1974 Trillium 1300 Project - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #21

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
It is an ex German military ambulance with the troop deck installed. It has a 3000 KG payload capacity good for grocery shopping and beer runs.

Here is a pic of me taking it through a little hole. The rock wall on the other side of the pit was really cool to watch the truck climb out.
Whoa! How is the gas mileage... and do you have any trouble finding parts?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #22

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
That actually made me laugh out loud. The parts part especially.
Hey.
My other job is part-time entertainer.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I drive a 1995 Firefly that I purchased for $300. I love that car. I also have a parts car, though a 1996.

Dollar signs is all I could see when I saw that picture.

But, I gotta say, a very real part of me needs one. Just not the part that pays for my kids education.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #24

Name: Andy
Trailer: Trillium
Colorado
Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing the finish frame. We're doing the new axle and frame restore on our 75' Trillium this winter ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
ajdemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #25

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Whoa! How is the gas mileage... and do you have any trouble finding parts?
Thanx. I get around 17 MPG the way this Unimog is spec'd out regardless of in town or on the highway due to the gearing. The OM366A Turbo diesel motor in this model peaks out at 2600 RPM so I am not high revving like the older models.

Parts aren't an issue. There are numerous businesses around North America that deal in these trucks. Also I can walk into a Freightliner dealership and order parts of I wanted. Myself I usually order from England to save money. Unimogs like this one are built really strong and simple so there isn't too much to go wrong and if it does it gives you a lot of warning. Makes sense because the militaries around the world that use them wouldn't if they weren't reliable.

Quote:
I drive a 1995 Firefly that I purchased for $300. I love that car. I also have a parts car, though a 1996.

Dollar signs is all I could see when I saw that picture.

But, I gotta say, a very real part of me needs one. Just not the part that pays for my kids education.
Dollar signs are exactly what you should be seeing because this truck sold for about $100,000 in the late 80's and to buy one just like mine will cost you around $30,000 plus right now.

It's a real working truck and I have used it in some extreme off-road conditions but also helped many people out by carrying heavy or oversized loads for them. Once I pulled two turbo diesel dually trucks out of a muddy backyard for a friend. They were all daisy chained together and all I did was set 4WD locked, idle in first gear and dragged them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing the finish frame. We're doing the new axle and frame restore on our 75' Trillium this winter ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Thanx !!! The frame is all painted now and we are hoping to get it back under the body tomorrow. After that we will replace the wiring and lights then start working on interior updates. I am trying to find a three way fridge original or new that fits the hole where the ice box is.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #26

British Columbia
Today we prepped the painted frame with new body foam to prevent chaffing with the fiberglass body. We also went to stainless steel hardware instead of the original carbon steel for mounting it. Next we are tackling some of the electrical issues with the trailer lighting.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #27

Name: Don
Ontario
Looks really great. I really wish I knew how to weld. Not since high school which was many moons ago. I'll try to follow your rebuild.
Love the Unimog. I'm heading down to Overland Expo East at the end of the mth. Vehicle heaven.
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #28

British Columbia
This is week after mounting the body back on the frame we tackled the electric installing new wiring to the truck with a new 7 pin connector. I also replaced the safety chains with new grade 70 chain and 1700 LB SWL links.

All the wiring for the 12V system now goes to a junction box mounted under the front seat/couch area. The best way to describe the wiring by previous owners is " abortionized ".

Installed some new LED tail lights and marker lights. Holes will be filled when the trailer is painted next year.

Also replaced the rusty 110V AC fluorescent light under the cupboards with a 12V DC LED light bar. We used arborite counter top covering to cover up the million holes in the fiberglass from people mounting different lights over the years. We also did the same when we mounted the reading lights on either side of the cupboards.

On order is:

sealed battery box
stainless steel cooktop
new city water, water tank filler, 110v hook up plastic covers
RV 110V AC to 12V DC converter/charger
Old 09-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Looks really great. I really wish I knew how to weld. Not since high school which was many moons ago. I'll try to follow your rebuild.
Love the Unimog. I'm heading down to Overland Expo East at the end of the mth. Vehicle heaven.
Thank You !!!

Welding is one of my favourite things to do. My father first taught me how to weld when I was in my early teens. In fact a lot of all the useful skills I learned in life I learned from him.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #30

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Underneath the new light by the stove area, what is the box thingy under the ensolite?
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBunny View Post
Underneath the new light by the stove area, what is the box thingy under the ensolite?
Box thingy? Can you repost my pic so I can answer you better?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #32

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
This is week after mounting the body back on the frame we tackled the electric installing new wiring to the truck with a new 7 pin connector. I also replaced the safety chains with new grade 70 chain and 1700 LB SWL links.

All the wiring for the 12V system now goes to a junction box mounted under the front seat/couch area. The best way to describe the wiring by previous owners is " abortionized ".

Installed some new LED tail lights and marker lights. Holes will be filled when the trailer is painted next year.

Also replaced the rusty 110V AC fluorescent light under the cupboards with a 12V DC LED light bar. We used arborite counter top covering to cover up the million holes in the fiberglass from people mounting different lights over the years. We also did the same when we mounted the reading lights on either side of the cupboards.

On order is:

sealed battery box
stainless steel cooktop
new city water, water tank filler, 110v hook up plastic covers
RV 110V AC to 12V DC converter/charger

See under the light? A shadow of a boxy thing under the ensolite, with another white circly thing on it?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #33

British Columbia
Quote:
See under the light? A shadow of a boxy thing under the ensolite, with another white circly thing on it?
That's the piece of wood laminated into the fiberglass for the guard rail on the top bunk bed.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #34

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
That's the piece of wood laminated into the fiberglass for the guard rail on the top bunk bed.
As visible in the brochure:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...r_Brochure.pdf

They used two shower curtain rod holders and a spring loaded bar.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #35

Ontario
Registry
Ah ha. Thanks very much for answering such a silly question.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #36

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Not a silly question.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #37

British Columbia
Well these little wood anchors became my new best friend. A couple of screws were starting to strip going into the wood where my door hinges attach to the frame and door. The wood seemed solid but it was clear This needed to be addressed as the door sagged a bit. We used these steel threaded 10-24 wood anchor inserts to do the repair. First we drilled the holes out in the fiberglass and wood to the desired size for the anchor to bite into. The. We used a slightly large drill bit to get the anchor past the fiberglass to screw into the wood. Before we screwed it in we put JB Weld Epoxy in the holes and on the insert.

To seal the hinge from any water entry in the future we used 3M 5200 Above and Below Marine Urthane sealant and adhesive. It's safe to say that these inserts will never rot out or ever come out.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:
Quote:
Not a silly question.
Definitely not a silly question.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:10 AM   #39

Name: William
Ontario
Thank you for the detailed repairs with pictures...I knew nothing about Trilliums when I purchased it..I guess I got very lucky with mine..When purchasing, I looked over the frame which looked good, the door has the same issues as yours..so thank you for the great Idea on repair..

I installed a Generator, took out the very heavy fridge,, mounted a Ice box, removed the newly covered interior, I have all my surf and Dive gear which is always sandy and wet..and installed drain plugs in the floor so I can just hose out my interior..

I just inspected the wheel bearings,re packed them and headed south to Florida..

You have got me thinking..Over the winter, I will also pull the body, and do the same frame modifications..just for piece of mind..
Roadsterrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #40

British Columbia
Large update with pictures coming soon.

Here's a quick look......12v 19" flat screen installed.

Tags
trillium