We now have a new floor! I spent yesterday laying down the vinyl planks, and adding a metal trim.
It ended up taking longer than I expected – I started at 9am, and didn’t finish until 3pm, with 45 minutes for lunch. Still, I’m very pleased with the results.
COST: The total cost so far, including tax, is $89.02. I still have to buy one strip of stair nosing @ $13.97 to edge the dinette area, so I’m looking at a grand total of $103.69.
MATERIALS: All materials come from Home Depot. I used one box of Allure Traffic Master vinyl planks @ $59.52, in Catskill Pine colour. TrafficMASTER Allure | TrafficMASTER Allure 6 Inch. x 36 Inch. Catskill Pine Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. f t./case) | Home Depot Canada
The box looks like this:
And I used had three strips of metal moulding at $8.42 each. Alexandria Moulding | Metal Cap Trim Mira Lustre 1/4 In. x 3/4 In. x 8 Ft. | Home Depot Canada
. It looks like this:
The stair trim is this, but in silver. Shur-Trim | Stair Nosing Floor Moulding, Hammered Gold - 1-1/8 Inch | Home Depot Canada
INSTALLATION: You need to be careful with the planks! There is JUST enough in one box to do the whole trailer. I had half of one plank left over, plus a few very small off-cuts. Same story with the metal trim – I had a few off-cuts, but I pretty much used up all three strips.
The planks are great to work with – you just score the back with a sharp knife and snap the boards to size. They are self-adhesive, so no glue to deal with.
I started at the door and worked towards the kitchenette. I thought about removing all the black glue gunk, but figured it was going to be covered anyway and decided to save myself the grief of trying to remove it.
It gets tricky under the icebox and around that awkward bump that pops out in the middle of the kitchenette. I used the sharp lino cutter (which you use to score the planks) to whittle out a half moon shape.
The trim was very tricky to get in under the planks, and stay there. It keeps popping out. I may consider using some very short screws (that don’t go all the way to the fiberglass floor) or some adhesive.
Next up was the dinette area. This was relatively easy, except for the small triangular pieces at the edges. I messed up here and cut off the adhesive strip accidentally, so one of the triangles is now floating – I will need to affix to floor with glue as it keeps moving.
Here is the finished product