1975 CareFree (On life support) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
1975 CareFree (On life support)

It has been a while since we sold our little Scamp, and I chanced upon this little gal the other day. She has definitely had a rough life, and I wanted to give her a new home, with our loving family. I know nothing about this trailer, and i am going to need every ounce of moral support I can get from everyone here. This is going to be a big project

I am guessing a tree fell on it. Major amounts of fiberglass patching. It looks like it sealed up, but its rougher than lava rock. All of the interior wood panels and cabinetry are rotten from water damage. The cabinets are there with exception of the kitchen, which is completely missing. The ceiling is fiberglass, Most of the walls are wood panel and are all rotten. Floor is rotted out in major areas. The pictures are kind of bleached out, but on the first photo all of the brown on the top side rear and front is glass-work... YIKES... And from what i can see inside, it looks like large chunks of body were blown out by an impact. But it's too early to tell. I am curious as to if anyone here knows anything about this trailers history?

If anyone happens to have any owners manual for this original trailer I would die to see a copy. First thing i notice is that the Fresh Water, Water Heater, Grey & Black tanks are all at the forward of the trailer? I don't understand the weight distribution here. I would love to know the actual GVR and original weight class if anyone knows it.

Will post progress pictures, and more of the current state!

Thank you all!
Attached Thumbnails
photo 12.jpg   photo 11.jpg  

photo 10.jpg   photo 14.jpg  

photo 5.jpg   photo 8.jpg  

photo 1.jpg   photo 6.jpg  

Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Wow Dave,
You must have been updating your post with the links as I was trying to post a reply. I got a new error for this site, I've never seen before:

Error 503 Service Unavailable
Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:
XID: 404417049
Varnish cache server

Guru Meditation sounds far out to me.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Life support? Nah, check out Norms' thread... absolutely amazing what can be done: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post261276

Here's the after: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-59846.html
Old 04-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am guessing this is the same trailer that was on Portlands CL for 250, then I saw it again for XXX as a flip a day later (Don't want to reveal the price in respect of your privacy, David)

The REALLY good news about this one is..the door lock is worth a pretty penny. It's the elusive Bargman L400..did you get keys? Does it work?

My roof wasn't as bad as this ones is, but, as Donna says, miracles can happen and I managed to pull what I am sure the PO thought was a lost cause out of the ruins and now have a leakless rig..despite similar damage + hail and bad gel coat.

I am sure you will have fun restoring it!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Life support? Nah, check out Norms' thread... absolutely amazing what can be done: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post261276

Here's the after: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-59846.html

I remember watching Norms rebuild, That was AMAZING I actually did a Scamp that was just about as bad (OK Not even Close). A Log fell on it and cracked the whole top open, but i had all the pieces. It was easier in a lot of ways, as the Scamp is single hulled. This thing is Double Hulled, with a combination of Fiberglass and Plywood. So you cannot easily repair the broken fiberglass from the inside where it should be dun.

Lots of potential for a nice trailer here, It is well worth the rebuild for me. I would just love to hear from anyone else who has had to have the walls open in one of these!

Thank's for the reply!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I am guessing this is the same trailer that was on Portlands CL for 250, then I saw it again for XXX as a flip a day later (Don't want to reveal the price in respect of your privacy, David)

The REALLY good news about this one is..the door lock is worth a pretty penny. It's the elusive Bargman L400..did you get keys? Does it work?

My roof wasn't as bad as this ones is, but, as Donna says, miracles can happen and I managed to pull what I am sure the PO thought was a lost cause out of the ruins and now have a leakless rig..despite similar damage + hail and bad gel coat.

I am sure you will have fun restoring it!
Yes I did buy it off CL in Portlandia. I don't know about previous listing, but i was sure the very nice chap I purchased it from had recently acquired it. It is not a project for the weak of heart that's for sure! I paid what it was worth to me to own it... Understanding that this is a complete and total rebuild!

No keys with the lock but it does latch very nicely! Whats that door latch worth? I might have to sell it to afford the renovations... LOL

The furnace looks very good, not barely any rust on it, i usually do all new appliances in rebuilds, but this one might make it through. Hydorflame BRC 10. Pilot light gravity furnace.

With the scarcity of information available on this trailer I will try and document my trials and hopefully tribulations thoroughly.

I have not been able to find a stitch of information on the history of the manufacturer. They were made in Trail British Columbia (just north of the Spokane Boarder). And the CEO at one time was a "Don Ewing". That is all i can find. I cannot even find a business license in the archives.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
With keys that latch is worth $200 to $300. If you take it out and to a competent lock smith, they should be able to key it for a reasonable price.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #9

Few more photos for the album!

One thing i notice is that the Fibeglass seams to be thinner than the Scamp/Boler glass. The original is tan in color, is there any chance this is an Epoxy resin, and not Polyester? I would doubt it, but would explain why the PO's repair is flaking off.

My Makita Grinder and I are going to become really close pals over the next couple weeks... Yikes!
Attached Thumbnails
photo 20.jpg   photo 19.jpg  

photo 18.jpg   photo 16.jpg  

photo 17.jpg   photo 23.jpg  

photo 21.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
With keys that latch is worth $200 to $300. If you take it out and to a competent lock smith, they should be able to key it for a reasonable price.
LOL Thanks for the appraisal! I will keep that in my back pocket, if the project goes south!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
FYI:

There is- or used to be- a locksmith next door to the Fred Meyer Store in Tualatin who has original Bargman keyblanks and is very familiar with the brand/era. Got some keys for my '78 made there. (My lockset is the next size up from yours but similar in every other way).

Assuming he's still there, he could likely make you some keys if you remove/take the whole shootin' match to him.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Francesca, that looks like a Bargman L400 to me.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Good grief- I'm blind as a bat...same lockset as on my Trillium, right? Should be no problem for that locksmith, then!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had the L400 on my 13ft Burro re keyed after I damaged the one key I had for it. Any competent locksmith should be able to do it.

I have one on my Leocraft..I cross my fingers every time I use it that it will last a long time longer!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Looks like a stretched Ventura other than the windows!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
Y
With the scarcity of information available on this trailer I will try and document my trials and hopefully tribulations thoroughly.

I have not been able to find a stitch of information on the history of the manufacturer. They were made in Trail British Columbia (just north of the Spokane Boarder). And the CEO at one time was a "Don Ewing". That is all i can find. I cannot even find a business license in the archives.
Now you have a project David! Look forward to following it.

If you haven't seen it member Kevin K posted a picture of a brochure for the trailer - perhaps if you PM him he would send you a more readable version. Then you could upload it to the Documents centre here for others to find in the future.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Looks like a stretched Ventura other than the windows!
Yes it does! That's what i thought when I saw it.

Speaking of Ventura there is one in rough but doable shape for sale here in Yakima. If someone wants a project let me know I will tell you where it is.

I am curious as to what the insides look like in one of those? Is is wood panel walls too?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Now you have a project David! Look forward to following it.

If you haven't seen it member Kevin K posted a picture of a brochure for the trailer - perhaps if you PM him he would send you a more readable version. Then you could upload it to the Documents centre here for others to find in the future.
Thank you for the info, i reached out to Kevin!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #19

How do you post PDF files?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
How do you post PDF files?
If you have PDF that you wish to add to the Document Centre for others to find in the future just go to the home page click on the Document Centre tag and then click add.... that should do it .... I think
Closed Thread