1975 Compact II upgrades - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Jeannette, you really need to check out the Document Center. You'll find a file you can take to a sign shop and get your decals made: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Compact | Hunter Industries

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakgramma View Post
Dave, I am so excited to get started redoing our 1971 Compact Jr. I wonder if you would be willing to help on our project a little.

Someone had painted over the striping and decals so yesterday I removed all of that with Acetone and a razor - yuk! but it's done. Do you know where we can get new Compact Jr decals. We'll get striping locally but would like to have the 2 side and back door decals.

Did you buy a new refrigerator for yours? Was it expensive? and where did you buy it? Ours just has an ice box in it. I can see a lot of advantages to KISS (keeping it simple stupid) when it comes to adding appliances.
A 3 way refrigerator that will fit the Compact-II is the Dometic RM-2193 and it retails for a bit over $760. If you don't already have the two side vents and the air baffles, a propane line & 120 VAC power it will have to be added as well.

Used ones occasionally show up on Craigslist as taken out of damaged tent trailers and slide-in campers.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #17

Name: Jeannette
Trailer: Compact Jr
Oregon
I would like to have a cover/awning for our Compact Jr. Do you know where I could find one?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #18

California
Do you want a cover that's used to cover the entire trailer when stored
or
Do want an awning, to provide shade.

If the latter, where are you planning on attaching it to the trailer,
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #19

Oregon
Well, I was talking about the corogated fiberglass awning I see on the front window of some of the trailers. It lifts up to create the awning.
I didn't think about how it attaches. Since our trailer hasn't ever had one on it may be I shouldn't try adding one. ...any opinion on that?

I also have some questions about covering the interior walls. Our trailer hasn't ever had any coverings on the walls and roof top so it's a good clean slate. After reading some of the posts about removing old vinyl and carpeting I feel pretty blessed about that.

Is there a huge advantage to putting In the diamond quilted vinyl on the interior? We do get condensation in cold weather.
Is that covering expensive (what isn't these days?)
Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #20

California
That's usually called a "Stone Guard", and you would have to find one of the correct size. I don't know if they are available as an accessory or not.

The Diamond pattern material was original in the Compact-II (and I ?) and I would think that it would be very expensive to have installed at this point.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #21

Oregon
A stone guard, hu? OK, well I don't really have to have one.

Sounds like I better leave my little trailer with no interior coverings. I have a commercial sewing shop so do all the work myself. That cuts the cost way down but materials are still expensive.
I'm in the process of replacing all the cushions and curtains; even purchasing through my outlets it's going to run some where around $400. The foam is expensive.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
1975 Compact II clean-up project

I just finished reading the questions/answers that have developed about my build and others. My Compact II was a very stable unit with accessories the Compact I did not include. The front stone guard was a plus and protects the glass from water splashed up on the front of the trailer. The side window awnings will be a challenge to make them become functional again. The awning material won't be a problem, but the support arms and securing those will be a project.

This '75 unit also has an awning channel across the back, over the door, and a set of supports on the tips of the rear bumper. I'll show these features for others to observe.

The Dometic refrigerator was a real plus and one of the features that really attracted me to this unit. The 14" wheels and installed brakes convinced me that I could improve my camping trips. However, I'll miss my alloy wheels on the '74.

Tomorrow, I plan to get my photos of the progress with the cabinetry. I hope that boxing in the cabinets and hiding the wiring doesn't cause me trouble down the road. Using 5mm plywood, 1/2" ply and 3/4" clear pine will probably add about 200 extra pounds to the trailer. The extended cabinetry will necessitate the bed to shrink as well as the interior battery box taking up more of the bed storage box.

Ok Bob, here is your question: What should I ask for my Compact I at the Bandon Rally? I have been debating about selling the Compact I since I started to work on the CII.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #23

Oregon
Registry
Compact II latest pics

My order for some LED reading lights arrived and I installed one over the curbside bench.
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	72606

The traditional RV LED light was placed over the new counter area.

Name:	LED2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	72607

Now for the rear awning channel. I have not seen this awning location used on the few Compact II's or Jr. units that I've seen.

Name:	back awning.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	72598

A previous owner must have mounted the rear awning poles to these special bases on the end of the rear bumper. He also mounted his Bal stabilizers to the bumper.

Name:	bumper and awning mount.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	72599

The right and left bench areas are underway. The right bench required the addition of a battery box as well. The left bench is framed but not finished.

Name:	right bench.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	72601

Name:	left bench.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	72600

The kitchen area is underway as well. Each of the compartments/closet will be closed in, as to cover up the wiring and that 70's linoleum.

Name:	sink and stove.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	72605

Name:	closet6.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	72602

Name:	closet7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	72603

Name:	closet8.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	72604

All the white patches are spackled over staples. I like to paint the cabinetry a two tone, so the cabinet doors will receive the darker color.

This is where I am today.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #24

Oregon
Registry
Compact II interior work

The interior cabinets are boxed in and painted now. The closet and small storage areas are painted the darker of the green colors. The outside of the cabinets will become the light green.

Name:	kitchen1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	73177

Name:	kitchen2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	73178

The outside wall of the closet is primed and the color coat will go on tomorrow. When that wall is complete, I'll put on the other LED reading light.

Most of my time lately has involved the work with the two boxes/bed and storage areas. The water tank has been removed, so that area will house the new breaker box and the propane line. The final walls are secured and will get painted soon.

Name:	kitchen3.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	73179

Before I built the cabinets I had removed the pop top to replace the rusty bolts (32 of those), The diamond pattern material was slightly damaged from the lift mechanism and I decided to replace that with a marine headliner material. The trim surround was stiff and broken and also had to be replaced.

While I had the top off, I decided to put 6 coats of Dep on it. Today I placed the top on the lift mechanism arms and will anchor the bolts soon as well.

Name:	kitchen5.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	73180

Name:	kitchen4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	73181

Our temperature today reached 98 degrees which slowed down the work by early afternoon. I heard on the radio that Portland reached similar temps. I can't wait to get over to Bandon and get some coast weather.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Nice work, Dave. Brings back memories of my Compact II project. Yours looks like it was in pretty good shape when you got it, with no floor rot, etc. Keep the photos coming.

Fran
1974 Compact II
Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #26

Oregon
Registry
Compact II remodel

Thanks Fran, I was hoping you might look in on this build. The design of the dual closet space came from your build. I would have liked to have a nice floor like yours, but just didn't want to go that far.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Glad to share ideas, Dave. That's the great thing about this group, we can all see what others have done, plus help each other figure out the head scratchers.

Keep up the good work!

Fran
Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #28

Oregon
Registry
Almost finished with the build

After the last couple of months of work and no work. I am very close to the finish. All that remains now are the curtains.

One of the last things to build was the mechanism to mount the side window awnings to.

Name:	DSCN1889.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	75295

Here are the pictures of the interior with everything finished, minus those curtains. There will also be a curtain covering up the porta potty and waste basket cabinet.

Name:	DSCN1893.JPG
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	75296

Name:	DSCN1894.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	75297

Name:	DSCN1896.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	75298

Name:	DSCN1898.JPG
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	75299

Name:	DSCN1897.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	75300

Name:	DSCN1900.JPG
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	75301

Name:	DSCN1899.JPG
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	75302

The BAL stabilizers, new 7 pin connector, and the tongue box finish off the front of the trailer.
When I get the awnings completed, I'll get an outside set of photos produced.

Thanks for watching.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg Oregon