1975 Trillium 1300 home at last - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I will look into the Zep and try to give it a go. There are never too many replies. Keep giving me advice. I do have some background in Fiberglass. When I was in my 20's I worked for a marina building Fiberglass Sail boats. So I have a good idea what people are talking about in the repairs.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #16

Ontario
So I started to do some more to the Trillium before the rain came. I got out my buffer and used some rubbing compound to remove a lot of the marks and dirt. I then went back over it with a bucket of hot soapy water. You can see the difference in what I can't reach in the centre right now.

Attachment 77649

There are a lot of little holes in the gelcoat that need to be repaired before winter. This will stop the moisture for getting in.

Attachment 77648

The trailer is really coming up quite well. There are some little spots that need to be fixed in the fiberglass. The front has a crack with some pieces breaking away. Looks like the back corner has been hit as there is a piece broken out the size of a dime but some spider cracks. I may do all these repairs and look into getting it painted. Maybe next year some time.

I opened up the awning. It is in great conditions. I have a bag of poles but I haven't put it up yet. I washed it and it cleaned right up. The bag is rotten. I have removed it now and can take it to a guy sown the street who makes boat tops and recovers soft tops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Trillium shine 003.jpg Views: 47 Size: 188.8 KB ID: 77650" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	<a title=Trillium shine 008.jpg Views: 45 Size: 202.0 KB ID: 77651" style="margin: 2px" />

Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #17

Ontario
Don't know why the pictures didn't post. I'll try them again.

Name:	Trillium shine 009.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	77652

Name:	Trillium shine 013.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	77653
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #18

Ontario
I also noticed the door latch. Has some cracking so I will have to be gentle closing the door until I look at this repair a little closer.

Name:	Trillium shine 012.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	77654
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
I will look into the Zep and try to give it a go. There are never too many replies. Keep giving me advice. I do have some background in Fiberglass. When I was in my 20's I worked for a marina building Fiberglass Sail boats. So I have a good idea what people are talking about in the repairs.
You may like many of old school folks with a marine back ground find you prefer the old school method of shining it up. As you know will not peel due to rock chips and doesnt need to be redone after a few years. Also recommend sticking to the old school method if you are any thoughts of having the trailer painted in the future.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #20

Ontario
Thanks Carol. I have no set plans yet. Painting would probably not be until after next year. It is lots of prep to get it ready. I like the look of the trailer all shinny and am reading the thread Not Poly but it is over 50 pages long. So far no mention of Zep just Red Max. I'll keep reading and tinkering. We've run out of good weather here as we have a week of rain forecasted.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Don red max is the same product as zep red max was made by zep but is no longer available
Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #22

Ontario
I know the thread Is from 2010 so while out and about I will look for Zep. I'll start with Home Depot then Lowes. I find a lot of products just aren't available in Ontario.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #23

Ontario
So Home Depot has several Zep products for the floor. A bunch of cleaners and a few finishers. Which one am I looking for?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Ontario
Don get a gallon of floor sealer and a gallon of wet look floor finish it will be enough to do the trailer many times . First thing is to wet sand it which can be done in any conditions rain or shine it will make the trailer smooth and remove most surface marks if you don't want to do this you can just go over the clean trailer. Next is to apply 1 to 2 coats of sealer this has to be done when you have at least a 4 hour dry condition time if you apply to late in the day the Moisture at night will effect the outcome.next is to apply 3to 5 coats of the wet look finish although it sounds like allot it goes on fairly easy and you can keep on applying coat after coat with no waiting between coats as it dry s quickly. Remember you are not waxing so there is no buffing or rubbing . You should be applying the zep with a microfibre sponge that is similar in color to your trailer in thin even coats taking care to go back and check for runs before they dry works best with 2 people if possible . Don take your time and when your finished you'll be amazed at the results. The only issue you may have is if you have snow on the roof a long time it may lift some of the finish just recoat
Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #25

Ontario
Thanks for all the instruction. I'd like to fix the little chips in the gel oat on the roof. I also have one spot in the front that either needs to be re fiberglassed or some silicone put over it to seal it until next summer. If I run out of time because of weather I'll do it first thing in the spring. I wonder if I should tarp it for the winter? I'm going to print off your instructions.

Hope to check the bearings out tomorrow. If all is good my wife and I will try an over nighter next weekend. Might have to even do it in the driveway as most camp grounds are closed.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #26

Ontario
I can't seem to find Zep sealer. Here is the pic of the wet look. Is this the right product?

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	77758
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Ontario
Don that's the right stuff the sealer is usually sold along side it . You should be able to find it at HD , Loews can tire , u can also use the finish as a sealer but I find it works a little easier with the sealer
Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #28

Ontario
I'll buy it tomorrow and check again for the sealer. I'm hoping it is nice on the weekend then I can repair the two spots in the Fiberglass and then Zep it.

Tags
trillium