1974 Boler Resto. Oops, I did it again... - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #121

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
amazing job, you are inspiring me to work on mine
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #122

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Perfection! as usual.

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #123

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Ugh! I wish you lived a little closer to Michigan so that I could tour this beauty in person! What a fabulous camper!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #124

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
Robert,
Great job on the boler. Just have a question about all the cabnetery. How did you go about attaching all the cabinets you had built to the fiberglass shell.
Thanks
Jason.
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #125

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephills View Post
Robert,
Great job on the boler. Just have a question about all the cabnetery. How did you go about attaching all the cabinets you had built to the fiberglass shell.
Thanks
Jason.
I'm not Robert, but he posted that information on page 6... post #80: Direct Link

I bookmarked the info, just incase anyone else asked the same kind of question in a different thread
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #126

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
Donna,

Thanks!
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #127
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Well, true confessions...

While attempting to hang my upper cabinets to the wood anchor blocks I had cemented to the shell (as described earlier) the glue failed and the blocks broke free!

I do not know if this was user-error or if I was expecting too much performance from the cement, in any case, I had to find another way to attach the blocks to the shell with complete confidence that they would not fall.

(BTW, this was not an issue for the blocks used to keep the LOWER cabinetry tight and in place. Gravity and floor attachment points did not allow as much stress on the wall blocks as the UPPERs were creating.)

My solution? Three stainless steel carriage bolts. It' a bit complicated, but here's what I did to insure a strong and leak-proof connection:

1) Through the shell I drilled a hole to the exact width of the bolt shank.

2) To this hole I took a small flat file and made the round hole "square" in order to receive the square neck of the carriage bolt. This step insures that carriage bolt could seat into the shell and NOT spin.

3) I then wrapped the top end of the bolt's threads and neck with a bead of butyl putty, pushed the bolt through the square hole until it "seated" tightly against the FG. Inside I added a small SS washer and nut, then tightened until the butyl putty eased out. The tight fit and putty should prevent any water infiltration.

4) To my new plywood block I bored a hole for the bolt shank AND a shallow void to allow the nut/washer at the shell to "countersink" into the block.

5) With a liberal amount of construction adhesive applied onto the block and filling the countersink hole, the block got pushed onto the shaft and squeezed to the shell. (This glue will also help prevent water leaks around the bolt, should the butyl putty fail.)

6) Another SS washer and nut then got spun onto the bolt shaft and the block was tightened to the shell. BUT not TOO tight, just enough to squeeze out a little adhesive. Overtightening could either distort or crack the shell exterior.

7) With the adhesive dry, and the bolt insuring that there was no way for the block to pull away, the block was now firmly affixed to the shell, and ready to use as an anchor for my cabinets.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CarriageBltConnects.pdf (50.5 KB, 42 views)
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #128
Commercial Member

Registry
Here's a diagram of the connection...
Attached Thumbnails
CarriageBltConnects.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #129

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Well, true confessions...

While attempting to hang my upper cabinets to the wood anchor blocks I had cemented to the shell (as described earlier) the glue failed and the blocks broke free!

Robert, what kind of glue were you using? Do you ever use 3M 5200?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #130

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Robert, Truly this is the Most Amazing redo, rebuild, project I have ever seen!
You are a talented atistc craftsman! A Plus! Will bookmark this one. Love the finger holes in the cabinets.
The floorplan makes so much sense. I saw a tab trailer a few years ago, small space but the floor plan was similiar to yours in relation to the location of the bed and the L shape kitchen with long counter top and lots of cabinets.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #131

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post

Robert, that's a bummer about the blocks/glue failing. I am planning to anchor my cabinets the same as your initial design - glue. I was thinking that I would additionally reinforce the blocks with straps of fiberglass mat (in a cross pattern). Do you figure this would prevent the blocks from ripping out? I really don't want to put holes in the body...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #132

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Robert, that's a bummer about the blocks/glue failing. I am planning to anchor my cabinets the same as your initial design - glue. I was thinking that I would additionally reinforce the blocks with straps of fiberglass mat (in a cross pattern). Do you figure this would prevent the blocks from ripping out? I really don't want to put holes in the body...
Trillium did something similar for some of their accessories. I am thinking of the Bunk bar to keep kids from falling out of the top bunk.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #133

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
Hey Robert just a quick question to you or any one that knows the answer .. when you insulated and put on the hull liner how did you manage to curve it around the beveled corners of the shell with out having wrinkles . I want to rip the ugly foam off my walls and do the same but i don't understand how you were able to do it
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #134

Well dang, guess I'd better trash my bookmark... glad you found a solution that worked though!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #135

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post
Hey Robert just a quick question to you or any one that knows the answer .. when you insulated and put on the hull liner how did you manage to curve it around the beveled corners of the shell with out having wrinkles . I want to rip the ugly foam off my walls and do the same but i don't understand how you were able to do it
I am curious about the walls. What was used for insulation, covering?

My rat fur has got to go! May be my spring project!

Also, you have some type of clasp/lock for all the drawers? Or so do they just magically stay in place while traveling?

Amazing work!!!!!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I am curious about the walls. What was used for insulation, covering?
Post #85, he mentioned using Reflectix as insulation

Post #89, he mentioned using Hulliner as final covering

Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #137
Commercial Member

Registry
Slav,
You know, I'm not sure what happened... I think my blocks probably failed due to pilot error — not enough time or attention to the surface prep. It's also possible that I put too much pressure driving fasteners into the blocks. Nevertheless, next time I'll prep very diligently, use a quick drying glue to hold the blocks in position, and tightly wrap resin/matt around the blocks. Then I'll be more careful when attaching the cabinets to the blocks.

Farmer,
Hulliner does NOT stretch like "rat fur," so working the corners is tricky. You have to carefully plan out your cuts. I was able to hide a lot of seams behind cabinetry. And where seams are visible, butting two very clean and straight edges together doesn't look too bad.

(BTW, Reflectix as an insulator is more efficient WITHOUT a wall covering over it. So, hidden wall areas are better off uncovered.)

Dylan,
I use "rooster" latches on the inside of all doors and drawers. These are accessible through the finger holes.

Thanks to all for the kind words.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #138

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Robert,

Do you have some final external pics for us of the finished rig?

Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #139

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Thanks, been a long time since I was last reading through this topic, should have searched.

This got pointed out in the Hull Liner thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post359629
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #140
Commercial Member

Registry
By request, here are some pix of the exterior.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1599 - Copy.JPG   IMG_1602.JPG  

IMG_1608.JPG   IMG_1607.JPG  

Tags
boler