1975 Boler Complete Restoration....my once in a lifetime project! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #101

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Just a quick update! At last, the weather is warming up here and I can get back to my project! I glued in the first panel yesterday at it went quite well except for a small crack where the radius was quite tight. It will be hidden in a cabinet and can be made nearly invisible with some epoxy putty! I used PL Premium along the strips with 1/16" spacers approximately 8 - 10" intervals to leave a little gap between the strips on the trailer and the back of the panel (I wanted to avoid completely squeezing the adhesive out). The little blocks are small clamping pads which will be removed after the PL Premium has cured. I used Titebond III to glue the panel around the window. I'll use a router to flush trim the panel to the window after I remove the clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
First panel.jpg  
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #102

British Columbia
Also, I got my door back from the fellow that fibreglassed it for me. He did a great job (Chris at wetworksglassing.com)!! Doesn't look much different in this photo but it's completely waterproof now and glassy smooth!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiberglassed door.jpg  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #103

British Columbia
And lastly....I've decided to have a new frame built for my Boler. I had a few modifications in mind for the existing one but got to thinking that "while I'm at it"... Now is the time!! I've posted an ad in the classified section to sell the old frame with the relatively new 2000 lb Dexter axle for anyone that might be interested.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #104

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Your project is looking good. Nice the door came out well.

I've been looking at replacing the frame for my burro. Been deciding between the Dexter and Flexiride axles. Both look pretty good.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #105

Name: bruce
Trailer: Mini T
Washington
Your efforts are amazing!!! Looking forward to your continued success in restoring your vision for this one of a kind trailer!

Bruce
blueruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #106

British Columbia
Thanks Bruce and Daniel! I looked at both brands of torsion axles and will go with the Flexiride. The deciding factors for me were the ability to adjust the height of each individual arm considering that the trailer may be heavier on one side and that it will only take 1 week to get the Flexiride axle...4 - 6 weeks for the Dexter. Will be starting the frame next week so will need the axle ASAP.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #107

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanos View Post
Thanks Bruce and Daniel! I looked at both brands of torsion axles and will go with the Flexiride. The deciding factors for me were the ability to adjust the height of each individual arm considering that the trailer may be heavier on one side and that it will only take 1 week to get the Flexiride axle...4 - 6 weeks for the Dexter. Will be starting the frame next week so will need the axle ASAP.
Didn't realize it'll take a week to get the Flexiride. Getting it at the Southwest Wheel place?
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #108

British Columbia
I'm in British Columbia...getting it at a local shop that supplies springs and axles
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #109

Northern VA
Ah, ok.

Still, I need to get measurements of my burro frame soon so I can find a welder to make me a new frame. Thanks to threads like yours, I'm getting some good ideas to work on my camper.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #110

British Columbia
Onwards...
The new frame for my Boler is now complete! Took about a month from start to finish, cost more than I was anticipating (or hoping ) but I'm really pleased with the finished product!! Now I have complete confidence that all of the effort I'm putting into the body is matched by a solid frame! I purchased a new 2000 lb Flexiride axle with electric brakes. The plan by Ian Giles from Proud Canadian website was a very useful guide but measuring and checking from my own Boler was critical since the measurements from Ian's plan did not match my particular trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
New frame 1.jpg   New frame 2.jpg  

New frame 3.jpg  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #111

British Columbia
Sandblasted!....
Attached Thumbnails
Sandblasted 1.jpg   Sandblasted 2.jpg  

Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #112

British Columbia
Finished frame! Decided to have it hot dipped galvanized which turned out very well and was quite reasonably priced. Should be very durable. Still have to have a bumper made and will get a box made for the tongue to store batteries and a propane tank. The tongue ended up being about 4 1/2' long so there will be lots of room!
Attached Thumbnails
Finished frame 1.jpg   Finished frame 2.jpg  

Finished frame 3.jpg  
Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 AM   #113

Name: Tenneille
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Awesome rebuild and very helpful to have these photos showing progress. . How did you go about getting the trailer certified? Just take in for an inspection? How did you cap off the rails at the back? In the photo they are open.
Tenneille M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #114

British Columbia
Hi Tenneille,
Thank you Glad you're finding the photos helpful. I have gotten many great ideas from this forum as well!!
The trailer has not been certified. I'll look into that process once it's getting closer to being finished. I see you're in British Columbia...if you find out any information on that, would you mind sharing?
The open rails at the back are there for a bolt on bumper that will be built. The new curved bumper will have tabs that slide into those rails and will be bolted to be secured.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #115

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Been hoping to see pics of any progress,,, ?
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #116

British Columbia
Hi Fred,
Yes, there has been lots of progress but it just seems like lots of the same to me (cut, fit, prep, install panels...repeat) Trailer is now bolted back onto the frame, about 2/3 of the paneling done on the inside, an arduous door installation (getting the hinges to work when installing on two opposite angled surfaces required some head-scratching solutions...more on that in another post very soon) and lots of details to be done before handing it off to a body shop for prep and painting near the end of July. Very exciting!! I'll post some pictures in the next week
Old 07-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #117

British Columbia
Very pivotal point in this renovation reached yesterday!!! I towed my Boler to Mike's Quality Bodyworks in Mapleridge, B.C. for body prep and painting!! There was a LOT of work to finish before paint...as much of the paneling on the inside as possible as well as all the other details that needed to be complete before paint (hang the door, drill all through holes, cut plexiglass windows etc). Finishing and hanging the door was very challenging! My biggest mistake (but I didn't know any better) was not supporting the roof of the Boler after removing the interior components and door. As a result, the "egg" flattened, especially around the door (very noticeable when comparing pictures of the original trailer shape to the current). The offshoot of this was discovered after the first door hanging attempt...the angles of the pins/bolts of the top and bottom hinges were opposite of each other resulting in the door binding as it was opened. The door needs to pivot on two pins that line up vertically with each other. The solution....wedges under the hinges. I used a small torpedo level taped to a bolt to find how much angle was required to have the bolt sit plumb. I then made test wedges for each of the hinge components and did my second fitting...success!
Attached Thumbnails
door hinges.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #118

British Columbia
The second challenge with the door was discovering that once it was hung, it was not sitting flat against the door frame...the top hit first and the bottom was sitting out about an inch! Not a good situation for keeping water out!! Fortunately, I hadn't yet put the 1/8" plywood on the inside of the door. Solution...with the door sitting inside face up on my work bench, block/clamp the hinge-side exactly as it was sitting and then move the top of the door out and push the bottom of the door in on the latch-side enough to have it sit flush to the outside of the trailer (measured while the door was sitting on the trailer). I then blocked/clamped it in the new shape and screwed a piece of 1/8" plywood on the inside face to hold the new shape. Success with the test fit!! Tweaked it a little, then committed with glueing a piece of 1/8" plywood to the inside face. A little more tweaking of the hinges to get an even reveal all the way around. The body shop guys will do any other fine tuning to get a great fit with gasket in place. I want to make sure no water will be getting in around the door!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3974.jpg   IMG_3975.jpg  

IMG_3980.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #119

British Columbia
Here are some before pictures inside and out! The body shop will also do some filling and faring to the paneling on the inside of the trailer...they are the experts and it's one of those times where that is money well spent.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2848.jpg   IMG_2849.jpg  

IMG_2853.jpg   IMG_2854.jpg  

Old 07-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #120

British Columbia
Exterior...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2856.jpg   IMG_2857.jpg  

IMG_2858.jpg   IMG_2859.jpg