Georgia
Looks so great. I love the bunks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #44

Name: Mark
Trailer: '79 Beachcomber
Alberta
Wow!! Looks great!!

We just picked up a (The lady we bought it from said 69 but I don't think they were made in 69) Beachcomber. I know nothing about trailers but this one looks like it's in good shape. My wife and two kids are planning a trip to Texas as well this summer.
Can't wait to fix mine up. But where do I start?!

Old 05-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #45

Name: Jonathon
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Hello,
What did you do for painting the exterior? I just picked one up myself and am starting the demo process.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #46

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
How do you go about framing the inside?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #47

Name: Brad
British Columbia
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1582 View Post
Hello,
What did you do for painting the exterior? I just picked one up myself and am starting the demo process.
Hey Sully, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. For painting the exterior, I just picked up a stock auto color so that it would be easy to match if I ever had to make touch ups. The trailer was just a fiberglass shell when I bought it, so there wasn't a lot of prep work. The guys at Dynamic RV made a simple spray booth made of poly and wood and sprayed it. Its not like a show car, and it doesn't need to be perfect. Its a fiberglass body, so its not like its going to rust or anything. The black graphics on the trailer are just decals. Get an image off the net you like in a "vector" format, and then take it to a print shop and they can blow it up to any size you want.
Hope that answers your question.
Brad.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #48

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
How do you go about framing the inside?

That is the hardest part of building a beachcomber, and is way above my skill level. The guys at Dynamic RV did it for me and did a fantastic job. You literally have to back-frame it like a house using pressure treated lumber OR cedar if you want to save weight. There is a really good thread somewhere on this site for framing a beachcomber and it has detailed pics on it. One very important component is the ceiling. The lumber for the ceiling has to be framed in an arch that gets slightly taller towards the middle so that the fiberglass it pushed up slightly towards the middle. If you don't do that, the water won't run off and will just sit on top in a pool and eventually find a way to make it into the trailer.
I have quite a few detailed pics of the framing. If you email me directly at "upsdelivery" at "hot" "mail", I can send you some pics.
One other tip, have a detailed floor plan before you start. Like figure out exactly what you want and where and then measure it out exactly to the mm. That's the very first step, and take your time with that, because when you're done, if you haven't thought about it, you'll run into problems or you'll have forgotten something.
FYI, I spoke to Ted at Dynamic RV in Chilliwack last week and he found a 1970s BeachComber B15 and is getting ready to do a full custom set up on it, and given the fact that mine was the first one he did, and he did an excellent job, I'd only imagine that the next one will be even better as it was a HUGE learning curve. That would be a great opportunity for someone as they could give him their input to what they want to have, and he could customize it to suit your needs.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #49

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Manitoba
Beautiful reno. I am curious about the treatment on the band area. I am assuming that it is a vinyl product and am interested in the adhesive that you used. I am going to do something similar but can only find adhesives for indoor use.
Thank you.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #50

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1582 View Post
Hello,
Paint was easy. Get it all prepped and masked off to spray, and then if you don't have access to a spray booth, make one buy putting a basic frame together with 2x4s around the shell and cover it in 6mil poly using staples. Just make sure its big enough so that you have room to walk around and spray the shell. Then you can go to a rental store and rent a paint sprayer (make sure to use a mask and glasses). I would recommend picking out a color that is stock from a vehicle. That way if you ever get a nick or scratch in it, you can easily touch it up. The paint doesn't have to be perfect because its all fiberglass, and you don't have to worry about rust.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #51

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Beautiful reno. I am curious about the treatment on the band area. I am assuming that it is a vinyl product and am interested in the adhesive that you used. I am going to do something similar but can only find adhesives for indoor use.
Thank you.
I'm assuming you're talking about the banding between the top and lower half of the shell? The guys at Dynamic RV fiber-glassed together at first, but then realized that it was designed as two seperate pieces for a reason, because it started to crack the first time they moved it. I guess it needs that gap, so they cut the fiberglass back into two halves again and then used that aluminum checker plate to hold it together. Not even sure if they used an adhesive to be honest. I know they used black silicone around the windows and doors, but not sure about the band. If you need adhesive, I would use PL400 as its for exterior use and dries super hard. If you have any questions, call Ted at Dynamic RV in Chilliwack. He's super friendly and helpful and I'm sure he can answer any questions you may have along the way.

Tags
beachcomber