions.

And waited.

I had the windows open so I could hear the phone while I worked on the kitchen refurb, but I would check the answering machine from time to time in case I hasn't heard the phone.

No messages.

Then at 12:37 I got the call.

It is a Dometic RM2190 and is 20 1/2" deep, 21 1/2" high, and 17 3/4" wide.

It will fit!!

So I tell the seller that I am coming right down, but I will need to rent a small trailer from U-Haul first, which usually takes about half an hour, and that I expect to arrive between 3 and 4pm. I also ask him to call the cell phone if he sells the fridge before I get there so I don't have to travel all the way.

He tells me he will not sell the fridge out from under me if I am really coming.

I am! I am!

My wife and I jump in the car and head to U-Haul. Well, U-Haul is hopping with students returning trucks, renting trucks, buying boxes, and the line is almost out the door. Umm, this will take a while....

It only took 48 minutes, but now we were stuck in the everybody is driving home to LA at the end of the weekend traffic, or as a friend likes to call it, the linear parking lot.

So we call and tell the seller that the ETA has shifted to no earlier than 4:30. He seems fine with that.

We drive and drive, then drive some more. We call to say that we're about 15 minutes away from his house -- no answer. But he had said he was working around the yard and to leave a message, so we did.

He called back just as I came to an intersection that redirected traffic differently than what I had planned as my route. He guided us through the maze and we got to his house.

Guess what we saw? A really nice guy with a Trillium 4500 in his driveway, and beyond it a Scamp!

Hey, this is looking good!

We toured the Trill, then looked at the fridge which he had hooked up to propane and had running to show that it really worked. Then he showed me how to light it. So I bought it -- what else could I do?

It turns out James and his friend rebuild and customize "canned ham" trailers, but for themselves prefer the much lighter and easier to tow molded fiberglass trailers.

I'll be asking him for a price for making a new popup skirt and a few other things. Further details will be posted as they become available.

And dinner with our dear friend? Upstaged by the refrigerator!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #69

California
Oh dear, I had forgotten to include the pictures with the craigslist ad -- pretend this post is part of the ad.

Name:   3n83kc3p9ZZZZZZZZZ9810f7c941d262418fd.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  6.3 KB
[attachment=26721:3nd3kd3o...aa3b1790.
jpg]
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #70

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
1. Small world, to purchase from a fiberglass person.

2. Good things happen to those who wait.

3. Things happen for a reason.

4. CONGRATULATIONS on the find!!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote