1974 Trillium - Refresh! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Name: Dirk
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
1974 Trillium - Refresh!

Hi,
I purchased a 1974 Trillium Trailer back in April. On initial pre-inspection i was not happy with modification to the tongue and new it would have to be replaced. However, after removing the frame from the egg, i quickly learned i was in for a bit more work!

Here is what the trailer looked like on Day 1.

First up was to clean the 1970's gunk out of all the compartments, I then gave them a refresh with a couple coats of Killz paint.

Drichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

Alberta
After removing the doors and old closet shelving it was becoming clear that too many screws had been in the fiberglass along the side of the closet, was looking more like swiss cheese. I decided to recover the sides and interior of the closet with wood, I used 1/8" Baltic Birch. Stained the exterior dark and kept the interior light.

After a full clean of the interior it was time to remove the egg from its frame, and begin working on the Tongue. It took lots of manoeuvring but managed to remove the egg without it tipping over.

It tuned out that there was excessive tongue weight due to the PO welding the tongue up tight and it filled with water!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #3

Alberta
Before removing the tongue I took it too a Consolidated Compressor for a quick sandblast

SandBlasting was a great time saver, it took all the rust and junk off the frame in minutes, once back home i removed the tongue. Once i had the fresh frame back home the horror began, the frame was cracked at the axle mounting point, and the old 70's axle was pooched. Time for some fixing!

Some test fitting for the new one

While the frame was off the trailer, I figured it would be a good time to Paint the bottom 1/2. I used West Systems Marine Grade Paint, White after many Hours of sanding, the Top half will get painted next year when i replace the windows.

Time to Weld, this project was a prefect excuse to buy a welder, I spoiled my self and picked up a nice Millermatic211, an amazing little welder. Time to test it out on the tongue and new Axle from Standens.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

Alberta
I changed the original Axle from a 22 degree up to a 22 degree down, this added 4" of clearance to the underside of the frame. Enough to offset the new tongue.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-G...020_125914.jpg

After 3 months of living on stilts the egg finally is back on its frame.

Now I know this is not 100% legit, but It seems like the most logical location for the battery, i have moved it inside to the rear compartment beside the closet. This allowed me easy access to the original 115 wire and I also decided to install a charge controller (WF-8725). Now to get rid of the off gassing of the battery, I purchased a sealed vented battery box and vented it out the side of the trailer, just to be safe!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

Alberta
The interior has been left its original gel coat color of green. However all the doors have been rebuilt using Stained Baltic Birch, including the table.
The Cushions have been recovered, thanks to my girlfriend. And all the hardware has been repainted Orange, to add some flare.
I also added `1/2" rigid insulation to the floor and finished it with vinyl (wood lookalike). The icebox was removed and repainted (although I will be repainting again in the spring to match the Furnace cover). All the 12 volt lighting was replaced and updated. The bulbs have been changed over to LED.

The utensil drawer was built by the PO, i painted it orange and installed it onto my new table

All that is left is to weld a holder on the tongue for a propane bottle and to add a jack. I also have some more interior lighting that is still in the mail. I will be installing LED strip lighting to all the lower "bunks" and to the cabinet above the sink, and last but not least will be the stereo.

Can't wait to start using this, our plan is to take it skiing all winter!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice Work! Its looking great.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Great jopb Dirk,
I thought the front tongue looked a bit heavey and overkill, must add a lot of weight to the front area.
I presume your trailer is a 13 foot model.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Wow, good job! Definitely a labor of love -- why else do we take on these crazy projects?? Thanks for all the pictures; I got some great ideas to use in my 17' Bigfoot (LOVE the "old-fashioned" cabinet hardware). Onward & upward, Dirk!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Name: Mellany
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Kansas
Fantastic! Wondering where you found interior lights for your vintage Trillium.
Mellany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellany View Post
Fantastic! Wondering where you found interior lights for your vintage Trillium.
We may never know. Kirk hasn't been around for quite a while: Last Activity: 03-11-2014 02:31 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium